• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spin-on Fuel Filters

oddshot

Oddshot, what external pump did you use that will provide adequate fuel flow for the engine?
Well ... I guess I didn't.

I did some searching and found a number of guys gave this one (or similar) a thumbs up: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sgt-sp1174

So I bought two of them, one for each tank.

Everything seems to be OK when running on flat land, but up here in the hills of Georgia I found that I lost power. I removed the in-line pump, spliced in a hose and all the power came back.

So I'm switching my main tank back to the internal one. I'll use the external pump for my second tank, which is plumbed in as a transfer tank.

Jeepsinker

Did you give any thought to running the two pumps in parallel? Both pumps pulling from the tank and into a "t" in the supply line, possibly doubling the flow rate?

rustystud

Oddshot, their is a dealer on ebay that sell's "Parker" pumps that are exact replacements for our "Olympic" brand pumps. Their only $50.00 each and almost brand new. I bought several.

oddshot

Did you give any thought to running the two pumps in parallel? Both pumps pulling from the tank and into a "t" in the supply line, possibly doubling the flow rate?
I think the limiting factor would still be the ID of the pumps. You can only get just so much liquid through a 3/8 hole.

Oddshot, their is a dealer on ebay that sell's "Parker" pumps that are exact replacements for our "Olympic" brand pumps. Their only $50.00 each and almost brand new. I bought several.
Thanks guys, I have a couple good pumps. When you bob a Deuce using a M105 bed, you gotta pull the tank to get at the pumps. There are other external pumps out there, but they are very expensive.

I guess I will be buying a couple of the Parker model just to have on hand.

Jeepsinker

Looks like a 24v deuce pump to me.
Oddshot, I meant two separate pickups from the same tank with one pump pulling from each one and having them both plumbed into the supply going to the primary filter. I know daisy chaining them won't work.

lino

Hey Rustystud et al,

I'm working to duplicate some of this filter setup, and had a few questions...

1) What dash size hose did you use? Based on a comment on a fitting, looks like possibly it's -8, but I wanted to double check.
Edit: My Bad - I found it in post #10 (-8 hose)

2) You don't have any sort of record of what the mate fittings are, by any chance? The filter housings are NPT, but leaving the fuel tank housing, and the interactions with the IP, I'm curious about those (and at this stage, it's easier to ask, than pull and try to identify)

3) It also looks like some of the return lines off your filter assy are nylon. Are they? It's tough to see in the pics. This is in addition to the "link line" between the housings.

thanks

ciao
lino

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Last edited:

Jeepsinker

My ePay Bradley fuel pump makes unneeded flow pressure to the primary filter/engine suction pump, so excess flow/pressure is routed back to the tank to keep 3-6 psig to the engine with a throttle valve, shown.

see post 14 but I have a 3 micron absolute filter on it now. I am attempting to protect rotating plunger.
see attached

View attachment 539395

View attachment 539396View attachment 539398View attachment 539397
What filter base and filter are you using for 3 micron absolute? Something from a marine application?

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
"What filter base and filter are you using for 3 micron absolute? Something from a marine application?"

I worked aero derivative power generation jet engines many years and it was found that these Norman filters save the engines when used in the lube oil system. Note that I can burn that AeroShell Turbine Oil 500 lube oil no problem.
I figured that setup would be more than good enough for my engine fuel system too.
I bought [cheap] heads and filters on a popular auction site. I have enough now for the rest of the truck and my time left. The filter bases and filters are described in the Norman PDF I had attached to previous posts.

There is some right now on a popular auction site available for 15 bucks complete, that is one head and a filter!
That is a 10 micron but one may spin on whatever absolute rated filter one would desire. One can spin on a 603AQM filter if wanted to have a 3 micron primary/pre-primary water/fuel separator if wanted.

It is all because I installed a new in-tank pump and it puts out more than the engine needs so I just throttle some of the flow back to the tank and the fuel goes round and round getting cleaner all the time.
filter + head 15 bucks.jpg and go see starting post #24 in here...
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?49214-no-fuel-getting-to-injectors

and more with pictures for the General see post #58 in here
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?79191-Has-anyone-tried-to-fit-this-pump-in/page2

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Norman filter 5000 series

THIS Norman filter pdf?

catalog "G" for the 5000 series filters and heads. OK I'll do it again..............................
View attachment norman catalog 5000 GG spin on 606M 6 micron.pdf http://www.normanfilters.com/catalogs/new/5000 Series Brochure 84384-Webc.pdf

or just get it on that popular auction site, starts with small "e' now for 15 bucks.

Attachments

Jeepsinker

No it is not against the rules to mention ebay, just auctions on it. It is not against the rules to say that you bought something from there, but is against the rules to post links to the auction.

Frank, thank you for all of that. That is what I needed. Between that info and now knowing what bypass valve Rusty used I'm all set.

rustystud

Hey Rustystud et al,

I'm working to duplicate some of this filter setup, and had a few questions...

1) What dash size hose did you use? Based on a comment on a fitting, looks like possibly it's -8, but I wanted to double check.
Edit: My Bad - I found it in post #10 (-8 hose)

2) You don't have any sort of record of what the mate fittings are, by any chance? The filter housings are NPT, but leaving the fuel tank housing, and the interactions with the IP, I'm curious about those (and at this stage, it's easier to ask, than pull and try to identify)

3) It also looks like some of the return lines off your filter assy are nylon. Are they? It's tough to see in the pics. This is in addition to the "link line" between the housings.

thanks

ciao
lino
The lines from the filters to the injection pump are Nylon ( DOT rated air lines ) . The fitting I used from the fuel tank is a special fitting I ordered from "Parker" . It has a 5/8" inverted flare to a 8AN male fitting.
The fitting on the injection is also a special adapter. 6AN to 8AN .

rustystud

No it is not against the rules to mention ebay, just auctions on it. It is not against the rules to say that you bought something from there, but is against the rules to post links to the auction.

Frank, thank you for all of that. That is what I needed. Between that info and now knowing what bypass valve Rusty used I'm all set.
Glad I could help Jeepsinker.

lino

The lines from the filters to the injection pump are Nylon ( DOT rated air lines ) . The fitting I used from the fuel tank is a special fitting I ordered from "Parker" . It has a 5/8" inverted flare to a 8AN male fitting.
The fitting on the injection is also a special adapter. 6AN to 8AN .
Thanks!

I've been looking at Aeroquip fittings and hose (as it's cheaper than Parker, of acceptable and known quality, and much easier to buy online). I can get hose to inverted flare, however in -8 hose it's only available in 3/4" inverted - which is the corresponding dash size.
In -6, it is available in 5/8" inverted. Which is -6 to -6, effectively. I'll be putting the first filter in roughly the same location as you, so I'm considering using -6 hose to the filter, then -8 from the filter to the IP (where you need to convert back to -6)...

Does that seem viable?
EDIT:
Actually, Rustystud, looking at your pictures in the first post, it appears, you may have done just that -6 to the first filter -8 out to the IP. (That said, it could also be camera effect making the inlet hose look smaller than outlet)

Did you, by chance, measure the id of the original copper fuel line? I suspect it's closer in size to -6 (0.32") than -8 (0.42") [note: those are ID for aeroquip teflon hose]

And the DOT line, was it 1/2"? or 3/8"?

ciao
lino

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

The lines should be 1/2" from the tank all the way to the booster pump no matter what kind of hose you use, then from the booster pump on through the rest of the filters and to the hydraulic head should be 3/8". You need the larger hose on the suction size to provide adequate flow at lower pressures, but once the booster pump bumps up the pressure the 3/8" is plenty good enough to provide the proper flow at higher pressure.

rustystud

Lino, after thinking about it I do believe the fuel tank line is a 3/4" inverted flare to 8AN fitting. I had to buy both a 5/8" and a 3/4" inverted flare for another project.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks