• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Run-flats Installation Tips Needed...

goldneagle

I did some research on how to remove and reinstall Hutchinson Run Flats into HMMWV tires. I got a great deal on some HMMWV radials and rims. The rims had defective tires on them that I needed to remove. Most of the mounted tires were bald and 2 were blow-outs. I got them for the rims and run-flats. I got the rims off yesterday. It was quite a struggle but I got them separated from the tires.

After a nights rest I decided to remove the run-flats from the tires. I was told the easiest way was to use a jigsaw and cut the side wall off the old tire. I was able to do 5 run-flats in 15 minutes doing this method. It was a lot easier than tying the tire to a tree and yanking the run-flat out with the truck. (saw that on Youtube)

This afternoon I scrubbed the run-flat clean and stacked them for future use.

I read that you need to use a tube of run-flat lube per tire to install the run-flat properly. Not so easy to find the lube. I wonder how some of the members installed the run-flats in their HMMWV tires. Anyone use slime as a substitute?

richingalveston

I do not know many people that use the run flats in the HMMV tires, most use the double bead lock insert. The run flats will ruin your tire quickly and the lube prevents any balance beads from being used. The run flats from what I here run like sh**. If you are putting the tires on a CUCV I would stay away from them. Get some pvc or Hutchinson bead lock inserts that do not have the run flat donut.

If you do not use the lube, the run flat will get you about a mile and the tires is toast. I think with the lube you can get 30 miles but you will have to throw the tire away. I do not think that slime would have adequate lube and cooling properties.

If you have combat plans then please disregard this advice.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I really had a reason to keep the original run-flat function, I would use silicone grease.
Otherwise, that insert can be modified to function as beadlock-only. This pic shows the before and after...

G.

Skinny

Cool pic...I hope it did it's job and got someone home safe!

Probably a waste of time if you are not in combat. Beadlock rims are hard enough to deal with, don't give yourself another reason to fight a tire change ;)

goldneagle

I do not know many people that use the run flats in the HMMV tires, most use the double bead lock insert. The run flats will ruin your tire quickly and the lube prevents any balance beads from being used. The run flats from what I here run like sh**. If you are putting the tires on a CUCV I would stay away from them. Get some pvc or Hutchinson bead lock inserts that do not have the run flat donut.

If you do not use the lube, the run flat will get you about a mile and the tires is toast. I think with the lube you can get 30 miles but you will have to throw the tire away. I do not think that slime would have adequate lube and cooling properties.

If you have combat plans then please disregard this advice.
Is that 30 miles with a flat tire or just 30 miles inflated? How far can you drive on a flat tire? A run flat can get you off of a busy road and to a safer location. Worth the price of a tire?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool pic...I hope it did it's job and got someone home safe!

Probably a waste of time if you are not in combat. Beadlock rims are hard enough to deal with, don't give yourself another reason to fight a tire change ;)
I don't think so... It takes me not much more then 15 minutes to remove/turn down the donut portion from the original 1-piece (run flat)insert. What remains is a relatively flexible band, about 3/4" thick, which can easily be installed- or pulled from inside the tire, with bare hands. The weight reduction is significant, also: almost 20 lbs less rotating mass!
So far I have done over a dozen of them, with very good results.

In the (civilian) off-road world... when these HMMWV tires/wheels are installed on lighter vehicles like a CJ - in deep sand, aired down to 10 psi - then some kind of beadlock is mandatory!

G.

wdbtchr

I have a set of run flats that are two piece and bolt together, are these different from HMMWV run flats? I don't know anything about them from the guy that gave them to me except he said they were HMMWV.

DUECE-COUPE

The slime or grease is designed to lubricate the magnesium aluminum 2 piece run flat insert. The rubber insert, the holds the radial tires to the rims is just to keep the tire and rim seated for the ctis system to operate and provide air to the defective tire, or to deflate the tire when operation in sand/ snow. The magnesium aluminium inserts are unbolted, where as the rubber insert is compressed from round to flat oval, held together with a ratchet strap, turned sideways so flat surface is across the tire, pushed to one side in th tire, and removed from the tire for follow on use.

goldneagle

The slime or grease is designed to lubricate the magnesium aluminum 2 piece run flat insert. The rubber insert, the holds the radial tires to the rims is just to keep the tire and rim seated for the ctis system to operate and provide air to the defective tire, or to deflate the tire when operation in sand/ snow. The magnesium aluminium inserts are unbolted, where as the rubber insert is compressed from round to flat oval, held together with a ratchet strap, turned sideways so flat surface is across the tire, pushed to one side in th tire, and removed from the tire for follow on use.
The Hutchinson run-flats are rubber one piece. According to the writing on them they need to be installed with the run-flat lube. Here is a picture of the run flats i have:

Run_flats_1.jpg

The 2 notches you see on the edge of the bead lock portion are for the air inflation valve.

Last edited:

goldneagle

I got the run-flat lubrication kits in today. They included 2 tubes of lube, 1 bag of 16 HMMWV nuts, and new o-ring. Nuts are for re-bolting the 2 halves of the rim together. The o-ring is white silicone and would not sit flat on the rim. It was rolled up to a 3" diameter circle and in a zip lock bag.

I called a few members to ask for advice on setting the o-ring. No one knew what to do. I decided to use SILICONE RV sealer in dabs around the rim to hold the o-ring. I used blue tape to hold the o-ring in place until the silicone hardens.

A NOTE: The original o-ring was black. It was GLUED to the rim with some type of adhesive that is red in color. I can see a thin red line on the o-ring and rim where the o-ring was seated.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Beadlocks are easy to install, without any special tools. But in order to get a runflat insert back into a tire it requires it to be compressed to almost a figure-8 and then banded with something easy to undo- or cut, once inside.
Use of pry-bar(s), lots of patience and plenty of tire lube are strongly recommended.
It also helps if the tire and insert have been in the sun for a couple hours, to warm up.

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have inserted countless run flats into tires with 2 ratchet straps and soap. You have to compress the run flat with the ratchet straps, one at a time alternating, and then slip it into the tire.... force it at the end with plenty of soap. Use a screwdriver to release the ratchet strap and you have just inserted your runflat.

richingalveston

in my opinion the run flats are pretty much not needed unless you need to get out of a battle zone. In real life all they do is tear up a tire.

The Hutchinson soft rubber bead locks are ok if they are in good condition. If they have any tears, even small ones on the sides, they will come apart inside the tire. They are also not easy to balance.

If you have the time buy some PVC and make your own beadlocks. If you have the money, you can buy them from Trailworthy fab or possibly others.
I made my own.

They balance much better than the soft rubber ones.
Also for the best balance get some centramatic wheel balancers.
My 39 inch tires ride is as smooth as glass at 70mph.

www.centramatic.com/balancers.rhtml

Attachments

Abbylind

I used the Fabworthy PVC inserts on my MTRs. I wouldnt go back to the runflats in my old MTs. A bottle jack warps the inserts to an oval shape for insertion with some lubricant. 8 ozs of air soft beads for balancing (I probably should have used 10 oz) Good ride, less weight.....YMMV

Chaski

I have a set of run flats that are two piece and bolt together, are these different from HMMWV run flats? I don't know anything about them from the guy that gave them to me except he said they were HMMWV.
Those are magnesium. Good for the campfire!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks