• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got me a movie mog!!(PICS)

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thanks for the input Mogster. I ended up spending $750 on a complete clutch set up and all the factory manuals (in english). Slowly been doing the clutch an hour or two each night as time permits. Of all the things I've done automotive, this has to be the biggest pain in the butt! The old clutch was just about brand new prior to the pressure plate failure and from what I can tell the clutch disk was installed backwards causing the failure by coming in contact with the spinning pressure plate while the disk was stopped,breaking a prong off. Anyway I found yet another use for a high lift jack! I'm at the half way point and hopefully will get it finished up by next week.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
cranetruck said:
Man, that's tight, don't know if I'd like to work on that.
So right Bjorn. After about 10 minutes of working on this I'd have the torch out generating more room.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Devin,

Sorry to hear the duece had to go but happy to see you got a mog. I also think the paint job looks cool. Good luck with that project.

DSD277

That's one of the beuaties of the SBU mogs. They have remote trannies, and a tilting cab. .... remove the shaft to the tranny and bell housing and replace the clutch :D

Dave Dunn

DSD277

I replaced the glass in a 2450 a couple months back, it stood about 5" taller than my 1300, and the bed was a good 3 1/2' longer. Surprisingly, a typical 1300 is about 6" shorter in length than a full size American regular cab pickup, so a 2450 with a 14' bed would be between a extended and a crewcab pickup in length

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hey DSD277, were you on the 210 west today around 4 pm? If so I honked at you as I drove by in my cute little white volkswagon. It looked just like the one in your avatar with "MTN" as the first 3 letters on the license plate.

DSD277

Wasn't me, though I had the TD out earlier, I spent most the day working on modifying the spare tire carrier on my 1300... and creating more work, I might add :(

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
FINALLY GOT THE CLUTCH DONE! Finished with the clutch 2 weeks ago but have been waiting for parts that needed replacing as I went along. Installed a new radiator,new hoses (15 I think),electronic ignition,plugs,wires, and a few other odds and ends. At 2100 hrs tonight, I fired her up and drove around the block for the first time with no doors,seats,windshield,top or engine covers. Runs great. Now I can focus on the paint and body. The buyer of my duece flew out last week and picked it up and drove it back to Texas. I think the value of my neighborhood just went up with no dueces parked on the street.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the value of my neighborhood just went up with no dueces parked on the street.
Thats subjective! If I had to move into a neighborhood with no deuces, I'd bring my own. Wait, I'd bring my own anyway.

vtunimog

Interesting Mog ! Great to see another mog owner out there. THe clutch issue is a big one. The arms fly off the pressure plate on a regular basis if they are not adjusted at least once a year. You can replace the arm in place but you will need lots of patience. There are some great parts guys out there, I don't do parts just for that reason, I do have a rebuilt pressure plate though I can part with cheap if you are looking. Feel free to call me and I will walk you through the arm replacement process. My number is 800-890-5797.

As for MB - avoid them they are passenger car people and freak at Unimog part no's. Freightliner is great for later model Mogs. Remember these are the only Unimogs with Gas engines (from the 220 series cars) and parts are avilable. They made 60,000 plus of this truck in various forms and parts are still floating around.
Best of Luck !

Chris M

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Great to see you got er done. It is always cool riding aound the hood with the just finished motor or clutch job. My first tour like that was with my CJ3B with my good friend holding a gallon can of gas on the frame sitting on a 4X4 with me sitting on the other side of it. We no sooner got it back in my Dads shop then a cop came driving by most likly looking for us.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Okay, a little late on the update but here it is. Had a gallon of left over semigloss OD green so I sprayed it on with very little prep work due to the 8-10 layers of paint being too much to sand. Still need to get the top either repaired or replaced, some tires are a little weather checked but have good tread. Have an oil leak from the filter housing but have a new gasket for that. Jumped through all the hoops to get it registered in California and paid $415/year because its technically a flatbed according to the inspector. I might be buying a radiobox to put on and that will bring the registration fees down. Yesterday I picked up my M105A2 trailer from Barstow and have to say that I got a smoking deal! Its a 1993 turtle mountain without a drop of rust or any dents, all the side racks and top bows,great tires all for $100 plus GL fees and the $60 SF-97 form fee, its the nicest 105 trailer I have seen, definately a keeper! I was having thoughts of selling the Mog but have decided adding a turbocharger will cure my under powered blues.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks