• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PTO work then crash

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had installed a PTO on my deuce about three months ago and it would not go in all five detents on the shiftier, so I took it off and was looking at it and I noticed that it would not go in to all five detentes. So I did a closer look and noticed the shiftier gear was not going all the way over to the one side.
I took it apart and turned over the gear on the shaft and now it was working ok, going to be a good day.:D
Then as I was putting the last of the bolts back in it fall off the beach and hit the floor and broke off part of the mount flange, day not so good anymore.:sad:

May try to weld it.

Attachments

AZDeuce

Man that sucks! Sorry to hear about that, I think you're an overly qualified welder yourself if I remember right, but we got some one in the local club who could probably weld that up for you if you need it done, email me if you need his contact info.

SquirmyPug

Looks to be cast iron, is that correct? It might be able to be repaired, but it would be best if you remove everything inside it. With cast iron, a pre-heat and post-heat help to prevent cracking and the heat could cause damage to the gears. Before welding, be sure to clean all the grease/oil off the weld area to help prevent porosity.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't weld it, braze it!. My Speciality! Two things: 1, in preparation, V it out leaving only about 3/32" of original material for alignment. Pre heat entire casting with it clamped to FLAT plate, (like one inch plate) , and tack the piece on, then with in preheated good & hot, 7 or 800F, take it off the plate, and braze weld it, keeping the entire casting, hot. It will be adequately strong! If your not a good welder, you will mess it up! Not all welders are good with a torch, and brazing. Welding of any other kind, will mess it up, as cast iron is too ridged, welded! If it comes out not flat, after its brazed, you can re-clamp it to a heavy plate, & heat it to about 1000F & the braze will be plastic enough at that temp, to yield to the flat plate. There is a lot more, to this procedure, but these are the high spots. If somebody thinks they can do the repair, without disassembly, run from them!

2, Your problem with the detent, is probably because, too, the shaft with the detents, is in backwards - reverse it. I had the same problem. Couldn't get it in all the gears!

Good Luck

Last edited:

rustystud

Yeah, a good welder with some Ni-rod should be able to weld that up for you. I've welded a lot of cast iron when I was at Kolstrand Marine Fabrication. Just get it hot, weld with the Ni-rod using a TIG welder then let it cool down slowly with welders sand.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks