Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Biodiesel

Thanks
    Thanked 2,074 Times in 1,122 Posts

So I'm assuming that the reason farm tanks are the worst because they always have a lot of air space in them and they sit for long periods of time? Could they be improved by adding some kind of circulating system with a filter inline?
    I sink Jeeps... That is all
    1969 Kaiser Jeep M35a2 w/winch (Daily driver, no joke)
    Now a hot rod deuce: 6BT swap in progress, Waterloo overdrive, 2 micron fuel filtration installed, riding on 11.00r20s
    1971 M151A2 w/ ROPS
    3: 87' M35a2c Air Force trucks
    1991 BMY M936a2 wrecker
    2: M1061 flat trailers
    1: Fresh rebuilt and load tested good Mep003a genset
    I do Fort Polk and other recoveries in my state. I can be reached at 337-401-2470

Corporal
    Thanks

It's the generosity of you, the SS members, to spend the time and effort to better inform we fellow members (even sometimes without ridicule or contempt for our (my) ignorance on many subjects). Thank you, jlxb, for your generous contribution above. One of many that makes this site so unique and valuable to us.

Wow! I did not expect that - you are very welcome.

Here in RI biodiesel is about .60/gallon cheaper and locally produced

Especially if you can get it directly from the producer. In October this last year, we saw the value of all Biodiesel feedstock oils fall by as much as 40% while Diesel prices have not fallen. This value difference has not reflected at all in the nation wide retail value of blended fuels. But it is if you can get it in high percentages from the manufacturer or their nearest distributors.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepsinker View Post
    So I'm assuming that the reason farm tanks are the worst because they always have a lot of air space in them and they sit for long periods of time? Could they be improved by adding some kind of circulating system with a filter inline?
    It is common practice in the UK, where biodiesel is far bigger than it is here in the USA, to add gasoline at about 5% to biodiesel, which reduces gelling, and forces water out of solution with the biodiesel, which prevents algae formation.
    1969 M756A2 running on WVO plus gasoline

Corporal
    Thanks

Yes! Time, moisture and air exposure. But it doesn't start there. They are also most likely to be getting their fuel delivered from a small nearby tank farm. Big tanks, lots of air and huge amounts of condensation in the tanks. I learned that when I was buying tanker loads from small suppliers (to blend with my BD), don't be the first delivery in the morning! All that water sitting in the bottom of their tank gets delivered to my tank. I had to start testing truckloads for water content before allowing them to unload. They would get really mad having to wait and outraged if I rejected the truck.

Continuous filtration will catch particulates, living and dead biologics. It may not stop completely a biological entity. However, I bet it would slow it down and/or stop the dead bodies from settling in the tank. They tend to bloom and die off like algae in a pond. Doesn't do anything to improve the economy of fuel. Electricity costs money.

If you have water in the tank with biodiesel, constant high shear pumping action will actually combine the molecules into an emulsion like mayonnaise. You will know it if you see it. The only way to break it is with heat - 165 F. Turns right back into BD and water. we were always told that oil and water do not mix. Not quite true. an emulsion like this can be more than 50% water. If it is cold enough, it will never break on its own.

Jeff

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jlxb View Post
    If you have water in the tank with biodiesel, constant high shear pumping action will actually combine the molecules into an emulsion like mayonnaise. You will know it if you see it. The only way to break it is with heat - 165 F. Turns right back into BD and water. we were always told that oil and water do not mix. Not quite true. an emulsion like this can be more than 50% water. If it is cold enough, it will never break on its own.

Jeff
    Thanks for the useful information on biodiesel, Jeff. I do not use pumps when moving my waste oil-gasoline blends, due to the problem of emulsification. Instead I use pneumatic pumping, which is just producing a positive pressure above the fluid needing to be moved to a tank that has a lower pressure.

Also, a small amount of gasoline can be added to emulsified biodiesel and it will break the surface tension and rapidly force the water in the emulsion out of solution.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Beyond Biodiesel For This Useful Post:

svd dragunov (11-28-2014)

Thanks

This is fun. Came across this from a newsfeed from CFACT.
    HAte to do a “zombie post” resurrection, but searches for “biodiesel” led to this forum, this post.

Germany's fighter jets in Schleswig-Holstein grounded after too much bio-diesel was mixed into the jet fuel.
    Share the fact from the FAZ (German).
    (Google translation) The Luftwaffe tornadoes of the German Armed Forces at the air base Jagel in Schleswig-Holstein have not been allowed to fly for a week. The kerosene was mixed with too much biodiesel. This was noticed during a routine check last Monday, report the "Schleswig-Nachrichten". "The tolerance values are minimally exceeded," said Colonel Kristof Conrath of the Tactical Air Force Squadron 51 "Immelmann" the newspaper.
    "It's not that the aircraft would fall from the sky," he said. Nevertheless, it is of course true that at a limit overrun the fuel will not continue to be used and the planes remain on the ground. For safety reasons, all tanks of the aircraft must be flushed.
    The cause of the contamination was still unclear, it was said. The breakdown is particularly annoying for the Luftwaffe, since the training of new Tornado pilots already three months in arrears.
    Also on Monday it was announced that the Bundeswehr for deployment in 2019 in the rapid reaction force of the NATO not only missing tanks, but also protective vests, winter clothing and tents. This is according to "Rheinische Post" from a paper of the army command.
    ___

Do you think Germany's adversaries would be grounded by Green fuel problems? What do you say Vladimir

”Hey, PFC Snuffy, go mix up some of that Biodiesel with the JP-8 to make the hippies happy.”

”Okay, sarge, I’m on it.”

[Meine einzige Frage - für Guyfang oder - ist, “Gibt’s auch ein “PFC Snuffy” im Freiwillige Blundeswehr?]

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/politik/i...-15456789.html
    Last edited by NormB; 02-21-2018 at 23:23.
    A day without rivnuts is like a day without a Humvee mod.

MEP-802A TQG 04-2016
    M1038 W/W 6.2L NA 9-2016
    MEP-803a TQG 09-2018

3 Star General
    Thanks

I usually hang out over in the Auxiliary equipment forum section, specifically as it relates to MEP generators. I decided to look over here in alternative fuels to see what you guys were saying about biodiesel and concentrations greater than 5% and found this thread.

In my quest for answers, I ran across this enlightening article and thought I would share here to get your thoughts/comments:

https://breakingenergy.com/2014/07/3...ame-biodiesel/

I must say that "JLXB's" post #8 above seems to correlate with several points the above article raises.
    GEN #1 House Gen PU-751/M: 1986 MEP-002a/M116A2 w/Aux Tank & OEM cover
    GEN #2 Spare Gen PU-751/M: 1991 MEP-002a/M116A2 w/Aux Tank & OEM cover
    GEN #3 Shop/Barn Gen NF-2 Enclosure: 19XX MEP-002a w/Aux Tank
    GEN #4 Spare Gen PU-751/M: 1991 MEP-002a/M116A2 (a work in process)

* Disclaimer - My comments on this forum are based on my opinion and my experiences only. It is your responsibility to verify any information before using or to hire a professional.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chainbreaker For This Useful Post:

Beyond Biodiesel (03-17-2018), NormB (03-16-2018)

Thanks

Thank-you, Chainbreaker for posting a very useful article.

https://breakingenergy.com/wp-conten...odge-fame1.jpg

The above issues, and especially the above photo, suggest that biodiesel has the same problems of engine sludging that WVO-based fuel blends, as well as heated two-tank SVO systems, have been found to have. I propose that this is due to 3 problems: 1] incomplete combustion of alternative fuels in naturally aspirated diesel engines; infrequent oil changes; 3] and finally incomplete removal of HMPEs and gum from the feed stock for making the alternative diesel fuel, and not directly related to either biodiesel or low melting point triglycerides. This suggests that the biodiesel process is not a solution to preventing crud formation on the valve lifters and rocker arm from burning WVO-based fuels (discussed at length at the link). It also suggests that those who study biodiesel have not figured out the problem.

I have observed this problem in a naturally aspirated 6.2L diesel engine. My observations suggest the problem seems to be components of the feed stock of vegetable oil-based fuels are not completely combusted in a naturally aspirated diesel engine, and/or not completely removed in the alternative fuel making process.

The suggestion here is:

1] Never burn alternative diesel fuels in a naturally aspirated diesel engine.
    2] Change the engine oil regularly (every 3,000 miles diesel engine that is burning alternative diesel fuels.
    3] Always add an oil additive, such as Lucas Oil treatment after every oil change.
    Last edited by Beyond Biodiesel; 03-17-2018 at 11:49.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Beyond Biodiesel For This Useful Post:

Chainbreaker (03-17-2018)

Thanks

Hello. I am new to this site and have been reading some forums about conversions and bio fuel. I would like to know is there any info on conversions on steelsoldiers forum done on a 1956 M135 Gas to Diesel Swap. And what kind of engine can be used to replace the 302 GMC in a M135? Any info on this topic would be muchly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2