• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M1078 owner

Baja2dakar

I just picked up a 1995 and brought it out to California. I have a bunch of questions and want to source parts and service out here on the west coast so any input would be great. I read through a lot of the threads and they have been very helpful. I do want to replace the headlights on my truck with LED style. What is the best source for those? Thanks

jpinst

Depends on what you need. Some parts are plentiful, other are impossible, such as door handles. I am working on obtaining much of these as I have several that I am working on. What else do you need?

Adventurehound

jpinst, Have you had any luck finding door handles? I need the drivers side. I noticed in lots of pic of these trucks on gov liquidation that the door handles are broken or missing. People must find a way to be less destructive:)

Shark Bait

Welcome aboard the LMTV train. They are fine to drive, but yes, some parts can be a ¥€<}% to find. Some are found and evidentially made of unobtanium. I've logged about 1k miles or so on my in the last few months. It is fun to drive. The M1082 trailer looks good and pulls great behind it. Mine came with the LED headlights that are awesome. A happy cruising speed is around 45-50 mph. I've not figured fuel mileage as I don't mind what it is versus the joy I get out of my MV's.
I'll be happy to answer anything I can.

Thanks,
Dave

33duce

Hi Guys, New 1995 M1078 buyer. Not really a replay, more of new/same question. Received my M1078 2 weeks a go and finally released em/parking brake. Took my first spin. 40 feet. Went in a small circle and than truck went to high RPM and would not move any more. Truck seems to have shifter pad issues. When truck starts it goes into
N N I put into drive, D it went into 7 2 so far so good. Than it just slowed down and went into high RPM and would move. It seems like I have to turn off truck and than restart to get it back into N N Any one got any ideas. First trip was not to impressive. Thanks

wehring

I had a mil truck with an allison push button control put itself in gear and take off once. I was able to cause the problem to repeat and it was a bad controller. I have an extra if needed. They are $800 from Allison. Paid retail for the one I replaced. That was before they were showing up on the surplus market

Justin wehring
979 997 3112

fastsailor

also check you throttle position sensor my 95 was doing similar things.
if you want to see the trans errors
1: turn on main power (do not start )
2: push the up an down arrow on the shift pad (you should see the display change to d1 fallowed buy numbers )
3: push and hold the mode button you will hear a beep keep holding till the second beep (this clears all your error codes )
4: start the truck and re create the problem you have then shut down
5: turn on main power (do not start )
6: push the up an down arrow on the shift pad (you should see the display change to d1 fallowed buy numbers write them down)
7: push the mode for the next error code , keep cycling through and writing them down untill you see the first code or some strange characters
8: look at page 38 to 50 in this http://truckroadservice.com/barth_attachments/virus.pdf

my errors are 44 13 and 33 23
44 13 is Short-to-ground, B solenoid circuit
33 23 is Sump oil temperature sensor,failed high
and i replaced the throttle sensor and fixed my
21 23 Throttle position sensor, failed high

docbadger

I am a member of a Search and Rescue team up here in Maine and we just got our first M1078 to go with our three H-1 Hummers. Right now it is still down in Texas being looked over by one of our Texas members. Can't wait to get her up here and start training n her so she can be put in service.

DT1079

Registering in california

I'm super interested in purchasing an m1079, but I live in so cal. I'm worried registering and smog for on-road use. Do you have any insight on how you did?

docbadger

Up here in Maine we are lucky since the truck is based in a county that does not have emission testing and the registration of the vehicle is not gonna happen since some work on the lights is needed to be done. We do have to have all vehicles safety inspected though. Sorry could not help ya, but I am sure out in Cali your gonna have a major battle on your hands.

docbadger

I am a member of a Search and Rescue team up here in Maine and we just got our first M1078 to go with our three H-1 Hummers. Right now it is still down in Texas being looked over by one of our Texas members. Can't wait to get her up here and start training n her so she can be put in service.
Well we have since purchased a M1079 and a M1083 all through the FEPP program. These vehicles are coming out of Red River Army Depot. The 1078 is now in our hanger at KBGR and our M1079 is down at Gorham Maine getting a drone operator station installed for the two drones that we have purchased through Viking UAS. The 1083 is being used to haul our UH-1 Huey's from other states and brought back to Maine.

Khan

I had a similar issue a few years back with an Impala I purchased. At the time I lived in Vancouver Wa. Which there they have the emissions testing requirements. That vehicle ran like a top, but could not pass the emissions. What I did in that case and several other cases since then is register and insure hard to pass emissions vehicles in either non emissions testing county or in another state through either a trusting friend or relative. Most of my vehicles are registered as vintage/historic vehicles with the 1 time lifetime plates. I've never had a problem with driving any of my vehicles registered out of state mainly cause they only get driven on public roads a couple times a year for each vehicle.

DHotle

I recently purchased a M1078. It runs great and I could not be happier. My issue is obtaining insurance. Everyone I talk to has no clue, or seems to be scared to deal with it. I am a Little troubled, as to me it should be no different tan insuring any other big vehicle. Any pointers? Thanks

awind

Here is who I use for insurance. It is a policy for the vehicle being used in parades or special events.

Carol Smith
Gulfway Insurers of Hudson Inc
12701 U S Hwy 19
Bayonet Point FL 34667
Phone (727)863-5451 or (800)940-5010
Fax (727)862-3003

gulfwayinsurers@aol.com

good luck

coachgeo

I recently purchased a M1078. It runs great and I could not be happier. My issue is obtaining insurance. Everyone I talk to has no clue, or seems to be scared to deal with it. I am a Little troubled, as to me it should be no different tan insuring any other big vehicle. Any pointers? Thanks
As most every forum out there on odd vehicles this topic is so often :deadhorse:... Probably why they locked the insurance thread and made it a sticky. If it twas a snake it would have bitten ya when you came to this forum.:p It's stuck to the top in this forum. Here is the link. Lot of good info in it. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?141505-Insurance

Adventurehound

I have insured many military vehicles, including my M1078, thru Progressive. I pay $160 for the year and they have been easy to deal with. I cancel the policy every winter because I don't use it then and just start a new policy in the spring.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks