• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spin-on Fuel Filters

rustystud

043.jpg032.jpg036.jpg I needed to add a couple of one-way check valves to my fuel filter (for my dual fuel tank project) and since I had made a mistake in mounting it to the bed frame (can you say bed flex ! ) I made up a new mounting bracket. It mounts to the frame not the bed . I also made it with a bend to stand-off from the frame bed. So if anyone else decides to mount there water/fuel filter by their fuel tank like I did, this is where it should go.

red

Mine is mounted to the bed over the tank (how yours was), I might need to extend the feed line a little bit. My bed flexes away from the frame less than others, has 6 solid mounts and the 2 front springs mounts. I've seen some trucks with as few as 2 solid mounts.

Love how much easier it is to change the first filter in that location.

Jeff Nelson

Just a quick question.. Great thread, by the way. Is there any reason, regarding the physical location of the filters, that they are where they are? Except for wanting to keep the overall distance to a minimum, could all three be located next to the tank, for example? I have some plans for my Deuce that might dictate another location for them.

rustystud

Just a quick question.. Great thread, by the way. Is there any reason, regarding the physical location of the filters, that they are where they are? Except for wanting to keep the overall distance to a minimum, could all three be located next to the tank, for example? I have some plans for my Deuce that might dictate another location for them.
There really is no set rule to where fuel filters are mounted. Mostly it is convenience on the manufacture's part not the mechanics ! If you've seen some of the places they stick the stupid filters you would also say "who was smoking crack when they decided to mount the filter here ? " . You don't want to have to much distance from the fuel tank to the injection pump though unless you have really big lines. It's like electricity. You get voltage drop in long distances. In the fuel system you loose pressure and volume. Now all you engineer types don't start getting on my analogy since that isn't "exactly" correct. Really some of you guys would strain out a "Nat" in a 50 gallon barrel of grain. It's close enough. Just like in horse-shoes and hand grenades !
I mounted my water/fuel filter here since it is much easier to get too then under the front of the truck. It is also better for my dual tank system.

rustystud

Mine is mounted to the bed over the tank (how yours was), I might need to extend the feed line a little bit. My bed flexes away from the frame less than others, has 6 solid mounts and the 2 front springs mounts. I've seen some trucks with as few as 2 solid mounts.

Love how much easier it is to change the first filter in that location.
I found out the hard way that my bed flexes way more then I thought ! Since I didn't want "huge" sweeping lines coiled up for movement, I decided to mount to the truck frame instead. It still is extremely easy to change out too ! Especially setting on my NAPA mechanics stool ! :naner:

Last edited:

red

The only filter I would be concerned about moving from its stock location is the final filter. No concerns moving the first or second filter to a easier to access location. If your fuel lines start to deteriorate, you want the final filter as close to the injection pump as possible to provide that last line of protection.

rustystud

The only filter I would be concerned about moving from its stock location is the final filter. No concerns moving the first or second filter to a easier to access location. If your fuel lines start to deteriorate, you want the final filter as close to the injection pump as possible to provide that last line of protection.
That is good advice for the old style rubber fuel lines. That is why I have gone to the stainless steel PTFE hose. Teflon linings will almost never breakdown in this lifetime. The other hoses I use are the DOT nylon hoses. The same durability goes for them too.

rustystud

Old thread
I resolved the problems
Have the entire 3 micron easy change filter setup for sale in SS
Never change those three filters again.
see
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?181420-Deuce-M35A2-fuel-filter-system-200
The problem with that is you can get "algae" build-up in your filters. Especially up here in the Northwest. Regular filter replacement will prevent that. The manufactures can build filters that would never need changing. In fact I personally knew the guy that invented the "overson screen filter" system back in the 1970's. It was a reusable stainless steel filter that never needed replacing. So people kept them in and never checked them. The problem was algae blooms would build up and then would destroy the rest of the fuel system.

I forgot to add, that algae blooms can happen even if you use the best "algaecides" on the market. At Metro we had a two year problem getting the algae out of a 20,000 fuel tank system at one of the bases (since each base has four of these tanks they where able to keep the buses running) . They used "everything" on the market ! Even stuff you and I cannot buy. In the end it took completely draining the tank and cleaning it and every pipe from it to the dispensing hoses. VERY COSTLY !!!!

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder if the reason the secondary and final are after the booster pump would be it is easer to push than to pull through the last two.
Myself I would do spin on in the same place as the secondary and final then a water trap / 10 micron filter before the booster in place of the primary. Also seems like going from a 10 micron primary to a 6 micron secondary then a 2 micron final would be a slick trick. Then one filter does not take all the load of dirty fuel / tank crud.

Last edited:

rustystud

I wonder if the reason the secondary and final are after the booster pump would be it is easer to push than to pull through the last two.
Myself I would do spin on in the same place as the secondary and final then a water trap / 10 micron filter before the booster in place of the primary. Also seems like going from a 10 micron primary to a 6 micron secondary then a 2 micron final would be a slick trick. Then one filter does not take all the load of dirty fuel / tank crud.
Basically that is what I have. The water trap/filter is the first filter, just like the military had. Then the final two (Primary & Secondary) are after the booster pump again just like the military had. Yes it is easier to push fuel (that is why the military put the pump in the tank) especially through a fine filter like the secondary which is a 5 micron filter. I couldn't find a 2 micron filter for a decent price or I would have used it instead.

nchittendon

IMG_20180614_153546.jpg

I picked up the spin on fuel filters from Ken Spencer and mvpartstore.com
I've had them on a couple months now and I love them. The kit eliminates the filter from the passenger side of the truck, and gives you all new lines except the return line. This was a fun project because I learned a lot about my truck during the install process.

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I know how I'm doing my fuel filters now! But I'm going a different way for my primary, I'm putting on a Cat spin on to run A Cat 256-8753 primary/ water separator. The reason is the cat is a great filter and the base looks like it will fit where the stock can style is.

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For one the cost to me is only $50, for two I'm using the filters my trucker friend uses on his rig. He has done 1.6 million miles on his Cat engine, so I'm trusting judgement/ experience on that. Now I'm not saying that the filter set up that JATONKA are bad, I have seen others with great results and his quality looks great. I'm just going a different direction at the advice of a old pro is all.

MudMarine

What's the advantages of doing these filters? I'm definitely going to upgrade to the spinon oil filters but I don't know what the gains are to the fuel ones

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMG_20190106_160538.jpgIMG_20190106_160549.jpg
Well for one it's easier and I never have to clean the canister again. As you can see if not done properly (this is the first time I opened mine) the canister can get a bit guncky.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
And that was that.
Everybody has the most wonderful, easy to change, best fuel filters on their truck now.
Everybody put in spin on filters that don't need to be changed anymore due to installation
of the "at the tank outlet" 3 micron filters.
I expect these engines to run another 50 years.

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn't post it here but I did finish the secondaries, combine them to one single secondary fuel filter. And I hope my engine does last another 50 years and outlives me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks