• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spin-on Fuel Filters

Jeepsinker

Floridianson, what is that 2 micron final filter number you keep posting up? I can never seem to find it when I need it. It should be added to the deuce parts reference guide.

rustystud

I think what people get confused about is that in a diesel fuel system the first filter is a water/fuel separator, the second filter is the "primary" filter and the last one is the "secondary" filter.

Yes but we can get water in all three filters right.
Yes of course water can get into all your filters. I was talking to "Oddshot" about the order of my filters. First the water/fuel filter at around 50 microns, then the primary at 32 microns, then the secondary at 6 microns. I was also mentioning that in the diesel repair field the secondary is the Final fuel filter. I know confusing. It took me a long time to get that right in my mind !

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK no worries.
It's not a 2 micron its a 6. Napa 33540 on the finial then we will be steping down from the 10 micron in the secondary instead off just two 10's.
I worked as an engineer offshore on some big DD, Cat's and ALCO's and they had at the least 4 Racors. Now they are both water/fuel all they way down the line but they had to be checked dailey. Do want to have any water in the filter troubles when underway or it's your AZZ.

Last edited:

rustystud

OK no worries.
It's not a 2 micron its a 6. Napa 33540 on the finial then we will be steping down from the 10 micron in the secondary instead off just two 10's.
I worked as an engineer offshore on some big DD, Cat's and ALCO's and they had at the least 4 Racors. Now they are both water/fuel all they way down the line but they had to be checked dailey. Do want to have any water in the filter troubles when underway or it's your AZZ.
I had at first installed a "Racor" water/fuel filter on my truck with the plastic bottom and drain fitting, but the filters are so expensive that I removed it and put in the "WIX" filters instead. The "WIX" also has a bottom drain, but no clear plastic to see the water. If I had an unlimited budget to play with on my truck I would put the "Racor" back on as I think they are about the best water/fuel filters there are.

oddshot

I did mine just a little differently.

There was plenty of room in the spot I mounted the filter unit, so I linked the two filter bases with a 4" nipple. I also thought a bleed valve was a good idea. I kinda ran out of money, so I leave out the pressure gauges until I build up reserves of cash again.

I also mounted mine on the block a little differently to get a little better access to the filters.

This project included pulling the tank, removing the internal fuel pump, coming up with an in-tank pickup screen, and plumbing in an external pump out side the tank. To make the in-tank pickup screen, I used the oil filter from a VW Beetle (air-cooled) and a 1/2 npt X 1/2 barbed brass fitting. I machined the fitting on my lathe so it would press and lock into the top of the oil screen/filter.

Attachments

Last edited:

rustystud

I love your set-up oddshot ! I think I'll steal your idea for the connector pipe by using the standoffs like you did ! That's the way to think out of the box ! I never did like the way I had to loop the connector hose.
What is the length of the standoff bushings ? Where did you end up mounting the filters ? The factory spot like mine ?

oddshot

What is the length of the standoff bushings ?
A bit more than an inch. When I made that rig up, I got in the "zone" and was doing a bunch of stuff at once ... I honestly don't think I even noticed what size they were. It's a hunk of old black pipe, I just cut it up on the lathe.

Where did you end up mounting the filters ?
I took the low road. I thought they might be a little easier to change from under the truck. It also frees up quite a bit of space, not that I can imagine what I would put there. A mount for a 12 vdc battery in case I install a 12vdc system? My lunch box?

Everything else, with the exception of the external pump is the same as yours.

Attachments

Last edited:

RAYZER

I've been thinking about doing this mod.
While looking on ebay i ran across the double filter mounts, will the double work instead of the two singles?

peashooter

I've been thinking about doing this mod.
While looking on ebay i ran across the double filter mounts, will the double work instead of the two singles?
I looked at these also. All of the double mount ones I saw were what I'll call parallel type units rather than series. So the inlet fitting went to both filter areas rather than from 1 to the next like a primary and secondary setup like we would need. I'm sure the "series" type must be out there but again most of what I was running across didn't work that way. The ones I saw were called DUAL REMOTE FILTER BASE or KIT by Derale and Trans-Dapt and a couple others. I did see a series style one from Hamburger's performance that is nice (also its billet machined so its $150-250ish depending on features): http://www.summitracing.com/search/...r-mounts/remote-oil-filter-bracket-style/dual

Last edited:

brianp454

Thanks for sharing! Is there a model # & manufacturer or web site where you found that mount?

I have the JATonka spin-on adapters on my truck, yet I'm interested in filter options for my WVO\WMO setup. This parallel setup might be helpful for 2 micron or other very fine filters as they might have excessive pressure drop (thus low flow rate).

The NAPA mounts are about $40 each if memory serves. I've been keeping my eyes peeled (at scrap yards) for an automotive remote filter mount that might be more reasonably priced. I'd like to use more than one filter in my WVO\WMO setup.

View attachment 531348
Here's one I found for $39.00.

For filter mounts check truck salvage yards older Mack trucks have cast iron filter mounts for secondary and primary . Trucks with Detroit Diesels used aluminum filter mounts. You can use the old filter number to buy new filter.

rustystud

A bit more than an inch. When I made that rig up, I got in the "zone" and was doing a bunch of stuff at once ... I honestly don't think I even noticed what size they were. It's a hunk of old black pipe, I just cut it up on the lathe.

I took the low road. I thought they might be a little easier to change from under the truck. It also frees up quite a bit of space, not that I can imagine what I would put there. A mount for a 12 vdc battery in case I install a 12vdc system? My lunch box?

Everything else, with the exception of the external pump is the same as yours.

I thought about mounting it low like yours, but I hate to have diesel fuel run down my arm when you go to change them out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks