• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailer stake problem

Aerialfred

Hi all, I have a problem with my fresh rebuild by VSE 105A2 trailer. The pockets in the bed for the racks are smaller than the stakes. There is no way to even start the stakes in these. Is this a common problem? What can I do to fix this? I got the racks from an older trailer, so do I need to cut these down to size or look for a different set? Thanks.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Are the older bows wood? I have had to plane down old wood bows that have swelled over the years to fit in their respective stake pockets. How much are yours off?

Flyingvan911

The stake pockets on VSE rebuilds are usually a problem to one degree or another. I had one or two that were a slight issue. A friend kindly fixed them for me.

3dAngus

It is a common problem, and there are several threads on this, one that I started, but no problem.
You can just run a sawzall down the middle of the stake bottom, squeeze, then insert. You will have to run the cut line the full length of the bottom rail of the side rails. There are other ways, but this worked best for me. Take one leg off and use for a measuring stick, to see if you might have to make a cut in both directions. I had to do that with one set on one trailer.
If you don't do something to make them smaller, you will NEVER get them back out if you EVER get them in. This is what happens to those who hammer them in, when inclement weather "helps out" and they stick in semi-permanently. Don't hammer them in with a sledge! I have seen that done before.
The refurbished and reinforced M105s have a metal tab that runs on the inside of those wells that close up the gap so the old rails do not fit in.
It's a real pain!
IN some cases, the military has already reworked some of those deficiencies so a new owner might not witness it, or might notice one that is degraded more then another. Depends on what side rails they used for the install/mod.

Also, I purchased a all steel wedge from Steve6X6X6 at the Ga. Rally. The wedge fits in the hole, and opens it up with a sledge hammer hammering the wedge deeper and deeper into the hole. You would need a machine shop to make one like it.
Thanks to Steve!

Last edited:

3dAngus

Oh crud. I was writing the post above when you came in with the answer, or solution.
Please post pics of the "flat piece of steel" and how you opened it with the flat piece.
Did you just hit it with it in the hole, side to side, rather then downward, as you would with a wedge?
You can help others by posting pics of your results and the process you used.

Aerialfred

Oh crud. I was writing the post above when you came in with the answer, or solution.
Please post pics of the "flat piece of steel" and how you opened it with the flat piece.
Did you just hit it with it in the hole, side to side, rather then downward, as you would with a wedge?
You can help others by posting pics of your results and the process you used.
Sorry, my brother has a small machine shop and found or cut down a piece of bar stock to fit inside the stakes, then hammered them to fit. I was laid up due to an injury while this was being done and did not get to take pictures. I appreciate your info and will remember it for future reference.
thank you,
Fred

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks