• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Unbearable heat blowing into cab

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I packed up all my gear for a near week long trip, with the deuce and my small dog. I had the whole passenger seat and floor filled up (so no air from the passenger side floor vent) and the passenger side window was only 1/2 way down. Though I did have the passenger front window tipped out several inches for a strong amount of wind on the highway. Of course the driver's side window was all the way down with open floor side vent as well.

My truck does have a hard top but it was only 80 degrees out and nothing 45 mph wind and sunscreen couldn't handle - so I thought.

Near as I can tell Hades' **** wind was blowing in from the transmission floor hole and my legs were farmer sausages in a country oven!

I've never been this hot in my truck before. I'll also admit that I've never taken my deuce more than 20 miles from my home and I wanted to change that - but this trip ended at 20 miles with me turning around and heading home!

I checked the heater controls during the drive and they were certainly not on. But air was blowing in from the heater. Is that normal?

I'm not sure if I have a transmission low on oil (yes, I failed to check its levels, it didn't even cross my mind...) generating an absurd excess amount of heat or if that's "just the way things are" in a deuce. It seems to be excessive heat to me.

Driving down the interstate at 45 mph (about 2100 RPM) the engine was happy at a solid 180° F (just finished a coolant flush and multiple rinses).

I know that I can get canvas transmission and transfer case lever boot covers:
http://www.jatonkam35s.com/m35shiftboots.htm

I'm sure those will certainly help, but the I can't simple canvas being a big enough change in keeping out the heat - especially with how much heat the transmission cover was generating.

Any thoughts, if you made it through my ramblings? ;)

Thanks, as always, for your help.

Carlo

If you follow the heater tube hoses to the motor you will finds valves. Close them and that will stop some of heat in the cab but very little. Unlike our cars these trucks have no insulation on the bulkheads, floors and etc. The heat from the motor and etc passes into the cab.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gimpy is right. Roll those side windows up and open the windshield, you won't get any engine heat from the holes.

It's night and day difference as far as cab temp and will do more than you'll ever do trying to plug the holes.

ralph3162

I had the same problem. There is a large hole where the steering column goes through the fire wall. It was letting in a large amount of heat from the engine compartment. while driving I filled it with spray on expandable foam no more heat from the engine into the cab.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I had the same problem. There is a large hole where the steering column goes through the fire wall. It was letting in a large amount of heat from the engine compartment. while driving I filled it with spray on expandable foam no more heat from the engine into the cab.
There is a cardboard gasket supposed to be there! I replaced mine with rubber insulation. It helped a bit.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will 3rd Gimpyrobb and m16ty. Close all windows and vents and prop the driver glass open a few clicks (4"). The difference will leave you speechless. You really don't need to do anything but this. The open windshield pressurizes the cab and blows out through all the holes.

61sleepercab

You may want to get some exhaust pipe wrap from a stock car supply site and wrap the exhaust under the hood. You need to put down a rag rug or something on the floor as the sheet metal will get hot from the engine compartment and turn into a mini oven on your side. I have a S 10 truck with no carpet on the transmission tunnel and it gets hot and radiates heat into the cab. Mark

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will 3rd Gimpyrobb and m16ty. Close all windows and vents and prop the driver glass open a few clicks (4"). The difference will leave you speechless. You really don't need to do anything but this. The open windshield pressurizes the cab and blows out through all the holes.
Wow you guys, after these 4 years of ownership I never knew (or thought ) of it differently like that. I will do that. Wow.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I learned this trick back in the 90s from Ross Moier. He was a member here for a few years before he passed (acetomatoco). I laughed when he told me but after the very first road trip I was a believer and spread the gospel of windows up for comfort. Driving into the eve hours you can actually crack open a side window and vary the amount of heat that enters the cab to keep it nice and comfy. Far and away the best tip ever for a deuce owner. As far as bugs, I've been pelted by them too. There is a sweet spot you can lock the window at that just keeps them out. I prefer the drivers side here in FL as one minute it's sunny and 900 then next it's raining sideways. Gotta slam it shut real quick before you are soaked.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are supposed to close the heater hose valves in the summer to keep the heater core from adding heat to the cab.

Just one will do it.

FloridaAKM

When I went to North Georgia early last month to pick up my first Deuce, I had been told by a member here to do the pressurizing trick with the windows. During the hot day, all the windows up & the drivers front window open just a few inches @ highway speed, kept the truck cool. At night when everything cooled down, just an inch or so on the front window & the drivers side window down about 4 inches kept it really comfortable. If you are in a traffic jam for any length of time, open up the front window as much as you need & go till the traffic jam clears. Turning off the coolant to the heater core is a good idea till winter arrives too!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks