• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bikini on a CUCV

zout

Sure wish that fella would start a thread on the trailer as promised and threatened so I can start on it ????? I cannot start till I have something to post pics and lies to !!!!!!!!!!!!! geeeeeeeze o pete

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sure wish you clowns would finish a project before starting a new one. ;-)

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sure wish you clowns would finish a project before starting a new one. ;-)
We now have four projects in play

m100 tubbie
925 bobbitt
m1009 bikini
6602 gasser headjob

Soon to start Hett wrecker conversion: Boomer

Last edited:

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay mounted the pioneer rack! Fits great and out if way. Soft top gets put on next week and will be ready for rally

Hard top still goes on for winter

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410954896.655366.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410954909.737964.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410954922.371577.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410954933.221426.jpg

Note natural wood TWM

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks great!!! Now where is my kickback?

Looks similar to these mockups

M1009-Slantback soft top.jpgM1009-Slantback.jpg

zout

Its naugahyde do you realize how many Naugies hides it takes to make that cover ? They are as small as snipes and it takes a lot of time not to damage the hides so they can be sewn into a full canvas to make a cover.

mdeamicis

I know it is an old post, but it is the most recently updated that I have come across so for. So I will bear the burden of guilt for resurrecting the troll.

Did this cage go into the front of the cab? I would love some pics of it did. I want to build a front to back cage for my 86 M1009 but not make it difficult for passengers to . enter and exit the back seat. I have the general idea but inspiration and experience are always welcome. I see you live not to far from me as well.

EDIT: I did not realize, but a was linked in half way through the thread. I went back and read the 5 pages I missed. I see it is a rear cage only, so nix the desired pics for what is not there. Also, you do not live near me. I was confusing this thread with the one that linked me here.

Thanks anyway, END EDIT

Last edited:

o1951

Did this cage go into the front of the cab? I would love some pics of it did. I want to build a front to back cage for my 86 M1009 but not make it difficult for passengers to . enter and exit the back seat. I have the general idea but inspiration and experience are always welcome. I see you live not to far from me as well.

Look at roll cages made for the Chevy Blazer. Same cab as 1009. Main differences I am aware of - 1009 had heavy springs, 24 volts, as far as I know, did not come with AC.

mdeamicis

Look at roll cages made for the Chevy Blazer. Same cab as 1009. Main differences I am aware of - 1009 had heavy springs, 24 volts, as far as I know, did not come with AC.
Yup, been lookin. Most commercially available are just quick and easy with no real consideration for entry into the back seat. I know people who weld and bend and everything else. They are all into toyota though, as am I. Call me a commy but I love not working on my trucks. K5 blazers are the only detroit motor trio vehicles I would ever own. The guy I run with would probably love working on this truck though and we should have something figured out sooner or later. She is on road only for now.

o1951

Right - make your own. Looking gives you idea on tubing to use, wall thickness, diameter, best attachment points. You start with theirs and modify design to suit your access needs. Overbuild it. Gussets are your friend. Pad the heck out of it so your heads do not get beat up if it is needed.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless you are a serious rock climber, the front cage is overkill. I placed the front of the cage right behind the front seat. Any rollover outside of 3-4 rolls down a steep rock climb would be okay. That said you can build a complete cage and if it is not properly reinforced and tied into the frame it can collapse anyway.

mdeamicis

Yea, nothing is indestructible. There are reasonable levels of preparation for any given situation. I blew a rear tire on an 87 camry doing 90. Thank god it was 5 am on a Saturday and no one else was on the road. Because after doing a 3/4 spin I hit the embankment backwards and did cartwheels down the freeway. The roof was completely flat by the time all was said and done. Definitely not part of the plan.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks