• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What to do about stubborn M105 trailer plug

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On my new ( to me) 1966 M105A2 trailer, the plug was very difficult to get attached to my M35A2. And in my whopping 2.5 mile drive home the plug disconnected from the bouncing. Because obviously I only had it *barely* connected.

I'm scratching my head here wondering how to "push it in harder". Yes, I was lined up with the 12-o'clock notch and not trying to force it in wrong. I'd hit the plug with a rubber mallet if there was a decent place to do so...

So I'm wondering if the rubber dry rot was the culprit. My housing appears in equal, if not slightly better condition than I see current online auction listings. The plug nor the trucked were especially dirty either.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396880841.501762.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396880858.175454.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396880869.318810.jpg

Oh, and because we all love pictures, here's some more of the trailer. This thing is super easy to roll around on the driveway, even all by myself. I was well surprised. It was in better condition than I expected, given the age. Appears to be used very little other than likely a generator bolted into it at one time, hacked out holes in the tailgate, and surface rust from sitting, and once upon a time someone drove it with the rear landing leg still down (the foot is a bit bent, but still good otherwise). The tires are better than what's on my truck, virtually new.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396881199.453308.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396881216.049803.jpg

Last edited:

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do have to say, I wasn't looking to get a trailer at this time, but I couldn't let a good location and price pass me up.

This is the first trailer that I've ever owned and I am absolutely in love with it. ;) It follows my deuce perfectly, and they look SHARP together!

I spray mine with (I think its called) pb Blaster lubricant. It sure helps getting the plug "plugged" in all the way. I use it on all my semi trailers, those 12 pin plugs can be a pain in the butt!

I spray the whole plug under the dust cover. Makes it much easier to plug in.

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On my m923, I could never get trailer lights to work properly. The cover spring plate was installed correctly but what I found is that the plug had been installed 90* off. The bolts were covered in carc so it did not look like it had been touched from factory. Alignment notch and most letters were worn off from the trailer connector being forced to mate repeatedly.

Once I rotated the plug, all was good :)

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I spray mine with (I think its called) pb Blaster lubricant. It sure helps getting the plug "plugged" in all the way. I use it on all my semi trailers, those 12 pin plugs can be a pain in the butt!

I spray the whole plug under the dust cover. Makes it much easier to plug in.
I've ever only used the ol' PB Blaster on rusted parts, never occurred to me that it is still a lubricating oil. Great idea - even if just "lube it up dummy".

[thumbzup]

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The GL and NG guys used WD40 to lubricate the plugs when I picked up trailers, probably because that's what they had, and I've done the same. I would think electrical contact grease might be the way to go, as it wouldn't evaporate. When that plug rubber gets old and hard, it doesn't flex very good when connecting.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any spray lube will get the job done for sure. I've also seen the cover on the wrong way. The cover on the truck is actually supposed to lock into the notch on the trailer plug. I've had one or two that fought me every time I put them together. I now carry a can of silicone spray. I'm told it's better for the rubber and it is the same stuff I use to rope in glass.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does sound like what I have is all properly oriented the correct way, as I was able to get the receptacle cover on my truck to fit into the notch on the trailer plug.

Lubricant that's not harmful to the rubber is a good reminder, easy to forget that not all lubricant is created equal.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It also looks like the metal ring inside the plug is slightly bent near the alignment slot. Or it may just be the picture.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It also looks like the metal ring inside the plug is slightly bent near the alignment slot. Or it may just be the picture.
I think it is bent a little. Doesn't the metal housing of the trailer plug fit inside of the deuce's receptacle? With the deuce's receptacle lip between the plug rubber and metal plug housing? If that's the case I didn't see it mattering too much, unless it's also making that alignment slot tight.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks