• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got me a movie mog!!(PICS)

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Well after years of wanting a unimog, I got one. Bought it from a guy who has over 300 working original military vehicles used in the studios. He has an unbelievable collection however to protect his privacy I cannot give any more info until I have his permission. He named at least 4 movies I have heard of that this was in, one of the most recent being Jarhead. It has been painted to look old and run down but is in very good shape. Still had the original issue tool set, wheel chok. No rust, only a little driver side fenderdamage. New crate motor was installed a couple years ago with very little usage since. The only drawback is it has a clutch propblem. Hard to shift, from the 10 minutes I got to tinker with it today, it seems the clutch isnt disengaging all the way to let it shift, hopefully just a minor adjustment. Either way for the price I got it for I cant complain if it needs anew clutch, new motor or a new tranny. Its a 404 with a gas engine. The batteries went dead from someone leaving the key on. I dont know much about these, but its like when you first meet a girl you really like, everything is new and exciting. It is a 1964 and came directly from the German military to the guy I bought it from. Enough about it, here are the pics. Remember it was painted to look old a beat up, its actually in very good condition, the passenger seat is out and the engine cover off but its all complete.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats cool. I love the weathered look of that truck. Anyone here know how to paint like that? BTW Devin, I finally got your patches, try to get them out to you Monday.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thanks guys! No this gentleman is in Los Angeles county. I think I like the paint so much I might leave it, Ill make the interior nice and uniform. I finally got to sit down and look at the import paperwork. Turns out its a 1962 Unimog S 404.1, whatever that means. These things have some really cool features. I have to work 16 hrs tomorrow but will get some more pics on Sunday of some of the features. My duece sold on Ebay today and he will be coming out from Texas to drive it home in a couple of weeks. I told him about steel soldiers and I'm pretty sure he will be joining us soon. My neighbors are going to kill me with all these vehicles here. Anybody know of any manuals in English for these? I have no idea how to start or drive it, its all in German.

Pinz25086

Kenny, By trade I am an artist for a major theme park here in Orlando and could paint your truck to look like that. I make stuff look old all of the time. Send me a PM if you are serious about painting your truck(s). Did you ever change out the torque rod on the tractor?
Wayne

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
LOL, No Wayne, haven't changed out the torque rod yet. I did have Mike patch it up so I can drive it. The truck still hasn't been washed yet. So much to do, so little time. I've got a jeep project coming up. If I go that route, I may query you on olding it up a bit.
KE

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great lookin truck Devin! There's a guy by me that has a 404 with a radio box on it. He has some manuals in english. I'll ask him. He might know where to get a canvas/vinyl for for the rear. Also, Mercedes is the parent company for Freightliner now. You can get parts thru Freightliner if you need them.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Great looking 404 Devin. I had a lot of fun with mine. I did a lot of repairs and general PM to mine so PM me if you need some info.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Well I used the duece for one last mission today. Hooked up the tow bar to the front and pushed the mog up into the garage, fits very nicely. Chris I have too many questions so I am just going to buy all the manuals. I cant even figure out how to get the hood open. I found the rear canvas cover in the bed under a bunch of dead leaves and owl poop. Ive got tomorrow off and hopefully my wife will let me play for a bit. Is the shift pattern just 3 clicks up on the shifter with a high and low? How do I find neutral? I dont know what lever does what, I feel real stupid.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My neighbors are going to kill me with all these vehicles here.
If they are patient, the Deuce will be gone soon, and the Mog will fit in the garage

Anybody know of any manuals in English for these? I have no idea how to start or drive it, its all in German.
This may be a good time to learn to read German.

Ive got tomorrow off and hopefully my wife will let me play for a bit. Is the shift pattern just 3 clicks up on the shifter with a high and low? How do I find neutral? I don't know what lever does what, I feel real stupid.
New toys can be so much fun!

but its like when you first meet a girl you really like, everything is new and exciting
Maybe I need to buy one of these too, been a long time since I felt like that!

Remember it was painted to look old a beat up, its actually in very good condition
Funny, my trucks are just the opposite!

Enough about it, here are the pics
Yeah right! It's gonna take months, if not years to talk this truck to death!

Nice to see that you have a new truck that you are enjoying! :wink: Thanks for sharing it too!

Hey Devin, Congrats on getting your Mog so soon and the selling of your deuce. That guy got a heck of a deal and you slid right into another vehicle without even a hiccup.
What's really good is what Will had to say about getting parts from Freightliner. That would be real handy for parts.

Keep the pics coming and your progress.

BTW Flüssig lesen Grundkenntnisse in Englisch

This may help: http://dict.leo.org/ende?lang=de&lp=ende&search=

jh1990

ich denke, du sollst lehren deutsch, ja? ich habe funf jahre deutsch klasse aber ich kann nicht lesen sehr gut, ich kann sprechen sher gut aber nicht lesen.

(i think you should learn german, yes? i had 5 years of german classes but i cant read very good, i can speak it very good, but cant read to good.)

nice looking paint job...congrats on the find.

Mike_Pop

Devin,

Congrats on owning a Mog! There are things you can do to learn about your Mog:

1. Get on the Mog mailing list: http://tx4x4.com/mog.html You will find tons of information from Mog owners.
2. Don't go to Freightliner or Mercedes for parts. They won't have a clue as to what you are talking about. Instead, try Eurotech Services in Oregon or Expedition Imports in California. www.expedition-imports.com or www.eurotech-services.com
3. Do not try to modify your Mog's suspension. Use the Mog first and see what it can do. You will be amazed.
4. Go to Northwest Mogfest in August. You will meet a few hundred Mog, Pinzgauer, and Volvo enthusiasts. It's well worth the experience.
5. Starting your Mog...real simple. Turn the key to the on position, pull the choke, press the button.

My first Mog was a 1987 U1300L (which is my avatar). I purchased an S404.1 two years ago and didn't use it much so I sold it. They are both very capable machines. If you want to see pics of my U1300L, click here: http://new.photos.yahoo.com/junormaneureka/album/576460762329178453

If you have any questions feel free to email me directly at MPop5555@aol.com

Good luck!

Mike Pop

DSD277

Congrats Devin

As Mike Pop said, join the mog email list and stay away from Freightliner. Scott at Expedition Imports bought literally hundreds of tons of NOS 404 Mog parts in Europe last year.
The 404 has a 6 speed trans with a forward/reverse lever that works in 1st and 2nd gear only. Takes a little getting use to :wink: . There is no hi/lo t case in them. I have a 1300 like Mike's, and have a 8 speed trans with a reverse lever works in the bottom 4 gears.

Cheers
Dave Dunn

btw there is usually a Mogfest held at Calico every October

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thanks for the info fella's, the mog fest sounds like alot of fun. I got a couple of hours to tinker today so I installed 2 new batteries and started trouble shooting the clutch and found I am missing one of the forks on the pressure plate that the throw out bearing pushes on. I think I could get another one in there without too much trouble, the only other option is to unbolt the motor and move it forward enough to put in a new clutch. Anybody have an old "F S" brand pressure plate for a unimog they want to sell? I took a couple of pictures of where the missing piece is but its hard to tell if you dont know what your looking at.

Attachments

MOGSTER

kirt jackson at unimogs west phone (530)4778768 he is the mog manfor used parts and tech tips. check your pivot ball for the fork for wear, this was a problem for my buddies mog if you have to pull the clutch,use an alinment tool for an 88 1ton chevy 3speed 454 it fits purfectly did on mine i replaced my trans.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks