Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Separate 12 volt system

Thanks

My MOG runs just fine on the freeways I have past many pinz.I also ran a wire off of one battery for my 12v CB .drove the MOG from san diego to LA and back on I-5 many times .it was my daily driver for 5years.drove it from the land of the fruits and nuts to real people land VA in febuary with no door windows .cost one tire, water pump(so that is what the grease fitting is for),and a wide flat buttttttt.mogs have a wounderful summer heater and great winter A/C.as for 12v alt. put a chevy single wire one on.oil cooler and fan fit great under the cargo bed.

Thanks

Ha... funny to see this thread pop up again today... I just spent most of the evening wiring in the magneto I ws speaking of earlyer on into Chuckles 712... Man im whooped... Will get some pics up tomorrow...

Thanks

Some pics of the 12V magneto set up on the 712. This isn't the finished product as there is only one attatchnebt point.
    I'll get some more pictures up tonight of the final install.
    Over 1000 miles on this set up so far without any problems

Chuck
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1987 SOCOM Pinzgauer 718
    1976 Pinzgauer 712M
    1974 Pinzgauer 710M -wrecked 2008 . (sold for parts 2012)
    KF4ZAN

Thanks

Oops im a bad MV'er some times... Sorry Wayne and everyone else whom has been waiting..

The wiring diagram is attached as a PDF...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

Wouldn't it be simpler to use an alternator with intergral regulator like most GM units? They use a single positive wire to the battery. I do like the relay to turn 12v accy's on.

Thanks

Sure... Find me one under 3 inches in diameter and less than 3 inches deep with the pulley and it will fit...

Thanks

Neat stuff! Just to be sure I understand; this system is to provide electricity to an extra 12 v battery in the Pinz, and will provide up to 30 amps of current for 12 v goodies. Am I right so far? What is the shield cable for in most of the pics that looks like it is coming out of the distributor? Will the installation of this system necessitate a longer fan belt? To run the 12 v goodies you would come off the extra battery to a fuse box or termainal strip correct? Enough for now. I like this set up. Regards, Andy

Thanks

Default Mag

You are correct in everything you said.
    The shielded cables are leftovers from the civi conversion.
    I have a single separate Red Top in the tool box that has it's own set of circuit breakers for the radioes, cell phone chargers etc... A longer fan belt is necessary but keep the standard one around in case your 12 volt system takes a dump. D Man used a NAPA 9430 belt. We haven't changed anything on the 24 volt system at all, and you can put the original belt on and not drive the magneto at all.
    This goes along with his mantra that all the bells and whistles on the truck can crap out on you and you still have a drivable machine. Important stuff when the chips are down.(Like with a Cat 5 storm heading your way)

Chuck
    1987 SOCOM Pinzgauer 718
    1976 Pinzgauer 712M
    1974 Pinzgauer 710M -wrecked 2008 . (sold for parts 2012)
    KF4ZAN

Thanks

Default RE: Mag

When devilman gets a chance to come up for air and gets a kit together I want one. I'd have to clean out my tool box but I can add storage inside the bed if need be. It's not like I really need chanis 24/7 for all 4 tires here in SW Texas. Kudos to you and Devilman for a really neat idea. If you have more pics post 'em please.
    Andy

Thanks

Default RE: Mag

To elaborate on what Chuck said you install a 43 inch belt on the truck but can still yank it right off and toss on a stock belt with out pulling the mag off the engiine. Kinda nice if the mag fails (which is REALLY rare)... and again the 24V is unmodified leaving the vehicles primary systems fully intacked if the 12V dies. Also the 12V is not dependant on the 24V system for power like a step down converter uses, not that its a huge issue running a step down but they do draw power and require a relay set up to keep pluged in all of the time.

I like to think in the area of... "If a toy fails the vehicle still preforms." Maybe its paranoia, maybe its old school I dont know but being redundant is nice. In addition to this if your 24V was to fail or go dead you can usually jump yourself off of a single 12V battery and could pull a line from the 12V if the 24V failed. You would have some dim lights but dim lights are better than no lights at all. Even on my overly mod'ed deuce I've kept it like this...

Im kinda doubtful I will do a kit on this. Chuck has the only bracket and truck I can use to replicate the parts and were on opposite ends of the state from each other. It woulldnt be a cheap venture ether, prolly around 400$. Also the hole location you see being drilled and tapped in the pics goes directly into a oil journal, if you screw up doing it... Guess what!!! Im not saying no to the idea of putting them up for sale, it's just not so easy and I would like to see Chuck get some more hours on his.

At the same time I can / will / would be happy to draw out a diagram for the first system I did in his 710 using the solar widget converter which allowed for radio memory and worked off of the ign switch using a relay. Its less involved and does work flawlessly, will give you 12V and doesnt require modifying your stock 24V system. If anyone is horriably turned off by doing wiring I might be presuaded to build some harnesses for them.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast