• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

R.I.P.--TIGGER--Matthew Helms

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would like to suggest that we hold Tiggers camping spot at the GA Rally open as a memorial this year to Tigger. I am willing to pay for the spot, but nobody would be camping in that spot or parking anything.

This needs to be run up the flagpole with the GA Rally organizational team, but it would be an appropriate gesture to have Tigger at the Rally in spirit and hold his position in the formation.

zout

Coffee & Swiss - touched base with both of you fellers here this afternoon - so if folks would allow Swiss to make the contact I suggested this would be a good first move in support of all of us through our Chaplin FIRST.

I am sure Swiss and Coffee will advise from there.

Chaplin - your going to have a request coming in and we know you'll know how to handle it and I approve.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think we can forget a truck tee shirt for this years GA rally. We HAVE to do a tee shirt in memory of tigger...........

wilfreeman

I think we can forget a truck tee shirt for this years GA rally. We HAVE to do a tee shirt in memory of tigger...........
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe the m109 camper on the back and his picture on the pocket or inset somewhere on the back? Just a thought.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have waited before I wrote something that would convey the grief I am feeling right now. I was driving when Ferro 1st told me of the news of Tiggers passing, and I had more driving to do this morning. All the time that I spent driving, I have tried very hard to come up with something, anything that would properly show respect for the passing of Tigger.

I have not been successful.

All I can say is that we have lost one of the best. Rest In Peace Tigger.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have waited before I wrote something that would convey the grief I am feeling right now. I was driving when Ferro 1st told me of the news of Tiggers passing, and I had more driving to do this morning. All the time that I spent driving, I have tried very hard to come up with something, anything that would properly show respect for the passing of Tigger.

I have not been successful.

All I can say is that we have lost one of the best. Rest In Peace Tigger.
Quite poignant John. Thank you.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
John. I'm feeling the same thing.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
John you just did.
All that is required is to rememeber and show that you cared for our fallen brother.

zout

Kind words John - and it was hard talking to you guys on the phone when Adam called and you had to drive.

I am not in charge of anything here and only making suggestions and had been around him long enough as a friend so please do not take any of this the wrong way.

Tig would tell ya to keep a truck on the Ga Rally T shirt - would a Red Cross on the arm be appropriate - I think so but to honor the whole shirt I doubt he would like that. I think keeping things simple will surfice and anyone knew him might agree - he would have felt awkward even the mention of keeping it other than Ga Rally - which some of his stuff was already packed up when I talked with him on medical supplies and looking forward to the car show that weekend.

No reason to display what we all have in our hearts anyhow and our beliefs. I know the fella that could do that ceremony - but I have not seen him post up yet - but I will mention it to him and see how he feels about it and then he can run it all by whomever he needs to.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did not know Tigger apart from his posts, but he seemed a good man. The message of is sudden death touched me without really understanding why. Maybe my brother's death quite unexpectedly 5 months after our mother died (4 years ago now) has something to do with it, and some other close calls here recently. Makes you focus on what really is important and forget about the small irritants of daily life. My sympathy to those who knew him personally and loved him.

Flyingvan911

My prayers to his family and friends. R.I.P Tigger.

Live each day to the fullest and be kind to as many people as you can. You never know when you'll be called home.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chaplain's Update....

Troops,
I just got off the phone with Matthew's sister, Jeannie.
First and foremost, she absolutely assured me that Matthew did indeed know Jesus as his Lord and Savior, and we therefore KNOW where Matthew now resides!!! PRAISE GOD !

Jeannie was most appreciative to learn that thousands of SS Members all over the world knew and loved her brother and saw him as a kind and caring, very giving man.

In a sad coincidence, Jeannie became a widow twenty-one years ago TODAY when one of the Marine One (Presidential Fleet) helicopters crashed.
From the NEW YORK TIMES - ARCHIVES:
http://www.nytimes.com/1993/05/20/us/4-marines-die-in-crash-of-presidential-copter.html

When I asked about any arrangements for Matthew's cremains (ashes), Jeannie enthusiastically told me how much Matthew loved supported the BOY SCOUTS, and his passion for the APPALACHIAN TRAIL which runs right by his home up in the mountains. Today, in fact as we spoke and as I type this, the Boy Scouts are handling the placement of Matthew's earthly remains in a place most fitting and respectful of that love in his life.
GOOGLE: Uncle Nick's Grave as a location to visit someday to remember Matthew's walking that trail. Yes, he DID leave his footprints upon this earth.

Members here have asked about fundraising and addressing any other needs for the family. Jeannie assured me that they are well positioned to take care of all the expenses. So, that expression on our part will not be necessary.

If anyone feels the need to honor Tigger's memory through a charitable donation, Please consider one of the following:
The SteelSoldiers Benevolence Fund (see link in my signature line below) Donations will go into the general fund for future needs of our members.
- OR -
The Boy Scouts of America http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/Misc/SupportScouting.aspx

I obtained the mailing address for his parents and will be sending a sympathy card on behalf of the entire SteelSoldiers Membership.

The local Sheriff warned Tigger's family that as soon as his remote place was left unattended that looters might swoop in for anything left unsecured. Consequently, they took care of everything outdoors. Matthew's beloved Jeep was left to Jeannie, and they towed it to her home after the funeral service. (It was already on the trailer, ready to deploy.) She hopes to soon have some acreage to keep it on and drive it around to remember him with. They would also like for his truck (previously mentioned by ZOUT) to remain with the SteelSoldiers and will be looking forward to arranging for that to happen.

To wrap this update up, please keep his parents - Howard & Judy Helms - in your prayers. He was a very special son to them. As well, Jeannie will miss him greatly, she thought he was the best brother in the world. And, from what Jeannie shared, his whole community spoke highly of him at the service - how he'd somehow appear to change a flat tire, or rescue a stuck vehicle from the snow, then show up and shovel their driveway too! And the stories go on and on.... We ALL know what a good man he was. May his heavenly rewards be many. And, may the example he set for the Boy Scouts and others live on as his legacy.

We shall never forget.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks