• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 - which radio used - where to install radio antenna

alfa59

Hi,

Greetings from Belgium (Europe). Has there ever been a fix radio on board of the Deuce (I am thinking especially during the Nam period)?

Which one?
Where was it located?
Where was the antenna installed?

Is there any TM referring to this?

thanks,

Chris

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: M35A2 - which radio used - where to install radio anten

Take a look at TB 11-5820-890-20-8, Technical Manual section (left column this site).
FWIW, below is an image of my beginning installation. The radio mount is not visible but is below the seat and the intercom on the wall behind the seat.
RT-524 will fit just right.

Attachments

alfa59

Thanks for the quick feedback. Good basis to start with.
Looks the PRC-77 could fit there as well.

All the best!

Chris

acetomatoco

Yup, I had the RT524 setup...there under the passenger seat... there is a specific installation kit for the radios in M series Deuces...multiple antenna mounting locations and accessories..

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Most had the VRC-12 series of radios installed, which included the RT-524 or RT-246 series transceiver. The earliest M35 series trucks from the 1950s had some version of the RT-66/67/68 transceiver, with a PP-112 power supply, at the very least, and the current deuces that are used in the radio transmission role incorporate either the VRC-12 series, GRC-106, GRC-206, or SINCGARS-based radio sets. Most nowadays that have the radio role have an S-280 shelter on the back, and the radios are no longer installed in the forward cab area, mostly due to the fact that newer deuces have the air-ride seats installed, and a radio can't fit under them.

greensix

I have a rt-841/prc-77 under the passenger seat the antenna mounts on the side of bed with spacer and mount. I also have a vrc-1 intercom system so I can use my cvc helmets to talk to passenger or on radio so you do not have to scream at each other.with straight exhaust and a wistler turbo it can get alittle loud in the cab.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is where the radio install TM says to put the antenna... Right behind the cab, on a pole. Only problem is you tend to hit EVERY overhead wire and overpass in the world.

TB 11-5820-890-20-8 is for mounting SINCGARS radios, but placement is the same for the VRC 12 series stuff..

Here is what I did with my antenna, I mounted it using the M900 series 5 ton radio bracket on the passenger fender. It's not as high as the "correct" M35A2 mounting location, and you only hit every other over pass...

Attachments

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had M936's they mounted on the fender, and the M984's had them mounted in the standard HEMTT location for antennas.

EVERY wrecker had a radio, it's MUCH easier to coordinate recovery missions that way.

5tonpuller

emmado22 said:
I had M936's they mounted on the fender, and the M984's had them mounted in the standard HEMTT location for antennas.

EVERY wrecker had a radio, it's MUCH easier to coordinate recovery missions that way.
Mine has the seat in it that the seat part flips up. Has 2 bucket seats. Not a bench seat. Of course a picture would be a great thing about now. Looks great.

Guyfang

Staff member
Here is where the radio install TM says to put the antenna... Right behind the cab, on a pole. Only problem is you tend to hit EVERY overhead wire and overpass in the world.

TB 11-5820-890-20-8 is for mounting SINCGARS radios, but placement is the same for the VRC 12 series stuff..

Here is what I did with my antenna, I mounted it using the M900 series 5 ton radio bracket on the passenger fender. It's not as high as the "correct" M35A2 mounting location, and you only hit every other over pass...

We had three M35A2's with RT-524 set up. They were for our ARSOP, Advance Recon team. The antannas were the Bain of German gasthaus beer signs. The tiny roads forced us to sometimes drive on the sidewalk. After we had several instances of paying for new signs, we tied the antannas down.

Dunkeye11

My truck had a radio one and the antenna was mounted on the end of the bed far passenger side
inside had the mounting holes for the radio mount I put a sincgars mount in it cause my 524 is in my Jeep
thinking about moving the antenna to the raised convoy light pole on the drivers side since I only have 1 convoy light

rustystud

We had three M35A2's with RT-524 set up. They were for our ARSOP, Advance Recon team. The antannas were the Bain of German gasthaus beer signs. The tiny roads forced us to sometimes drive on the sidewalk. After we had several instances of paying for new signs, we tied the antannas down.
Guyfang, I decided to price out a "RT-524" after you mentioned it here yesterday. WOW ! Over $650.00 for a good used one !!!!
Guess I'll stick with my "walkie-talkies" for now !

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guyfang, I decided to price out a "RT-524" after you mentioned it here yesterday. WOW ! Over $650.00 for a good used one !!!!
Guess I'll stick with my "walkie-talkies" for now !
Used to be that 'pvt jarhead' in Reno had completely refurbished ones for $400, but he went 'out of business' a couple of years ago. Fully equipped PRC-77's are approaching $400 (w/antennas, handsets, etc.). Mosr of the old stuff is now in private hands and does not get sold very often. And the newer stuff has to be demilled (think chopped in little pieces) so it's not getting out. I had an antenna for a PRC-320 get hung up in customs because of ITAR this past week.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks