• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Run-flats Installation Tips Needed...

Chaski

I did some research on how to remove and reinstall Hutchinson Run Flats into HMMWV tires. I got a great deal on some HMMWV radials and rims. The rims had defective tires on them that I needed to remove. Most of the mounted tires were bald and 2 were blow-outs. I got them for the rims and run-flats. I got the rims off yesterday. It was quite a struggle but I got them separated from the tires.

After a nights rest I decided to remove the run-flats from the tires. I was told the easiest way was to use a jigsaw and cut the side wall off the old tire. I was able to do 5 run-flats in 15 minutes doing this method. It was a lot easier than tying the tire to a tree and yanking the run-flat out with the truck. (saw that on Youtube)

This afternoon I scrubbed the run-flat clean and stacked them for future use.

I read that you need to use a tube of run-flat lube per tire to install the run-flat properly. Not so easy to find the lube. I wonder how some of the members installed the run-flats in their HMMWV tires. Anyone use slime as a substitute?

Hands down, the safest and quickest way to deal with HMMWV wheels and runflats is an engine hoist.61858_W3.jpgYou can remove the nuts holding the rim together, place the entire assembly on the ground, place the "Y" legs of the engine hoist over tire and place a block inside the center hole of the rim that is small enough to fit through the back half of the rim. Rig the boom to that block and start jacking - presto you will pull the front half of the rim off. Flip it over and now use a longer block that fits between the studs of the back half of the wheel, and rig it to the boom and start jacking - presto the back half of the rim will come out. Next you can rig around the runflat insert and use the engine hoist to remove it.

Only catch is there can be quite a bit of stored energy when pulling things apart since the tire is like a giant spring. Don't have your face above what you are working on- or anywhere close for that matter. I also suggest you use rigging that will not come apart when it is unloaded - IE use shackles instead of hooks.

I am also one of the folks that tossed the runflats in the trash - and used PVC inserts.

Abbylind

To remove the inner rim I placed a jack stand with the base resting on the rim between the studs. (One of the rear tires is removed and the truck is suspended by a floor jack) I placed the rim, tire, and jack stand under the truck so the top of the jack stand is under the rear leaf spring shackle. Lower the truck, the leaf spring shackle will press on the jack stand which will press out the inner rim. Make sure all appendages and relatives you care about are clear from under the truck before lowering...it is essentially a 6900 lb press you know...

azulrios

I did some research on how to remove and reinstall Hutchinson Run Flats into HMMWV tires. I got a great deal on some HMMWV radials and rims. The rims had defective tires on them that I needed to remove. Most of the mounted tires were bald and 2 were blow-outs. I got them for the rims and run-flats. I got the rims off yesterday. It was quite a struggle but I got them separated from the tires.

After a nights rest I decided to remove the run-flats from the tires. I was told the easiest way was to use a jigsaw and cut the side wall off the old tire. I was able to do 5 run-flats in 15 minutes doing this method. It was a lot easier than tying the tire to a tree and yanking the run-flat out with the truck. (saw that on Youtube)

This afternoon I scrubbed the run-flat clean and stacked them for future use.

I read that you need to use a tube of run-flat lube per tire to install the run-flat properly. Not so easy to find the lube. I wonder how some of the members installed the run-flats in their HMMWV tires. Anyone use slime as a substitute?
I have attached foto of lub-tubes. For a 37x12.50r16.50, one requires 4 tubes. Can procure from MacMotors..com IMG_5223.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks