• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air Bag rear suspension

Bill in pa

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My axle is on top of the spring. I just used the main leaf, not the extra wrap around helper. The bottom shock mount is sandwiched between the spring and the top u-bolt plate. My U-bolts go from the bottom up. The spring needs to be close to parallel with the frame. If you put the spring under the axle the spring is at way to much of a angle. I tried it all ways. the air bags are http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=16531 Im told they compress down to 5" min. and up to 14" max. extension. There should be at normal ride height 12" from bottom of frame to top of axle. That's what the front is. For a torque bar bracket I made one and welded it to the top of the axle where the rectangle plate is. then the other side to the passenger side axle.. I have a lot of pictures but don't know how to send them. Tomorrow im going to the parts store for airbag plumbing

Mos68x

When I was thinking of keeping my 1-ton van I had toyed with the idea of changing it completely to air bags. It's nice to hear other have thought about doing the same thing wi these trucks.

Does anyone know what the air bags are rated for on the older (M35?) tractor trucks? I know I can easily get 5k# air bags, and using 4 in the rear I could theoretically have a 20k# load rating over the rear tandem when I'm finished. 20k# would give me plenty of cushion for anything I wanted to put on the rear of the truck, both trailer tongue weight and a "van body". Besides that, with airbags you can reduce air pressure and get a smoother ride than you could ever consider getting from the stock steel tandem springs.

cbrTodd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@simp5782 Wes, do you have a part number for the air bags you used? I am guessing it is an AirLift Dominator D2600 based on appearance, but that doesn't match the weight capacity that you listed in another thread that I can't find right now - the D2600 only has a max capacity of 3055 lb at 100 psi. I'm considering duplicating this to try to smooth out the ride in my camper, so any help is appreciated!

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don’t forget when calculating your loads that you have about 2,000lb per rear axle/2 tires that is under the bags and not carried by them. I was looking at some longer travel 5” diameter bags a few years ago. IIRC, the idea stalled out due to the CTIS hoses being in the way.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks