• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Off road modified M416 trailer

100acre

I've been gone for a while working on my expedition trailer project. I will no longer be sleeping in the back of the M101A2. I now have a new palace. Equipped with a roof top tent, changing room annex, an awning with screened in room, an on demand hot water shower with shower stall and an on board 26 gallon water tank, pioneer tool rack, mounted Jerry cans, bike rack, two 100 watt solar panels, two deep cycle AGM batteries, shore power......

Attachments

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very cool set up. Where did you buy the tent?

I have a M1102 and flatbed version and want to change one into an explorer type trailer.

100acre

That's a great idea. If the TV wall mount was meant to be hung on a wall though, what keeps it from collapsing when it's used like that?
I'm not sure what you mean but the panel weighs in at 25lbs, the mount is rated for something like 80-125lbs and I use a couple of mini bungee cords to keep it from blowing around in the wind. The only downfall of the setup is even though there are 4 pivot points the last and only vertical one only gives you an angle of 15* which will suffice, better if it were 30*. If you mean collapsing by folding flat, one can tighten each pivot point with an Allen wrench. The whole thing is made for quick release from the mount with wing nuts and it is bolted to a 1"sq tube which slides up and down in a 1.5" sq tube welded to the tongue of the trailer with a tightening bolt in the base 1.5" tube. For driving I have to remove it and place it in a special case I made for the back of the truck.

100acre

Very cool set up. Where did you buy the tent?

I have a M1102 and flatbed version and want to change one into an explorer type trailer.
I picked up the tent used from Chief 919. But you can find them from many retailers...CVT, Tepui, just do a google search for " Roof Top Tents" also check out the forum ExpeditionPortal.com many links to great deals and makers of tents awnings ideas etc.

FYI the tents are not cheap, they run from $700-1500. Sometimes you can pick up a used one for $350-500. Some are also made with a hard shell like a top luggage rack box and will rise straight up. Also do a google image search of the RTT's and or " Off Road Trailer"

Last edited:

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wasn't expecting for the tents to be that expensive, mainly asked to see if you had a cheaper source.

100acre

RTT's.

There are many manufacturers out there, I would just search around. Tepui Tents is pretty inexpensive. Or you could build a platform on your trailer and just put up a dome tent. Others have done so. Sorry if that's not enough. Crazy busy right now. Mombasa RTT's are decent too.

100acre

Another great one is Wildernest. It turns a truck topper into a fold out tent. Good luck sir. There's a big expo coming up in May in Flagstaff Az. Called the Overland Expo may 16-18th. There will be lots of RTT vendors as well as exhibitors and off road demonstrations, courses etc. lots and lots of gear!

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another great one is Wildernest. It turns a truck topper into a fold out tent. Good luck sir. There's a big expo coming up in May in Flagstaff Az. Called the Overland Expo may 16-18th. There will be lots of RTT vendors as well as exhibitors and off road demonstrations, courses etc. lots and lots of gear!
Thanks for the links. I was definitely not using the right key words, although they seem obvious when you point them out.

I will have to see if Dallas/Ft Worth has a show in the future.

Edited response:
Just looked up the Overland Expo, definitely don't expect to see that in Dallas/Ft. Worth. :) I was thinking a gun show type event, not a huge outdoor festival type event.

Last edited:

100acre

Wow...coming all the way from North Carolina?!

-WRM
Yerp, then on to everywhere else I don't currently live. Hopefully end up kayaking with orcas in NW Washington state near Olympic Peninsula and San Juan Islands before heading home. Depends on finances. Gonna hit approx 20 national parks and prolly double that in national forests plus BLM lands. Exploring, prospecting, fossil hunting and lookin at big mountains while sitting in my yak and eating bearclaws from Polebridge Mercantile in NW Glacier NP.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks