• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What damage can occur if a M936A2 is towed without transfer case in neutral

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why does it have dex in it? That has been covered in other threads and I personally wouldn't recommend it especially on a wrecker.
Came with it from the army/NG in there. I've never switched any of my other trucks either, if the oil was good enough for the military it's good enough for me.

Csm Davis

Came with it from the army/NG in there. I've never switched any of my other trucks either, if the oil was good enough for the military it's good enough for me.
I would do a complete flush I bet some private pile dumped in the dex thinking that's what it was supposed to have in it. And then they turned it in because it was slipping so they can get a new truck.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would do a complete flush I bet some private pile dumped in the dex thinking that's what it was supposed to have in it. And then they turned it in because it was slipping so they can get a new truck.
The fluid shows no sign of being cross contaminated, looks like nice clean dexron. Think I should still change back to oil? Seems to be shifting and running fine, as well as a 5 ton that weighs twice as much as a 5 ton normally does anyway :)

Jeepsinker

You just said it, you are moving twice the weight with the same transmission and thinner fluid. You would be wise to go back to a heavier duty fluid. At least switch back to a good AW 36 or AW42 hydraulic fluid.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On another note Got my front winch working. The control for wind/unwind was stuck in the wind position. I still have a lot of trouble getting the clutch lever on the winch to move from in/out positions though. Any thoughts on that?

knelezen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it runs good and strong in first and won't shift to second it is probably a broken governor spring in the transmission. You can remove the governor by going to the rear left of the trans and locating the governor cover. It is a square cover the size of a beer can with 4 bolts at each corner. Remove those 4bolts and carefully remove the cover. There may be an O-rings or gasket. Check the springs on the fly weight side to see if one is broken. Also check the governor filter located just underneath the governor at the rear of the trans

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it runs good and strong in first and won't shift to second it is probably a broken governor spring in the transmission. You can remove the governor by going to the rear left of the trans and locating the governor cover. It is a square cover the size of a beer can with 4 bolts at each corner. Remove those 4bolts and carefully remove the cover. There may be an O-rings or gasket. Check the springs on the fly weight side to see if one is broken. Also check the governor filter located just underneath the governor at the rear of the trans
Wow how was this resurrected? It shifts fine except 5th gear lockup doesn't happen, Still haven't gotten around to figuring it out. I Just drive at 55 or so top speed. Gotta be the lockup solenoid but I just never get around to some things.

dmetalmiki

Took it out on the road around the block. Took forever to get up to speed and shift, but trans is working fine. I have to wonder though, towing something will it move at all? :)
"Yes!" just slow and sure. You wont't be going anywhere in a 'rush' though.

I can have a char break between gear shifts on my wrecker, (Manual gearbox), But I get there, And I just love it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks