• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie with question about brakes on M1102

7081M1102

Just bought my trailer. M1102. Went pretty smooth for first auction. Paid $540 + fees. Wasn't aware you had to pay an additional $60 for blue title. Ordered that. Trailer is in great condition. Tires look good!

Question? The brake that is used if the trailer becomes disconnected (not sure name) is frozen? I tried to move it and nothing. There is fluid in it. I sprayed WD40 around it (there are some springs I see) and still nothing. Ideas?

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you talking about the little break-away chain thingy? Or the two parking brake handles on the front corners? I'll guess the former. When it is pulled, there is a cam action, that applies pressure to the master cylinder linkage, that makes it apply hydraulic pressure to the wheel cylinders. Sometimes these trailers have sat for years, without use, or service. The master cylinder often has water contamination, and needs overhaul. MV's use DOT 5 ONLY, brake fluid! I have had a couple of them, and do a complete service, including the wheel cylinders & bearing re-pack. Then you can be confident. Croft Trailer has surge brake stuff.

7081M1102

Are you talking about the little break-away chain thingy? Or the two parking brake handles on the front corners? I'll guess the former. When it is pulled, there is a cam action, that applies pressure to the master cylinder linkage, that makes it apply hydraulic pressure to the wheel cylinders. Sometimes these trailers have sat for years, without use, or service. The master cylinder often has water contamination, and needs overhaul. MV's use DOT 5 ONLY, brake fluid! I have had a couple of them, and do a complete service, including the wheel cylinders & bearing re-pack. Then you can be confident. Croft Trailer has surge brake stuff.
Break away chain.

Should I remove the fluid and put new and see if that helps or?

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If things are frozen up because of water contamination, just changing the fluid, won't help. Remove & re-build/replace, the master cylinder, then re-fill with DOT 5. Its not too much of a job. If you find water/rust/gunk, blow out the lines by disconnecting them at the wheel cylinders. I would catch the fluid - if its clean, maybe skip the wheel cylinders (I would repack the wheel bearings), but then work the system by hand, to insure that you have brakes. That is a superb trailer, with all the engineering that went into it. The brakes are a very important part. If you get everything working now, she will be ready to go providing dependable service, for a long time.

7081M1102

If things are frozen up because of water contamination, just changing the fluid, won't help. Remove & re-build/replace, the master cylinder, then re-fill with DOT 5. Its not too much of a job. If you find water/rust/gunk, blow out the lines by disconnecting them at the wheel cylinders. I would catch the fluid - if its clean, maybe skip the wheel cylinders (I would repack the wheel bearings), but then work the system by hand, to insure that you have brakes. That is a superb trailer, with all the engineering that went into it. The brakes are a very important part. If you get everything working now, she will be ready to go providing dependable service, for a long time.
Where do I buy a replacement?

7081M1102

Where to buy a master cylinder? M1102 trailer

The surge lever is frozen. I can't get it to move. Where do I buy a replacement. Rebuilding isn't an option.

Thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks