• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Artisan's M916

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Brad, I lied to ya. The crank is NOT the same. I started thinking about things and remembered that .gov had old style small cams that use a taper nose crank. The NHC crank will fit in your engine but will not work due to the nose configuration/damper style.

I apologize man.

Artisan

Brad, I lied to ya. The crank is NOT the same. I started thinking about things and remembered that .gov had old style small cams that use a taper nose crank. The NHC crank will fit in your engine but will not work due to the nose configuration/damper style.

I apologize man.
For arguments sake I will call the 2 cranks Tapered Nose and Square Nose.

Confused again... If you go to Cummins QuickServe and click on PARTS
and enter my SN = 10770115, it says my crank is a #3000140 . Not
that I trust Ebayers but I look for that on Ebay and see pics of a
crank that is Square Nose. The listings say it fits a "350, 250, 335, 855 NTC".

We will find out I guess.

I am under the understanding the engines were called this;

BIG CAM (tapered)
BIG CAM 1 (square)
BIG CAM 2
BIG CAM 3 (square)
BIG CAM 4
and maybe 5

The Unicor rebuild sticker on my engine says NSN 2815-01-082-8125

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Small Cam, Big cam I, II, III, IV, New big Cam IV. Very early SC engines had the tapered nose, there were alot of failures from the adapter removal and re installation causing nose failures, the crank was updated to the square nosed one. Mosy of the rest were what you have in yours with the exception of some industrial, marine and a few Ford engines that used a trunion mount, the nose of the crank is apx 4 inches longer because of the front mount, it is actually the front cover area at the crank instead of the block bolt holes.

Artisan

These trucks w/ a BC1 engine have a Luber-Finer #750C oil filter on the firewall. I removed mine to flush it fore I found bearing debris in the bottom. There is a radiator type drain cock on the bottom I never knew about ! I want to delete the OE cheesy drain cock and replace with one that has a barbed nipple so I can slip on a hose to ground level. There used to be a nippled drain cock Luber-Finer made, a "2322-1 Drain Cock w/ Hose Nipple" . It is made of unobtainium.

I grilled Luber-Finer tech support and found out the exact thread pitch. It is 5/8 x 18 unf-2a . Boy, I measured the OE drain cock and I tried so hard to figure out what pitch it was to no avail. It is a straight thread w/ an OD of about .62" x 18 tpi,and uses a thin SS washer to seal. I could not match it up to anything. So now I seek a nifty little drain plug. Anyone have one ;-) . I see an Aircraft Continental Engine quick drain plug that might fit, a #S6250 by Saf-Air, but it is $100.00 I want much cheaper.
(No word on engine yet, saving pennies)

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Brad, you can also slip a BCIII into your truck. Same footprint, better components like a holset turbo, factory bypass oil filter...you can ditch the 750 filter.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
These trucks w/ a BC1 engine have a Luber-Finer #750C oil filter on the firewall. I removed mine to flush it fore I found bearing debris in the bottom. There is a radiator type drain cock on the bottom I never knew about ! I want to delete the OE cheesy drain cock and replace with one that has a barbed nipple so I can slip on a hose to ground level. There used to be a nippled drain cock Luber-Finer made, a "2322-1 Drain Cock w/ Hose Nipple" . It is made of unobtainium.

I grilled Luber-Finer tech support and found out the exact thread pitch. It is 5/8 x 18 unf-2a . Boy, I measured the OE drain cock and I tried so hard to figure out what pitch it was to no avail. It is a straight thread w/ an OD of about .62" x 18 tpi,and uses a thin SS washer to seal. I could not match it up to anything. So now I seek a nifty little drain plug. Anyone have one ;-) . I see an Aircraft Continental Engine quick drain plug that might fit, a #S6250 by Saf-Air, but it is $100.00 I want much cheaper.
(No word on engine yet, saving pennies)

Have you tried a Parker Hydraulics shop by chance? My local one (All-Hose) has managed to match every difficult threading/tapping but one for me, and has done some remarkable custom brazing in the instances where either the threading/tapping was unobtanium or too expensive.

Just a thought...

Artisan

Guys does anyone have any input on this;

As you know I need an engine. I ran into a Big Cam 4* that looks very promising.
As I understand it, the BC4 is a low flow engine. I have a BC1. So I would have to
do a radiator swap as well.

Misc plumbing and wiring is not an issue.

Yes?
No?
Maybe?

Any constructive input is most welcomed.

*Engine is in a running working truck, he has receipts from recent rebuild.
It looks awesome from pics I have so far.
If he does not sell it or scrap it soon EPA will start fining him!
I have a historic plate, no issues.

Artisan

I have learned a bit since last post a couple of hours ago.

The BC4 has a front sump oil pan, we 'think" we can us my rear sump BC1 pan and
plumb to BC4 pump.

Jury still out on front motor mount.

Jury still out on radiator hose connections, can we simply bush down and use my radiator?

Artisan

BIG CAM 1 to BIG CAM 4 SWAP / M916

I posted the following in the engine area of SS forum, here are pics.

Gentlemen,
If anyone has any constructive, factual input/insight, we would sure be appreciative.
We have a BC1 in an M916 that has a spun rod bearing. We need to refresh. Money is an issue. I ran into a Big Cam 4 engine that looks very promising. I am told a BC3 is an easy swap, what about a BC4? As I understand it, the BC4 is a low flow engine.
I believe the radiator hoses are much smaller on the BC4.
( What size are they? )
I have a BC1, so would I have to do a radiator swap too or can I just bushing
down to the BC4 radiator hoses and connect to my existing radiator?
I asked for better hose pictures to determine where exactly the radiator hoses
enter and exit the radiator in the BC4.

Misc custom plumbing and wiring is not an issue. I am not
afraid of bracketry work and minor wiring customization and plumbing
refits. I just need to make sure I am not missing something.
Yes? No? Maybe?
Any constructive input is most welcomed.
The replacement BC4;
Engine is in a running working truck that I can drive.Seller has receipts from recent rebuild locally.
It looks awesome from pics I have so far. See below.
My truck has Historic Plates, no EPA issues here plus the truck is leaving the state soon.

Here is what I think I have learned regarding doing this swap;
The BC4 has a front sump oil pan, we 'think"we can use my rear sump BC1 pan and plumb to BC4 pump. Any input?
Jury is still out on front motor mount. I await more pictures.
Jury still out on radiator hose connections,can we simply bush down and use my radiator
if there is simply smaller upper and lower hoses?
HERE ARE PICS OF THE BC4 I AM CONSIDERING BUYING, PRIOR TO INSTALL.Currently it is installed in a truck on EBay.
ENGINE 1
ENGINE 2
ENGINE 3
ENGINE 4
ENGINE 5
ENGINE 6
ENGINE 7

the CPL = 821

CLICK HERE if possible to reply in my master M916 Thread.

THANK YOU in ADVANCE!

Last edited:

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It came out of an International......I would stay away from low flow cooling. Not just a simple matter of changing radiators. LFC engines were notorious for being chronic overheaters.

Artisan

There is a God...and of course I ALREADY know this BUT;

I just received a phone call from an outstanding member of SS
community and I may have found and engine and the help I need
to swap it in.

If anyone has a wrecker in So Cal we could use some help,
otherwise I rent a forklift. ( But a wrecker crane makes it easier I am told. )

STAY TUNED Ya'll This might be a "Turned Up" BC3... We shall see.

Same B.A.D. Time, Same B.A.D. Channel (If you remember BATMAN!)

Artisan

well Well WELL! Looks like I am the proud new owner of the last BigCam 3 400HP Mil
engine in a steel crate, last one? left on the planet! I'm looking forward to getting this beautiful
example of an M916 back on the road. My blown engine (Spun Rod Bearing) is a BC1,
the new engine is a BC3... A little plumbin' and delete the huge oil filter on the firewall
and I believe it will bolt right in... ( I Wonder if I can use that old oil filter on the fire wall
for my windshield washer fluid or a spare oil tank! Ha~! ? )

Attachments

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you told me a Mil engine in the can, I was thinking military rebuild. Nope, that is a ReCon engine built by Cummins ReCon. It still has the warranty package on the engine. I would Call ReCon and see if the warranty is good on it. Has never been installed so there should be no warranty start date. Unless the sale to .gov had no warranty, I'll bet there is a good chance you will get their base warranty, 2yrs/250k

Hammer

Wow, that there is a thing of beauty!
Also, now is the time to put the duel fuel lines on the motor while they are easy to get to!

Artisan

Congrats! I’ll bet you can’t wait to get your 916 back on the road!
You have no idea... I have been holding out for just such an engine for MANY reasons...
I almost didn't get it. I called the wife and told her how stressed I was watching
the bids grow and grow and I told her "I just put $12,555.00 on it and I wallked
away and grabbed a beer(s) ." She said ADDD ANOTHER $1000.00 and I did
and I walked away and 1/2 hour later God got me fixed up. Yes, I have been
praying... HA! So were graduating from a BC1 to a BC3, I expect little issues.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks