• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Studebaker US6 - identify, please.

ogotay81

Hello everyone.
My name is Peter, and I'm from Poland. Last time I got this lady, but I don't know anything about her, and very little about Studebakers at all. Could you tell mi something more about this car?
studebaker_forum.jpg

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
David Doyle's book on US Military Vehicles would be your best bet. Have you asked the curators at the Military Museum in Warszawa if they have one or some information? What city in Polska are you in? I have friends in Poznan, Warszawa, Ostrowiec Sw., and Krakow.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Welcome to the site. A lot of US6 Studebakers were sent to the Soviet Union via lend lease during WWII
The US6 was built on chassis with two wheelbases, 157 in (399 cm) long wheelbase (LWB) used in most models, and the 148 in (376 cm) short wheelbase (SWB), used in semi tractors and dump trucks. All models had 7.50-20” tires and dual rear tires.
Over 100,000 of these trucks were provided to the Soviet Union. These trucks were so durable in War duty that noted military vehicle historian Clell Ballard has stated: Soviet Union via the Persian Corridor. The Soviets found them a good platform for "Stalin Organ" Katyusha rocket launchers, although it was not their prime use in the Soviet Union. It fulfilled many roles in the Red Army, such as pulling artillery and was renowned for its ruggedness and reliability. The truck was affectionately known as the Studer by Soviet troops.
The Russian 6×6 truck ZiS 151 is a copy of the US6 _ZiS-151_chassis_in_a_museum_in_Chisinau,_Moldova_2.jpg

ogotay81

Hello Mike, after 3 years I made a statement to do a restoration of this Studebaker. The weakest point of my project car is the cab. Do you know if anyone has some for sale?
246_s.jpg

nattieleather

@ogotay81 You'll have more luck checking your corner of the world for a cab then you will the US. As stated before the US-6 was not the US's may 6x6 that was the GMC CCKW so most of the US-6s were sent to the Soviets. I would think any of the former Soviet countries and even Russia its self would be a better place to look for a cab than in the US. Good luck with your restoration and keep posting pictures of your progress.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@ogotay81 You'll have more luck checking your corner of the world for a cab then you will the US. As stated before the US-6 was not the US's may 6x6 that was the GMC CCKW so most of the US-6s were sent to the Soviets. I would think any of the former Soviet countries and even Russia its self would be a better place to look for a cab than in the US. Good luck with your restoration and keep posting pictures of your progress.
PowerTool.jpgogotay81, I agree with nattieleather on checking Europe and Russia for US-6 truck parts. Finding one there will save you a lot of money in shipping costs across the Atlantic. The US sent over 152,000 6X6 & 4x4 trucks to Russia during WW2, and I'm sure some are still doing duty on farms and businesses there today. Here are some pics of the various models of trucks that Studebaker produced. Also some models came with Hercules JXD 6 cylinder engines. Keep the pictures coming, and wish you all the best with your restoration!!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks