• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1952 M135 W/Winch

rustystud

Cold weather got here early this year and I came nowhere close to achieving my goal, but got some more done.

View attachment 753394View attachment 753396

I found this old paint on one of the window frames and thought my new paint matches the color really well.

View attachment 753395

These were in an old GMC truck catalog from the 50's and I found it interesting.

View attachment 753398View attachment 753397View attachment 753399View attachment 753400
Most people don't know this but GMC/Chevy and IHC where some of the first production engines that used a full flow oil lubrication system and not the old "splash" system use by Ford and others back then. I think it had to do with keeping their military contracts, that is just my opinion though.

Another Ahab

Most people don't know this but GMC/Chevy and IHC where some of the first production engines that used a full flow oil lubrication system and not the old "splash" system use by Ford and others back then. I think it had to do with keeping their military contracts, that is just my opinion though.
Interesting to know, thanks rustystud.

How did that help them keep their contracts?

rustystud

Interesting to know, thanks rustystud.

How did that help them keep their contracts?
With the full pressure oil system you can take your vehicle on most any incline with no worries about oil starvation. Also it provides for a higher revving engine so more power, plus you get a much longer engine life.
If your the government agency procuring military vehicles wouldn't you want the best available ?

USMC 00-08

I ran across this while looking up the Lube Order. I'm not sure that there ever was a revision to TM 9-8024 that reflected the change in checking the transmission fluid after the neutral safety lock was installed. I also wonder if this is even the best way to check it. It is definitely more safe, but would the transmission suffer for it later down the road?

20200212_140807.jpg

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey there Oklahoma, good to hear your voi......good to see y.......it's good to read your typing.

The Maintenance boys didn't introduce this until 1962 which is interesting. Did the U.S. keep injury reports from maintenance depots in a museum somewhere? If the G749 bit some guys in the 10 years prior to the PM change, it'd be good to have some documentation for display.
Injuries could help drive the point home about reviewing 'all' the Technical manuals before operations.

I've been doing it both wrong and right for ten years.

What's going on inside that transmission when it changes from N to D? Where's Rusty? Push my head inside that transmission and tell me where the oil is going when we check fluid levels, please.

SturmTyger380

Well you want as much of the transmission oil to be in action in the system so the level can be checked.

When the engine is running the front impeller is spinning and pumping oil around. When you are in drive the oil goes through some other areas of the transmission but I would think the amount is not that much more than the impeller is pumping. So I think safety overruled the slight difference in how the oil levels would be seen.

USMC 00-08

I'm at the point where I need stencils or decals for my gauges. Dave at Delta Team Decals might be able to make them. Does anyone of you have a gauge panel that has all of these markings still on it? None of my trucks have markings left for me to be able to measure. Here is what the email from Dave said so if any one can get these measurements for me, I would sure appreciate it.

"Yes, I have the markings like, HIGH BEAM, FUEL, OIL, ect. in either decal or paint mask. The decals tend to work better on those small fonts. The other markings you have around the speedo, I do not have, nor have I ever seen. They could be replicated but I would need some measurements like height of font and length to the arrows and diameter of the speedo to go around."

M135 Gauge Cluster Markings.jpg

USMC 00-08

I was talking to Plowboy the other day and he reminded me that I should give an update and post some pictures....so here it is.

There is a lot of work being done, most of it on cab related parts and my gosh are there a lot of those.

The data plates are done and ready for install.

20200316_141030.jpg20200413_140701.jpg20200423_175304.jpg

Templates are cut and insulation is waiting until hardtop parts are done being prepared.

20200424_145047.jpg20200429_154341.jpg20200507_113938.jpg

The neutral safety lock is ready and the horn button is refurbished. Still working on the steering wheel.

20200706_144740.jpg20200708_130219.jpg20200708_171042.jpg

More to follow...

Last edited:

USMC 00-08

Update continued....

Most hardtop pieces have been primed and some glass has been replaced.

20200420_135508.jpg20200424_134941.jpg20200707_180849.jpg

The fuel tank supports are ready for paint and rubber strap has been ordered for the tank cushion. Also installed a NOS fuel gauge sending unit I had squirreled away.

20200709_134732.jpg20200709_151734.jpg20200709_155259.jpg

A lot of time has been spent trying to find parts that will work for the G749, since some parts don't seem to exist any longer. An example would be the window brush that goes here. I may have found something that will work with slight modification, but am not sure yet. If it does work, I will let everyone know.

20200502_171304.jpg

I'm still in need of measurements for the Low Range/High Range markings around the speedometer shown in post #608.

Merle

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Paul

Looked in the truck, the previous owner had repainted the panel. Sorry I couldn't help. Has been a bad year here, Jodi had a heart attack then I had to take her to Salt Lake to have a cancer operation. Good news she is doing great. My health is failing, not giving up by no means. Too many projects.
Hope all is well there, take care.

Merle

Another Ahab

Paul

Looked in the truck, the previous owner had repainted the panel. Sorry I couldn't help. Has been a bad year here, Jodi had a heart attack then I had to take her to Salt Lake to have a cancer operation. Good news she is doing great. My health is failing, not giving up by no means. Too many projects.

Merle
Hang tough, Mr Merle.

Saying my little prayer for your Jodi and you here right now.

Amen

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update continued....

I'm still in need of measurements for the Low Range/High Range markings around the speedometer shown in post #608.
608 was only two posts before your last one. Seems like yesterday. Gunfreak25 and I had different measurements for front window glass so If you have glass measurements it'll help with gauging glass setting tape.

Who doesn't have an imperial tape measure when ya need one? Here's a start. The letters are 4mm wide x 6mm ht. and the rest can be estimated to scale.....and that's why I used a scale ruler. I'm a ssum ing Diamond Decal Dave can get the gauge diameter from you.

I started with the dash in Goose but camera angles and ruler distance off the deck throws off the accuracy. If you need more info let me know.

If a guy is typing on a keyboard then he's likely not working on the truck so it's super duper great to see that crazy detail. Now that's a restoration!

P7151869.JPGP7151868.JPGP7151867.JPGP7151860.JPGP7151866.JPGP7151861.JPG

USMC 00-08

Thank you for checking Merle. I'm sorry to hear things have been so rough. I'm glad Jodi is doing better. I'll call you soon so we can catch up.

608 was only two posts before your last one. Seems like yesterday. Gunfreak25 and I had different measurements for front window glass so If you have glass measurements it'll help with gauging glass setting tape.

Who doesn't have an imperial tape measure when ya need one? Here's a start. The letters are 4mm wide x 6mm ht. and the rest can be estimated to scale.....and that's why I used a scale ruler. I'm assuming Diamond Decal Dave can get the gauge diameter from you.
Thank you Dave. I will send this info to Decal Dave and see if he can get this duplicated. I'm very close to needing the decal or stencil.

On the glass, I got the same measurements as what Gunfreak25 posted several years ago for the door glass. I haven't had to change out the front glass yet.

Another Ahab

Sounds like fancy stuff, plowboy, how does it work, like a shim of some kind?

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Paul

Merle

Merle and Jodi,
Not to hijack this thread, but as we are learn in Ecclesiastes 3 there is a time for everything, and right now it's certainly time to pray....

Heavenly Father,
Our brother Merle and his bride Jodi are calling on You and we join them in harmonious prayer with them, lifting them and their health up to Your loving care and perfect remedy. We pray healing over Jodie's heart and that all traces of cancer be gone from her body. And for Merle's general health we pray healing and restoration, comfort and peace. Lord, let your Presence be utterly obvious to them each day as You work miracles in their bodies that will confound the wise. And, should your remedy be by using doctors, let their learned minds be focused and their skilled hands be guided as though they are Your healing hands at work with them. May all who are providing them care be so directed by You the Creator Who stitched them together in their mothers' wombs, and to which condition You are returning all that is out of alignment.
Through this journey, please give them that peace that surpasses understanding.
In Jesus' name we pray.
AMEN!

Please feel free to holler at me via PM if there is anything we can do for you or anything more specific to be included in our prayers.

Vaya con Dios!
(Go with God!)
:usafss:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks