• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Caiman MTV

boswalt

Aluminum prices going through the roof!

this is an incredible vehicle and our local community has been awesome about helping us get it outfitted. Sure, we would love a Bearcat, we're not concerned with IEDs, just the occasional guy who wants to poke holes in us or the public. This was available. We are a rural sheriffs office, not in the oppression market.

running gear is brand new. CAT C-9 instead of C-7 and independent suspension. Interior is a little ruff, looking to replace the suspension seats with fold up benches or something along those lines. HID / IR kit to be installed. Huge list of little things to get it ready and I'm sure we'll need some advice on those areas.
leo.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We are a rural sheriffs office, not in the oppression market.
You may not be but who's to say the next elected sheriff won't be (especially in parts of WA)? Your dept do "no knock" warrants? What's the SOP for calling out armor? It's a cool machine but I feel safer when it stays with the military and not local police forces.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Boswalt. There is another thread in here from a different agency that acquired a surplus MRAP. I would recommend reading through it, even though certain individuals decided to take discussion paths that were advised against, multiple times, by moderators, and resulted in it being locked.

I will echo what I said though, and that is: training, Training, TRAINING. work with your local NG/USAR units for access to roll over simulators. your crews need to practice any and all contingencies in the "crawl, walk, run" training format. your driver needs to be your driver. not just any deputy jumping up and going "I drove something like this 10 years ago". Certifications, licensing, insurance, training.

Welcome to Steel Soldiers, I hope that we can provide you useful, intelligent information for success in your department.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice machine, I hope it serves your department well! Thanks for sharing!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have many rules and all for good reasons.

Attach photos(no links)

Capitalize

And yes, this type of vehicle surplussed to law enforcement does seem to keep coming up and cause members to discuss "correctness" or whatever debate you want to call it.

Welcome to SS.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
From looking at the picture a question comes to mind, Is the fuel tank armored ???, because it looks like a standard tank, if it is in fact a standard tank, take out the tank = take out the truck and over time the personal in it.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From looking at the picture a question comes to mind, Is the fuel tank armored ???, because it looks like a standard tank, if it is in fact a standard tank, take out the tank = take out the truck and over time the personal in it.
I can't imagine the deputies in the Caiman are the only deputies responding to the incident if said incident required an armored vehicle. I don't know the intricacies of all the MRAP variants, but it could also be a self-sealing tank. The fuel tank is probably a relatively insignificant vulnerability for their application.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I crawled all over one of these the local NG had. The crew compartment is very protected. The drivetrain, not so much.

To me it looks like these things were made to run over a IED and the crew walk away, not drive away. It wouldn't take much of a explosion or strategically placed bullets to render it inoperable.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To me it looks like these things were made to run over a IED and the crew walk away, not drive away. It wouldn't take much of a explosion or strategically placed bullets to render it inoperable.
That's exactly the idea. However, it does take a large blast to relieve an MRAP of it's running gear. Getting out of the kill zone was a design consideration, but they will deflect a blast at the expense of all the external components.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site!

Please post plenty of pics as we love pics of cool vehicles we don't get to play with :)

Thanks for what you do in service!

boswalt

Thanks everyone for the luke warm welcome! Glad to be here. I'd be glad to discuss why we have a truck like this and how it would be used. There is a lot of misinformation out there spread by those with an agenda. We don't use these trucks the same way the military does, nor do we have the training they do.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks everyone for the luke warm welcome! Glad to be here. I'd be glad to discuss why we have a truck like this and how it would be used. There is a lot of misinformation out there spread by those with an agenda. We don't use these trucks the same way the military does, nor do we have the training they do.
Good luck with it & be safe!

Whiterabbit

Whew! Nice ride ya'll have!
Nice protection for those who protect and defend. :goodjob:
We have one that hit an IED or I should say and IED hit it. You lose the running gear but the passengers were as snug as a bug in a rug.
A little more forgiving than a 113 APC which another local Police Dept has. Doesn't rattle your teeth out going down the road!
Oh, Welcome to the site also!

swat435

My agency has a Caiman. I will send you some pics. Monday of our seating arrangement we came up with through private message. I do not want your thread locked up like mine did.

Swat435, can you send those pictures to me also? My agency just acquired one as well. I was going to post some pictures until I saw your thread.....ours is replacing an armored truck that we received from Brinks and that we up armored on our own....also has almost 400,000 miles.

I will send you the link to the camera system we installed. One back camera, and one for each side to aid in driving. The system has one screen that you can split for all three cameras.

We have a USMC MRAP instructor coming in to give us some training. We also have several officers that are MRAP certified from NG duty or prior service.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks