• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1952 M135 W/Winch

USMC 00-08

Hood markings

Thanks for the heads up klunk. I have been following your thread since your started it. My transmission oil cooler was not near as bad as yours. Only 1.5-2 inches of sludge. Heeding your warning, I did start checking things though as a precaution and water seems to be flowing as it should so far. The flush I did seems to have worked very well. That new paint on your truck looks great!!!

I did find some hood and bumper markings on my truck. They are 4G 3868. I have not been able to find out much about this, but it appears that those markings were used in the 1960's. Would anyone happen to know how that would translate into the old style markings such as 411x3868?

Last edited:

FrankUSMC

What transmission is in the truck? I just bought out a large collection of old military manuals and I have a couple for a transmission that I do not have a clue what it is.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What transmission is in the truck? I just bought out a large collection of old military manuals and I have a couple for a transmission that I do not have a clue what it is.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET
TM9-8025-2, 301MG and 303M Hydramatic Transmission

butch atkins

There is also TM 9-1819AB for the GMC 302M Hydramatic Transmission. This is the early model that is printed in 1952 for the first GMC Zhydramatics has a lot of good info in the troubleshooting section. Good luck on all your projects!

USMC 00-08

Hard Top

Does anyone know what is a good price for a hard top and military heater for an M135? I found these and would like to buy them soon.

Here is a pic of the hard top. I was not able to get a pic of the heater that is on a different truck.
Hard top.jpg

I got a little more work done on my truck today. The points and condenser were replaced and the timing was adjusted. The points were really bad and the timing was way off. I am surprised that the truck was running as good as it was. A huge difference for the better was noticed after all this was done.

I was going to adjust the carburetor, check the RPMs at idle, etc., but ran out of time and could not figure out how to hook up the tachometer to the distributor like is mentioned in the TM. Does anyone know how to do this or where to get an adaptor?

Here are some new part numbers for our list. Borg-Warner Points at O'Reilly's are A72. Borg-Warner condenser is G120A.

USMC 00-08

I am planning on starting to redo my brake system beginning this weekend or next and am trying to gather civilian part numbers for everything first. I think I have all the part numbers except for the outer hub oil seal. Does anyone have a part number for that or know if it is the same as the inner hub oil seal? I can't tell by looking at the picture in the TM.

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Post #140 on the G749 Preservation thread has a few photos with the seals I pulled and what I found for replacements.

Here's a blurb....

Inner axle seal

The "National" 'original' inner axle seal Part #2277317 (Mil-B-121E)

Levy # 7411307

Modern equivalent seal is CR (Chicago Rawhide ) 18025 716....I hope.

Inner Hub Seal

Original Levy #7411429

Found in hub CR 32519

Modern equivalent Timken 418028

Size....3.250 X 4.5 X 0.375

Did you ever time the beast? SuperDave brought over a fancy timing light that clipped onto the #1 wire and timed it that way. Then I play with the timing when the truck says I should.
The TM direction on the use of the adapter is dated but it would be cool to have a G749 tool package, including the adapter, trani tools and a pioneer kit. Keep on shopping.

Hope the part numbers work, check the ones you have in just to be sure.

:tigger:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 Hub, wheel

Just so I don't mix up the 'inner' 'outer' definition here's a picture of the Wheel, Hub.

We have 2 different seals it appears and I'm thinking I also have 'D', #7411340 somewhere
so need to dig more.

hub wheel 001.jpg

USMC 00-08

Thanks for the info. I knew I had seen that somewhere but could not find it anywhere with the search function. I still need a part number for 'D'.

I did get the timing set. My dad had a timing light that hooked up to the #1 plug wire. We went to adjust the carburetor and set the RPM's but the carb needs rebuilt since the accelerator pump is not working. I did find a rebuild kit for it and hope to get that done soon as well.

There was an adapter set for our trucks on an auction site last week. I was the only person to bid on it but the reserve price kept me from getting it since no one else put in a bid. Sure would have liked to have had it.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Working on data to back it up however for D I found National 9427-s. Looks like the correct ones here on the shelf so I'll get photos later so we can confirm.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 Hub, wheel seals

I'm almost absolutely for surely positive that maybe with a chance and the opportunity this seal is it.

PA030240.jpgPA030249.jpg

Until you have the other one out and compare its the best I can give you. Did a little search for the number and found this http://www.autopartoo.com/oem/national/9427s.html
Some dimensions are on there and we may need them because I can't seem to find that part number on the National site http://aftermarket.federalmogul.com...&SubCategoryId=176&ProductId=452#.VC9sZRZ0Z7T

Lets just confirm what we have on these. Never wanted to tear an axle apart so bad before.

:tigger:

USMC 00-08

That looks like what I am looking for. If time and weather allow, I am going to tear into an axle tomorrow. If I can find the right stuff, I will add the parts to our part list. There are a lot of part numbers on the G749 Crossover Sheet now and I have had to use it several times already. It has saved me a lot of time.

After I confirm some numbers on the seals, I'll send you an updated copy of the list. I think you will be pleased with the progress.

USMC 00-08

Got some work done on the truck but not as much as I would have liked. I had a late start since I had to go buy a jack and stands. Everything is coming off of the front axle nicely and it looks like the wheel cylinders are able to be rebuilt and have no pitting. The brake adjusters were not locked up and the shoes appear to have a lot of life in them.
1004141702.jpg

I'll try to get some of the numbers off of the seals tomorrow to compare with yours Plowboy.

USMC 00-08

I'm almost absolutely for surely positive that maybe with a chance and the opportunity this seal is it.
The number I have off of that seal is Victor 49961-M on one side and National 2280659. National's latest number was 6592S. They said they stopped making that seal years ago, so as of yet, I have not found a current replacement number....if anyone still makes the outer hub seal.

For the inner hub seal, I bought National 6584S and it is a perfect match for the originals that were in there. National 370018A looks like it could work as well.

The axle nut locking tab washer is E-2461 at Bumper to Bumper and O'Reilly's and the axle flange gasket is Fel-Pro 12645. Are the flange gaskets on the back axles the same as the front? I have not got to those yet. Here is a scanned copy of the flange gasket if anyone needs a template.
View attachment G749 Axle Flange Gasket.pdf
The wheel cylinders have been honed and I am waiting on the cups and boots to come in from NAPA. The pictures and dimensions of both match what came out of the wheel cylinders. If they turn out to be right, I will tell everyone those part numbers as well.

All of these part numbers have been added to the part list. There is so much stuff on there now that I think we will be ready to put it in a sticky soon.

USMC 00-08

Two more M135s

The work continues on my M135. I had the brake shoes relined locally and am waiting on wheel cylinder boots to come in so that I can put everything back together.

I the mean time. I found two more M135s that were about to be scrapped and added them to my collection. Here they are....
IMG_2154.jpgIMG_2916.jpgIMG_3331.jpgIMG953591.jpgIMG956204.jpgIMG959255.jpgIMG959715.jpg

They will be used as a parts source for my other two since I don't think they are restorable. As soon as I get a replacement for my camera that just quit, I will post more pictures.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow S/N 556! Is the USA number 41121215? Hard to see in the pics. That is an EARLY truck. Maybe 20 days into production.

USMC 00-08

I believe that 41121215 is correct. This truck also has the early tailgate intact. I wish 556 was in better shape. Both were driven to where they sit 15 years ago and left to deteriorate.

Sorry the pics aren't the greatest. My camera quit working and these are cell phone pics. When I get the trucks pulled out of the trees and replace the camera, I'll get some better ones.

USMC 00-08

The front brakes are back together and working great as of today. I capped off the rear lines until I can redo the brakes on the back axles. Still stops great though

Here are some part numbers for 1-1/2" bore wheel cylinders. Boots-NAPA 14509. Cups-NAPA 14451.

I did manage to get most of the trees cut out of the way of the two newly acquired M135s on Thursday and hope to get them pulled out soon. It has been a busy week.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks