• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Registration of trailer in Texas Help

Deano

I live in Denton County. Can anybody tell me the best tax office to go to? I just went to on in Carrollton and im catching crap for no VIN# no title. I have my invoice but it is not signed because I have not taken delivery of the trailer. Should I save myself the hassle and just request title from GL? Its an M1101. Please let me know. Right now it looks like I have to jump through hoops to get a plate for the trailer. Thanks. I have read several posts from people with their experience but nothing I told this lady will help.

glassk

If your manufactured trailer's gross weight exceeds 4,000 lbs., it must be titled. Submit the following documents to your county tax assessor-collector office:

• Evidence of ownership:
    • New trailer: Manufacturer Certificate of Origin*, or
    • Used trailer over 4,000 lbs. gross weight: Certificate of Title, or
    • Used trailer less than or equal to 4,000 lbs. gross weight: Bill of Sale + Registration Receipt

http://txdmv.gov/motorists/buying-or-selling-a-vehicle/trailers

Total Weight with Payload (maximum):

M1101 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3400 lb (1522.1 kg)

Used trailer less than or equal to 4,000 lbs. gross weight: Bill of Sale + Registration Receipt doesn't really need a title

Deano

I got a bill of sale. Not signed yet because I haven't picked up the trailer yet. Just getting ducks in a row. Ive been to the dmv website already. I guess the lady hasnt. Thanks

davo727

You don't need a title to register a m1101 in Texas. I just got my reg and plate and paid the sales tax last week for $81.00 total. Take a copy of your GL invoice and fill out the Texas 130-U application and its no problem. Nobody from Gov Liq has to sign anything for you just have the invoice copy. The empty weight and load is under 4000 gross so no title is needed, and they call it an untitled trailer.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to physically have the trailer before you can get a title in any case. And for that you will need to apply for the SF97 after you pick up the trailer - GL will send you the SF-97 or a title, whichever they think your state will accept.

davo727

In Texas under 4000 lb gross you don't need sf97 or title. I got my reg and plate before I went and picked up my m1101

You need to physically have the trailer before you can get a title in any case. And for that you will need to apply for the SF97 after you pick up the trailer - GL will send you the SF-97 or a title, whichever they think your state will accept.

Deano

Davo727. What did you bring to the tax office? I got my invoice. Thats it. I explained there is no VIN and just a serial number but they didnt know the difference.

davo727

Just your invoice and fill out a 130 u form and they might want to see your auto insurance card also.

No sf97, no title and no possession of trailer required as its under 4000 pounds gross since its an untitled trailer and we are in TEXAS.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Texas under 4000 lb gross you don't need sf97 or title. I got my reg and plate before I went and picked up my m1101
If you want to register it as a FMV, you (now) have to have a title in Texas. If you want to register it as a non-FMV trailer then you are right if it is under 4000lb gross.

I went through this last week at the Lewisville tax office, and they pointed out the new text that was on the present FMV form.

... So if you want to register it as a FMV wait until after you pick it up. Pay $60 to GL for the SF97 form after you provide them with all the information and you are good to go. If not a FMV AND you report it as under 4000lb gross weight, then you don't need a title.

BTW all M1101 and M1102 trailers are good for 4200 lbs, but I think the data plate on some list a lower weight purely because of the tow vehicle was going to use it.

m715mike

I plan to register my newly acquired M105A2 as a FMV trailer in Texas. Per GL's rules, I took possession of the trailer and then submitted a request for the SF97 (including the $60 payment). Now I wait. As soon as the SF97 comes in, I will go down to the tax office to obtain a Texas title and registration.

Deano

Is there any advantage to registering it as a FMV? It's not like I paid a lot for the trailer so $60 isn't going to kill me. I was just hoping to skip a step. I don't plan on ever selling but for my records I might consider doing an SF97. Thanks for all your help. I'll post pics when I pick it up.

m715mike

Someone please correct me if I misspeak...

I believe the FMV registration is a one-time payment to the tax department ($50 or so) that is good for a 5-year registration. A regular trailer registration must be renewed annually.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Someone please correct me if I misspeak...

I believe the FMV registration is a one-time payment to the tax department ($50 or so) that is good for a 5-year registration. A regular trailer registration must be renewed annually.
You will pay $10 per year up to 2018 which is the end of the present 5 year period. (All FMVs re-register on those 5 year anniversary years.)

Trailer titles mean very little on small trailers like this. If not going for a FMV I would not title and just report it as 3999 lbs. Registration will be much higher, not sure how much.

Deano

Thanks again yall! I pick up my trailer at Ft. Sill, OK tomorrow morning. I am very excited. I have already found out that the riser hitch I bought is too short so I have located a Tractor supply in Lawton to do a swap. I planning on using the crap out of this trailer much like the last so I think I will just register the trailer without doing a FMV registration. I'll get some pictures up as soon as I can.

djglover7

All,

I am getting ready to purchase an M1011. Looks like there are options to the title & registration.

But please forgive my ignorance and tell me what an "FMV" is.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks