• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine Swap

hayshaker

Hello people, I work for a Fire District that has several 6x6's in our fleet. We recently aquired a 210hp multi-fuel engine. We though it was for a 2 1/2 ton, Turns out it actually belongs in a 5 ton.

We have some concerns, will we tear up transfer cases or drivelines? We are carrying 1000 gal. water plus pump and gear.

Any feedback will be helpful.

FSBruva

hayshaker-

I can't answer your question about the engine, but I can tell you that you should add your location to your profile. It's a separate operation, as the profile doesn't get any information from the location in the personal information. It's in CONTROL PANEL and EDIT PROFILE.

Hope there's someone out there who can give you a quick answer to your question.

Matt

Trango

The LDS spits out more power than the LDT and has a bigger turbo, from what I understand. Same basic block but different internals.

Bob

Monster Man

quick question regarding this- I was always under the impression the 5 ton had a longer front clip to accomodate the larger engine. Is that only some model engines?

thanks

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The LDS will generate more heat. As long as you mind the temp gauge you will be OK.

Desert Rat

MM,
For the Mack and Cummins engines the 5-ton front end was elongated. They use the same mounts, just beefier, as the LDS. The LDS was smaller, so there was no need to shrink the 5-ton compartment down.

MVtrucker

I've never performed the LDS/LDT swap, but I do know that you'll have to rotate the oil pan end-for-end and relocate the oil sump. I think that I read something about moving the dip stick, too. If you do the swap, you'll really appreciate the extra power. I have driven M35A2's with the 5-ton LDS in them and it's quite impressive.

hayshaker

We pretty much have figured most of the small configuration problems already. The LDS engine is well on its way into the 2.5 ton already. We aquired this engine from another fire dept. through FEPP.

I will keep the forum informed with updates as things progress. Hopefully by the end of the week it should be ripping down the road.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks