• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spin-on Fuel Filters

rustystud

003.jpg006.jpg009.jpg010.jpg012.jpg016.jpg018.jpg019.jpg Here are some more pictures of my install. I used a .25" plate of stainless steel I had laying around to support the filters. I drilled the 3 bottom holes for mounting to the block. I also removed the studs from the block as they would have hit the filters. The upper holes are for the filters. I wished I had the filter bases that would allow a pipe to connect them together, but I couldn't find them, so I had to use a nylon hose. The one thing I had to make sure of was the relief valve. It is a 60 psi relief valve. The one I used is "PRV70" diesel pressure relief valve from www.murcal.com , part #55700268 .
I will run new fuel lines from the injection pump to the filters after I perform the FDC bypass. I will also be making up a new return line out of the "PTFE" stainless hose I have.

Last edited:

oddshot

I saw that you installed a pressure gauge by the tank. Are you planning to install others? If space is a problem, you could use one gauge and a couple 3 way valves to select at what point in the system you want to check the pressure.

rustystud

I saw that you installed a pressure gauge by the tank. Are you planning to install others? If space is a problem, you could use one gauge and a couple 3 way valves to select at what point in the system you want to check the pressure.
I have another one at the secondary filter now. I'll post that picture later. The one at the filter will go to 100psi.

Last edited:

rustystud

Work at Metro 051.jpg Here is the final product, almost ! I will be adding another gauge to the primary filter so I can see the actual pump pressure from the injection pump. One thing I have already noticed is how fast my truck starts now ! Normally I have to crank it a few times before it catches. Now it's starts so fast, the first time it startled me ! I hit the starter switch, and bam it was running !

Last edited:

Reaper651

Very nice modification. I like the location of the primary. Starts the cleaning process right out of the tank and makes it very easy to change. And I definitely agree with you on how the fuel line passes under the radiator right out in the open, I noticed this on my truck last weekend. Tactically retarded IMO. The fuel pressure gage on the tank is a nice addition too, I was wondering though, how did you install it?

Well done on the mod.[thumbzup]

rustystud

Very nice modification. I like the location of the primary. Starts the cleaning process right out of the tank and makes it very easy to change. And I definitely agree with you on how the fuel line passes under the radiator right out in the open, I noticed this on my truck last weekend. Tactically retarded IMO. The fuel pressure gage on the tank is a nice addition too, I was wondering though, how did you install it?

Well done on the mod.[thumbzup]
There is a NPT tap on the block that the fuel line goes into. Just remove it (1/8" NPT) and screw in the gauge. Works great. You might need to install a 45 degree fitting to clear the face of the gauge.

peashooter

The fuel pressure gage on the tank is a nice addition too, I was wondering though, how did you install it?
Not sure if lots of trucks are like mine but... I put a fuel pressure gauge right on the tank where Rustystud did also. I couldnt get that 1/8npt plug out for the life of me. I had the pump out to replace the gasket which was leaking and ended up drilling & re-tapping the hole (not something I would/could have done with it still mounted to the truck). They had put it together with some of that permanent pipe dope I think. So just be aware that it might be an easy mod or difficult depending on how easy that screw plug comes out. Eitherway it is a nice inexpensive troubleshooting tool!

rustystud

002.jpg006.jpg The finished product ! Now with the gauges on the inlet and outlets of the filters I can tell at a glance weather the fuel pump is working properly and if the filters need changing. According to "Cummins" the fuel difference between the secondary and primary filters should not exceed 5 psi (4.9) .
That's measuring from the inlet of the primary to the outlet of the secondary.
Thanks to all for the nice comments.

oddshot

Great job ... and a great thread.

This should be a sticky.

Thank you very much.

T

BTW ... I'm thinking about doing this job with electrical sending units, a multi-switch and one gauge on the dash. Simple ... and I could keep an eye on pressures while on the road. Real important to somebody running wmo for fuel.

Last edited:

rustystud

Great job ... and a great thread.

This should be a sticky.

Thank you very much.

T

BTW ... I'm thinking about doing this job with electrical sending units, a multi-switch and one gauge on the dash. Simple ... and I could keep an eye on pressures while on the road. Real important to somebody running wmo for fuel.
I didn't think about that, but your right especially on a cold day you could have some nasty problems develop .

oddshot

I'm finally getting started on this project. Just curious ... are you running WMO for fuel? What pressures are you seeing: 1) at the tank, before the first filter and 2) after the first filter before the final filters?

Have you ever seen any build up of pressures indicating a plugged filter?

Thanks.

rustystud

I'm finally getting started on this project. Just curious ... are you running WMO for fuel? What pressures are you seeing: 1) at the tank, before the first filter and 2) after the first filter before the final filters?

Have you ever seen any build up of pressures indicating a plugged filter?

Thanks.
At this time I'm only running straight diesel. The pressures I'm getting are 10psi at the tank and 60psi at 1000RPM at the secondary filter. My pressure only drops 2psi between the secondary and primary filters.

oddshot

I looked at all the bases available and choose the ones that would fit the filters I wanted to use. The first filter is a water/filter, the second is a 10 micron and the third is a 5 micron filter I believe. The total for the bases and filters came up to about $100.00 .
I'm not quite sure this information is correct.

I have checked the Wix data and see that:

You show Wix 33339 as the primary filter. This one is 32 microns. http://www.fleetfilter.com/filter/wix-filter-bases/33339.html

You show Wix 33352 as the secondary filter. This one is 6 microns. http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=33352

In this thread you didn't give a part number for the water separator/fuel filter. Using the size and thread pitch of the base you've used, I have assumed that you are using Wix 33418 as a water separator fuel filter. This filters down to 12 microns. http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=33418

I'm, to be effective, the primary filter should be one that filters down to 8 - 10 microns. Any idea what Wix number that might be?

Last edited:

rustystud

I'm not quite sure this information is correct.

I have checked the Wix data and see that:

You show Wix 33339 as the primary filter. This one is 32 microns. http://www.fleetfilter.com/filter/wix-filter-bases/33339.html

You show Wix 33352 as the secondary filter. This one is 6 microns. http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=33352

In this thread you didn't give a part number for the water separator/fuel filter. Using the size and thread pitch of the base you've used, I have assumed that you are using Wix 33418 as a water separator fuel filter. This filters down to 12 microns. http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=33418

I'm, to be effective, the primary filter should be one that filters down to 8 - 10 microns. Any idea what Wix number that might be?
I think what people get confused about is that in a diesel fuel system the first filter is a water/fuel separator, the second filter is the "primary" filter and the last one is the "secondary" filter. I have to look at the filters as I don't remember off hand, but the water/fuel filter is a 45 or 50 micron filter. Then it goes to the 32 micron filter, then the 6 micron filter. I was going to use the 10 micron filter but decided against it later on. This way I'm making more use of the filters ability.

oddshot

To do this project, I have used
One - Wix 24309 filter base for the first water separator/fuelfilter

Two - Wix 24770 or Carquest 89770 filter bases for the last two filters

I used the following filters:

• Primary Fuel Filter SPIN-ON water separator. Carquest 86418, Wix 33418 12 Micron

• Second Fuel Filter SPIN-ON. Carquest 86115, Wix 33115 (Wix 33522 will fit and has a water separator) 10 Micron

• Third Fuel Filter SPIN-ON. Carquest 86339. Wix 33339 6 Micron

All of the above filters have a flow rate of 12 - 15 GPM and are readily available.

Any and all of the brass fittings you will need for this project (except the "PRV70" diesel pressure relief valve from www.murcal.com , part #5570026) can be bought locally, Home Depot, Tractor Supply, or NAPA. You'll probably have to go to all three to get everything you need.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think what people get confused about is that in a diesel fuel system the first filter is a water/fuel separator, the second filter is the "primary" filter and the last one is the "secondary" filter.

Yes but we can get water in all three filters right.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks