• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

welder choice...

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've owned both Lincoln and Miller. Can't really say anything bad about either one of them. The only reason I'd pick one brand over the other is if a particular machine had some of the features I liked better than the other.

Having been around all types of welding, it seems most fab shops and manufacturing settings tend to use mostly Miller. On the pipeline you'll see mostly Lincoln with an occasional Hobart. You very rarely see a Miller out on the pipeline around here.

Personally, I think about the worst thing for a beginner to do is buy a cheap no-name welder. I'm what I'd call a decent welder. I've tried to weld with those cheap machines, and while I was able to make it work, they didn't produce a good arc and it was more difficult to make a decent weld. If you buy one of those cheap welders, it will make learning much harder.

Like has already been said many times, buy a used brand name welder if you can't afford new. Even some of the older welders are better than what you can buy new. In the smaller welders nowadays, most of even the name brands have gone to aluminum windings. Most of you older welders will have copper windings. Copper windings produce a better arc.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Crap, I am now up to 4 welders with all kinds of wire feeders for them, tig HF adapter boxes, and no time to play with them(much).

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Crap, I am now up to 4 welders with all kinds of wire feeders for them, tig HF adapter boxes, and no time to play with them(much).
I just counted them up and I have 3 stick welders, 3 migs, a tig, a plasma, and a gasoline welder. I've also got a few extra wire feeders that need work. I really need to get rid of a couple of the migs but two of them were free. They weren't working when I got them but both just had minor problems to fix. I've thrown away no telling how many that were given to me just because I didn't have time to fool with them to get them fixed. I have a soft spot for welders and will pick one up anytime the price is right.

MatthewH

My shop inventory includes 2 mig units, one with spool gun, plasma cutter, tig/stick machine, 2 sets of torches and the Hobart gas welder in the SECM box outside. Pretty set on machines, just working on all the extras for shaping and forming metal

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will say torch welding is still pretty handy when you need to make a small repair out in the field and you don't have one or don't want to drag out the portable welder.

quickfarms

I am now looking at plasma cutters.

I was looking at the Lincoln tomahawk 625, miller spectrum 625 and hypertherm powermax 45.

Any thoughts or comments on these units?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have a Hypertherm Max40 that is easily 20yrs old and cuts great. They are an employee owned company and have reps that post technical answers on multiple metal working forums. I wouldn't think twice to get another, they are top quality all the way.

MatthewH

Second the Hypertherm 45. I've got one, and love it. Rarely use the torches to cut anymore, as the 45 will severe 1" plate. Mainly use it for 1/2" and under, but its nice to have that capacity if needed.
Only thing I wish I had done was get the 45 with the computer interface plug, that way in the future I could use it on a plasma table. Some tables software require that plug to work

iatractor

Ok, wearing my dealer hat again. Lincoln and Miller make great welders, but you tend to pay for the paint when it comes to plasmas from those companies. Places like Airgas, Praxair, Matheson, and the ma pa companies tend to carry another Hypertherm or Victor-Thermal Dynamics for their plasma line. Why? Those two outfits specialize in machines that cut metal. Pricing tends to be a tick lower than red or blue machines, and you get a better quality machine for the money.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got a Miller plasma (don't recall the model but it's one of the bigger ones) and I find it great for some stuff but for thick steel I still grab the torch. It works good on AL but for straight cuts I'd just as soon use a skillsaw or a miter saw with a carbide blade. Where plasma really shines is SS. Plasma is about the only practical way to cut SS.

The main problem I have with the standard tip is that you have to wear a welding helmet and I have trouble following the line. Now if you use the drag tip you can go with cutting goggles which allows you to see much better and you can also use a straightedge to make a very nice cut. I've also fabbed up a circle cutting jig that comes in handy.

Another Ahab

The main problem I have with the standard tip is that you have to wear a welding helmet and I have trouble following the line. Now if you use the drag tip you can go with cutting goggles which allows you to see much better and you can also use a straightedge to make a very nice cut. I've also fabbed up a circle cutting jig that comes in handy.
Seen a circle-cutting jig for oxy-acetylene somewhere (maybe it was Harbor Freight), don't know if that'd work with a plasma cutter. If I run across it I"ll post it.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seen a circle-cutting jig for oxy-acetylene somewhere (maybe it was Harbor Freight), don't know if that'd work with a plasma cutter. If I run across it I"ll post it.
The jig I have was actually made for a torch. I took the torch holder off of it and made one to fit the plasma.

You can control the plasma with the drag tip going in a circle much easier than you can a torch.

Juskatla

I have a couple of different brand welders and am happy with what I can do with them. Because of cost, I tried an odd shore brand plasma and was not happy with it. After a lot of research, I ended up buying the Hypertherm Powermax 45 and can't be happier. Lincoln had brought out the Tomahawk series but they don't seem to be in the market, as nobody in the usual forums has any experience with them. Also, The 1000 was more expensive than PM45 locally. I found the PM45 specs are very conservative and I have cut way thicker plate than I ever expected to be able to. I'm not in the trade, so take my experience for a grain of salt, but have been doing this stuff for along time. Good luck on you selection

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a couple of different brand welders and am happy with what I can do with them. Because of cost, I tried an odd shore brand plasma and was not happy with it. After a lot of research, I ended up buying the Hypertherm Powermax 45 and can't be happier. Lincoln had brought out the Tomahawk series but they don't seem to be in the market, as nobody in the usual forums has any experience with them. Also, The 1000 was more expensive than PM45 locally. I found the PM45 specs are very conservative and I have cut way thicker plate than I ever expected to be able to. I'm not in the trade, so take my experience for a grain of salt, but have been doing this stuff for along time. Good luck on you selection
I got a hypertherm 600 but with the torch changed out to the new design duramax torch. I cut 1/2" plate cleanly with no problem.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks