• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-004A now only produces power with start/run switch held in start.

captain

The last time I ran my mep-004a last summer it ran fine. This spring I converted it to single phase following the instructions in sewerzuk's thread. I gave it a test run today. Starts up fine and volts/hertz come up right away. As soon as you let go of the run/start switch though the voltage/hertz drop off. The convenience outlet shows the same readings at the gauges. If you hold the run/start switch in run it out puts power with the correct volts and hertz. Engine runs fine. I checked the conversion a number of times and it looks correct. I will list what I did just incase I didn't read the conversion thread correctly. Cut the buss bar so only N t10 and t11 are tied. Jumper t12 to t2. Move X8HH16B from t8 to t11. Move X8A16B from t8 to t3. Move X12EG16N from t12 to t13. I also removed the jumper from L0 that connect to the ground lug. It looks like X13BN but was hard to read. Thanks

captain

According to the -34 and some threads I finally found on smokstak it sounds like the problem is in that voltage regulator box. How do you get the cover off that thing? There is no room to get to the screws on the side and there is not enough clearance to get a socket on the bolts holding the box down. If I find something in the box cooked should I be worried there is a problem with the gen? It already has what I assume to be a "new" voltage regulator box on it as it reads "good 30kw" in chalk and my gen is obviously a 15kw.

captain

I got the box out. Not in a fashion I would prefer. The internals look good though. Nothing is smoked. Capacitors look good. None are bulged or leaking. I am again at a loss.

R Racing

According to the -34 and some threads I finally found on smokstak it sounds like the problem is in that voltage regulator box. How do you get the cover off that thing? There is no room to get to the screws on the side and there is not enough clearance to get a socket on the bolts holding the box down. If I find something in the box cooked should I be worried there is a problem with the gen? It already has what I assume to be a "new" voltage regulator box on it as it reads "good 30kw" in chalk and my gen is obviously a 15kw.
From what I remember the 30k and 15k share a lot of parts.

captain

It has always had the unit listed as 30k and ran fine with it. I just don't know why all of a sudden it will no longer produce power unless the switch is held in start.

captain

Removing ground from L0 should not have had any effect like this correct? I cant read the little diagrams in the manual that well. They are very small and blurry. From what I can tell though everything looks correct as far as the 3-1 phase mod and VR box.

captain

I put the gen back to 3 phase. All the wires were correct for the single phase mod. The only wire I did not move was x12eg16n as in 3 phase t12 and t11 are electrically the same. It works in 3 phase. So where is the issue? Did someone previously wire something on the reconnection board to the wrong spot where it works in 3 phase but not 1? The only other thing I can think of is that in single phase I disconnected the ground wire from neutral. Does the generator require ground to be bonded to neutral to work? If so then I can not exercise the generator in single phase without it hooked up to the house as I need neutral and ground unbounded at the gen for use with the house.

Brucelee

Did you figure out the problem
I just reconfigured my mep004a to single phase
Same thing is happening to me but it was also happening before intermittingly

Guyfang

Staff member
Agreed. The volt reg. is in the Static Excitor box. The gentleman above who found it hard to get out must have been using one inch impact tools. 1/4 inch ratchet set is about the only thing you need to work on this set. In any case, this is an Excitor problem. Normally, if T1 in the Excitor box is not burnt, it the regulator.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks