• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

R.I.P.--TIGGER--Matthew Helms

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I remember Matt's first time at the GA Rally just like Poppop, right after Matt's truck accident.

He sure made an impact on the SS family the short time he was with us.

Rest In Peace Marine, Rest In Peace.

twright

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also met Tigger for the first time after he had had the truck wreck. This shocked the **** out of me, he wasn't that old! Rest in Peace, Marine. Fair winds and following seas...
AEC Wright

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am literally sick at my stomach hearing the news about Tigger. He was one of the best people I've ever met, not just in SS. I remember helping him work on his jeep at the 2013 GA Rally. We talked quite a bit. He was a great guy and will be missed. Prayers go to Mathew and his family.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the sadest news in quite awhile. i know he is in a better place for HE has gone ahead and prepared it for those like tigger.. he helped everywhere he goes. we need to see what is needed and then make it happen in HIS name i do pray

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Heavenly Father,
We are grieving the sudden and unexpected passing of our friend and brother in this hobby - Tigger, aka Matthew. Yet we rejoice with utter confidence that he is now in Your presence, surrounded by all of Your glory in heaven.
Please bring us all a peace that surpasses our lack of understanding, our shock and confusion, and surprise at this unexpected loss from this earthly life. May Your Holy Spirit bring us and Matthew's family closer together as we come to grips with the reality that this life is both temporary and oh so fragile. Have us all to walk in peace and harmony.
In the blessed name of Your Son, Jesus, we pray.
AMEN!

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is just some news that you never want to hear. This is a man who never asked for anything, the only thing he always asked is "How Can I Help You?" He was helping his Grandmother and moved in a few years back as her health failed. He was the EMT at the GA Rally, then on top of that played double duty as Durhamtowns EMT.

He was a volunteer fireman in Butler. I remember a call I had with him in the winter when he had spent all night battling a house fire in the cold and rain, exhausted I told him to get some sleep. He said sleep would be later as he was going to find some toys for the children who had lost their house.

When his stuff was stolen a while back from the farm I asked him if I could help and the answer was he had everything he needed.

This is a sad day for all Steel Soldiers and those that knew him, for we lost one of the few shining examples of how a man should live his life.

Mathew you will be missed by all of us who had an opportunity to share in your life.

RIP

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anybody have a photo of Mathew they could post to this thread? I searched all my photo's and could not find one but it would be nice to see his smiling face again.

onegmjack

He called me I think on Monday. Was going to go to the car show, on Saturday. Was going to take the Deuce. Will never be the same, without Tigger.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anybody have a photo of Mathew they could post to this thread? I searched all my photo's and could not find one but it would be nice to see his smiling face again.

IMG_1953.jpgIMG_1937.jpg

These are from Zouts in 2013. I'm sure there are better photos around, but these show what Mathew was all about - always helping.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I only had the opportunity to meet him once at last years GA rally.

He will be greatly missed.

Any word on how Amanda is doing?

Last edited:

zout

Amanda worked for the FBI in a special division - she had many opportunities as she was dedicated to that work - some know what she did and I do not wish to further broadcast it for her protection.

The week before Amanda had an opportunity to go back to Indiana (her families area as well) and work from there - so she went. She was not able to attend the funeral - probably due to work.

T. Highway

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This was a real shock reading this today. I never had the opportunity to meet Tigger but could tell by his posts that he was a good person.

Rest In Peace Mathew, you will be missed.

Regards,

Bert

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny I wanted to post the details of Matthew's Obituary. Thank you for the link. I hope you don't mind. It is so Tigger that his Obituary mentions SS.

Matthew Joseph Helms, BUTLER

Published May 15th, 2014 10:49 pm

BUTLER — Matthew Joseph Helms, age 42, of 816 Hill Avenue, Butler, TN passed away Tuesday, May 13, 2014 at his residence.

He was born August 23, 1971 to Howard Frank and Judith A. Helms nee Dase.
Matthew was a mechanic and loved working with the Boy Scouts. His real passion was his involvement with the Steel Soldiers and making his cast iron peach cobbler. He was preceded in death by his maternal grandparents, Edward and June Dase, and paternal grandparents, Howard Helms and Rose Straka.

In addition to his parents Howard Frank and Judith A. Helms of Hiram, Georgia; survivors include: two brothers: Daniel H. Helms and wife Anna of Chardon, Ohio and David E. Helms of Nashville, Tennessee; two sisters: Janet M. Evans and husband Cliff of Dallas, Georgia and Jeanne R. Day and husband Robert of Hiram, Georgia; and several nieces and nephews.

A memorial service for Matthew Joseph Helms will be held at 4:00 p.m. Saturday, May 17, 2014 at Our Savior Lutheran Church, 212 Sunset Drive, Johnson City, TN with Pastor Jim Nipper officiating.

Online condolences may be sent to the family through our website at www.huxlipfordfh.com.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks