• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1952 M135 W/Winch

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
USMC 00-08 you lucked out, that is the early M135 tail gate. That style was only made for a short time and most that have surfaced have the step part beaten or missing.

tom135 020.jpg tom135 001.jpg Jersy hick's crew cab 135 has one also.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Troop seat short leg measurement

Torus, torque convertor......, how about "Fluid Coupler".......here's the 1953 fluid coupler video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leCEmJA0WsI

Maybe one of those brilliant mechanic types will explain the 'easy way' to get at the brakes. I see them talk about only pulling drums or axle assemblies and I only know how to remove everything. Probably the best way to go unless they've already been inspected.

On page 149 TM 9-8024 #39 states:

""""""Note. Complete brakeshoe mechanism cannot be inspected or replaced un-less brake drum and hub are removed. Brake drums only, however can be removed (par. 240) for inspection of brake lining condition only. Coordinate the following inspection of brake shoe mechanism with the ANNUAL wheel bearing service described above."""""""

Still looking for support on the compressor and shock repair?

TAILGATE, Jerseyhick had the first one I saw. I've looked at 30 trucks and have not seen another, wish I had one. I've read they were made in the early years so some more details on the funky tailgate would be handy.

I don't like assuming so this time I anticipated you could use the measurements on the short legs for the seats.

Looks like they used the same mounting feature as the long legs, cut it short then bolted an extension on.

P7190141.jpgP7190140.jpgP7190147.jpgP7190146.jpgP7190143.jpgP7190144.jpgP7190142.jpgP7190139.jpg

USMC 00-08

Looks like I will be taking everything apart to do the brakes. Probably best anyway. Yes I am still looking for help on the air governor and shocks.

Thanks for the pictures!! That is exactly what I needed. I think I can modify some of the extra pieces to look and function just like what I need.

Do I need to post up more pictures of the tailgate?

Today I started working on some brake issues. Someone at some point in the past broke the brass brake line fitting off of the driver side of the rear axle and in the process belled out the first 3/8 of an inch inside the block that it screws into. I had to get a 1/8 inch NPT tap to run inside the block and into the smooth metal below the old threads. Then I took a 1 1/2 inch long brass nipple, put a collar and the brass fitting in the picture together to fix it. I'll get the part number to the brass fitting in the picture added to the parts list and will post it on here soon since I don't have the number in front of me. It is what we need if anyone else has a broken fitting.
100_2114.jpg

In the process of working on that, I found that the rubber brake line that goes from the middle axle to the frame in front of the rear axle has a hole and is blowing brake fluid all over the back of the middle driver side wheel. I thought it was bad wheel cylinders but maybe not.

Also found out that the front brake lines are not even connected and the port on the front axle is plugged off. I'm not sure what I will get into when that is reconnected. This is why the brakes are weak I suppose.

Part number for the brass fitting is 122520 at Bumper to Bumper and O'Reilly's.

Last edited:

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't fear much on these old things, but I treat the transmissions with respect. Having said that, I would tear the governor cover off and see what is wrong. Cracked cover, bad diaphragm??? I suspect there is no adjusting, only a spring and maybe a check ball??? Post what you find.

I really like the step, so practical.

butch atkins

I have ransacked the house looking for TM 9-1819AA the 1952 Restricted edition of the Ordnance Field And Depot Maintenance GMC Model 302 Engine manual,it has a chapter dealing exclusively with the troubleshooting and rebuild of the Midland Air Compressor and Governor Assembly. The later TM 9-8025-1 Engine manual does not have the chapter on this. Will keep looking as I know that I have both these manuals and just can't remember where they are. Good luck on your project!

USMC 00-08

That would be very helpful. I will be working on that soon but am trying to research it out a little so I don't make it worse and not be able to find replacement parts for a while. Does anyone have a part number for a new diaphragm?

Today I got the shock absorbers serviced and the air worked out of them. Then I started working on hooking up the front brake lines, but I need to do some more work to get everything to line up right. The original fitting that the lines would have screwed into at the axle is long gone. A 1/8 inch pipe plug was blocking where that fitting would have been.

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Too bad you don't have a donor truck close by. It gives a guy more confidence to tear stuff apart. Having super mechanics around saying stuff like, "Just make a gasket", "just use a puller", " just service it", "just take it apart and fix it" "why can't you put a seal in straight" or "grab the spanner pliers" helps a great deal. Real glad to see Butch back so now you'll find everything you need to get er done. I have info on the governor adjustment on page 453 of TM 9-8024 but very little info on the compressor. Governor settings are just screwing, prying and twisting so nothing we haven't done to the top of a beer bottle.

Gunfreak has been a mechanical inspiration showing the details of a tear-down, sure miss him around here.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?80669-How-to-Disassembly-of-the-GMC-air-compressor

It does appear that some more parts are finding their way out of the barns. After having a look for the AA version of 1918 using the search terms "G749 air compressor" "TM1918AA G749" "G749 parts" I realize why I don't like the terms "add to cart".

You have an elephant of repairs ahead of you so if you do a compressor tear-down, keep the photos coming so we can see what you're seeing. I have spares.

USMC 00-08

Gunfreak has been a mechanical inspiration showing the details of a tear-down, sure miss him around here.
Yes he has. He should be about done with basic training by now. Maybe we will hear from him before he heads of to his MOS school.

Today I got the front brakes hooked back up, everything bled and a test drive done. The truck stopped great!!.....until the rubber hose that goes from the steel line to the driver side wheel blew. It was old and brittle. I'll be hunting down more hoses and adding the numbers to our part list soon.

Some of the wheel cylinders are leaking and will need rebuilt/replaced in the near future. I plan on going through the brakes, completing an axle at a time, starting with the front, as time allows.

I also spoke with the person that sold the truck to the guy I bought it from and got a little history on the thing. It came out of the military, went to the forestry service and then to a fire department in Kansas, which is who he bought it from. He said that it had a leaking head gasket when he got it and when he tore things down to replace that, had a valve job done. That was less than 4,000 miles ago. He also has a complete NOS set of canvas for the bed that I am going to go get on Saturday. The truck had a gun turret, bows and new spare tires as well, but the guy I bought it from didn't want any of that and it was all sold not long ago:x...except for the canvas. He said he also has a trailer, some plug wires and a generator.

I've also got a lead on some other bows that I am following up on.

USMC 00-08

I picked up the cargo canvas today. It was in better shape than what I was expecting. A little dusty from indoor storage, but will clean up fine. That is the end curtain folded up in the background.

0809141419.jpg

I am not entirely sure this is for the G749 series, but it sure looks really close and the dimensions seem right. The thing that is throwing me off is the front end curtain is not a separate piece. Does anyone know what this may go to? I have tried looking up the cargo cover for several trucks but do not see any exactly like this. This cover is made this way and has not been modified.

USMC 00-08

The front axle rubber brake hoses have been replaced and part numbers added to the list. After about an hour of searching through parts books, there was no hose exactly like what was originally on the truck, so we had to improvise. We ordered the hose (part number H4900) and a fitting (part number 258540) , then added a washer, toothed lock washer and nut to complete.
100_2124.jpg

And the finished product.
100_2125.jpg

The rubber grommet that is on the shield that the hose goes through came in an assortment pack. Everything is hooked up and no leaks except for the previously mentioned wheel cylinders. I'm happy with how the improvising turned out.

butch atkins

Hey,looking in the ORD 9 G-749 manual ,the Cover,cargo body ,Top,M 135 ,pt# 7411556 is a 1 pc unit with only the rear of the truck having a Curtain,end,51 1/2 x 82 3/8 in. (cargo body) M 135 part # 7411557. In a million posts I could never get those 2 part #s to line up like that again. Maybe should go buy a lottery ticket.good luck on your project.

USMC 00-08

I guess the canvas is correct then. I will hopefully have a set of bows by the end of the week. They are a set of all metal bows off of an M35 but I think I can modify them to work. I know they are not correct, but I thought they would be more sturdy, plus no one will really be looking at those.

Has anyone ever tried to dye their faded canvas? I read about the old original military canvas sealer having dye in it but I can't find any anywhere. I did get some Canvak and was thinking about adding some olive drab colored Rit Dye to it to see what happens in a not so noticeable spot on my cab canvas.

USMC 00-08

Does anyone know where to find a power piston assembly for the M54/800 series trucks AirPak?

This thread mentions it when rebuilding an AirPak.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?70703-M220-AirPak-rebuild

I cannot seem to find one online but maybe I am not typing in the right word combination. The reason I am asking is I would like to rebuild both of the AirPak that I have for my M135 at some point in the near future. If no one sells just the power piston assembly, I would like to see if someone would lend one to me to get the measurements off of. I am currently in school to be a machinist and would like to try to make some of these so we can use the rebuild kit mentioned in the above thread.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You're all over that truck man....and under it......and going to the correct school. My Landscaping certificate does not help when I work on my truck other than helping me understand 'green side up'. Tried running some gasket material through the printer but it just kept jamming up so guess we'll just have to print off about 20 sheets of your gasket so they're thick enough to glue on. Amazing time to be a machinist because it's not just lathe's, breaks and water-jets but lasers, robots and 3D printers. You'll be able to print me a new printer with your 3d printer, water-jet laser.
The air-pak kit that I have came from Tower Park and it's a complete kit. It can't be the last one out there. The 4 1/2" X 8"X 2" high, white box is labelled AIR PACK KIT Q'TY ; 1EA...... The Piston 7376692 Spring 7376741 and Ring 7376724 are bagged together. If we can get the old kids checking their barns again maybe we can still find some.

Not sure if the G749 Veterans that used the 800 series parts would still have their source but I searched a few part numbers....

http://haystack.ihs.com/partnumber/6277260
http://www.iaircraftparts.com/25300...y-19207-u-s-army-tank-automotive-command.html

I'll PM you with some other info.

USMC 00-08

The last few days has allowed me to do some more work on my truck. I have been working on flushing the cooling system and am about done with that. The floor pan was pulled so I could get to the top of the transmission to check the front band. The pin was a little high, but is down to where it needs to be now.

While the pan is off, I power washed the top of the transmission and found this data plate on the passenger side of it. It shows the transmission is 5 years newer than the arsenal overhaul tag shows. Hopefully that means the transmission has less than the 7300 miles the truck has on it since overhaul.
0825141753.jpg

Yesterday evening, I was able to get free to go get the bow set I mentioned earlier. Hopefully I can modify the metal bows to work.
0825141932.jpg

I have a question for those of you that are more familiar with these trucks. I have noticed that I can hear a series of clicking sounds coming from the Generator-Regulator that is pictured on page 286 of the TM. Usually it is a fast click...click...click sound that happens here and there and in no particular pattern as to when it happens. Is this normal or is there a problem?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks