• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV Air Conditioner

dporter110

I just purchased one of the inside AC units for the LMTV. Does anyone have any ideas about mounting a compressor on the Cat 3116? I have looked around online but in the current configuration the engine is a little crowded for an AC compressor. Any suggestions are appreciated.

dporter110

I purchased the interior evaporator unit and controls made by Red Dot to fit where the existing heater box is now. That portion of the conversion is a simple swap. I'm not certain what model of the MTV family the AC was made to fit and what engine that truck utilized. The Cat 3116 in my truck doesn't have much room to squeeze a compressor in amongst all the hard plumbing on the front of the engine. I need to find a bracket to hang an AC compressor but the rest of the conversion will be pretty simple. Here is a picture of the inside AC unit and the front of my engine.
DSC_0226.jpgDSC_0218.jpg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check with a Red Dot dealer for the condenser and compressor mount for the FMTV.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I purchased the interior evaporator unit and controls made by Red Dot to fit where the existing heater box is now. That portion of the conversion is a simple swap. I'm not certain what model of the MTV family the AC was made to fit and what engine that truck utilized. The Cat 3116 in my truck doesn't have much room to squeeze a compressor in amongst all the hard plumbing on the front of the engine. I need to find a bracket to hang an AC compressor but the rest of the conversion will be pretty simple. Here is a picture of the inside AC unit and the front of my engine.
View attachment 497051View attachment 497052
OK, thanks. I understand better now.

NDT: Red Dot, based upon my past experience, will not sell military specific items to non-military personnel. With that said, if the part in question has a civilian application, they will sell it. I went through this when I put A/C into my M925A2. Most of the parts are military and civilian so they can be purchased. There were some exceptions and we had to work around those parts by adapting civilian parts.

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That will be pretty cool once you finish it (pardon the bad pun)! Let us know how the engine performs when the compressor is running, ie: any noticeable load or increased temps.

Did you have a particular compressor in mind that you are trying to use?

Last edited:

DSD277

I got a condensor among a bunch of parts a few years back. Red Dot could only tell me that it was a BAE specified item and nothing else (that was as much as the computer would let her access). Though my contacts, I was told it was for the FMTVs.
The seller for those replacement units stated he had already done the conversion on his FMTV. Ask him, he may be willing to share the compressor placement and belt routing.
Also, the 3116 was the standard engine in the Chevy and GMC medium duty trucks staring in 1990.

jpinst

If it helps, these units were designed for the M-42 HIMARS missile truck, which is mounted on an M1083 and with a standard FMTV cab with added armor and sound proofing. With the blast shields down, I imagine it gets pretty hot in there. That said, the truck has the same CAT engine and cab as other FMTV's, so I would think looking at the TM might be a good place to start.Himars_high_mobility_artillery_multiple_rocket_launcher_system_fmtv_6x6_truck_Lockeed_Martin_Uni.jpg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank jpinst. I have ordered one.

I know from working in A/C that the btus of the evap, condenser and compressor should match. Does anyone agree that all of the Red Dot military products are the same rating, i.e. , components from the HMMWV kits should interchange?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank jpinst. I have ordered one.

I know from working in A/C that the btus of the evap, condenser and compressor should match. Does anyone agree that all of the Red Dot military products are the same rating, i.e. , components from the HMMWV kits should interchange?
And going a bit further with that, does anyone have experience with the HMMWV kits? How hard would it be to modify one of these (outside the compressor brackets of course) to a LMTV? There are a few available out there on everyone's least favorite public auction site and I'm wondering if I should snag one even before getting a truck. The guy that had ones like the OP on there no longer has them.

DSD277

I am currently working to add a/c to my Pinzgauer.
I have an a/c kit for an HMMWV with add-on armor, plus I have a condenser for a FMTV. I am still in the planning stage of what and how I want to do it, but can give you these tidbits of info. The FMTV a/c is rated at26.7k BTUs. The Approximate size of the condenser is 13x25 with 2 10” fans. The HMMWV condenser is 19”x34” with 2 16” fans. The HMMWV condenser is a little thicker. Some one with a/c experience can say what will happen with mixing those components.. I'm not going to pretend I know.:confused:

decodeme2

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have sold a few Hmmwv Kits to customers with M35A3 trucks. Same engine.. Attached are few pics..$1,250.00
You have to make your own A/C compressor bracket..They told me it was too cold! Ran it on low all the time. Customers have adapted it to M923a2, M923, M35A2, and many others. Cooled my M1044 Great, Wife complained it was too cold!, Turn it down! She demanded..Love it!
Kevin. decodeme@verizon.net

Attachments

Last edited:

dporter110

And less room to work with! The Double stack may be an option but it's pretty tight under the intercooler pipes. Kevin was that idler pulley already present or is that part of your bracket?

GTR0419

I too have one of the cab units and will be looking for parts AC to get it going. I haven't spent a lot of time on this yet, but with a little research and cross-referencing the interior console part number I found the following:

Compressor: NSN-4310015274921 BAE Part #TV040084 Red Dot Part # RD-5-10427-0
Bracket: BAE #TV040075
Belt: BAE #TV040076-001

It's a start if anyone wants to take it further before I get to it. Understand that I do not know the exact descriptions of these parts. I didn't get that far. However, they were all listed as FMTV tactical vehicle parts in the same group as the console. I do know someone who has installed a system. I will shoot him an email and see what he used.

jtron79

To anyone who has installed this unit, what did you do about your gunners platform? i got mine put in but it looks like the GP needs to be trimmed an inch or so.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks