• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NHC250 Air compressor replacement

So the air compressor on my m931 is barely pumping air. I tried replacing the head gasket on compressor and didn't make a difference. So now I'm planning to swap the compressor off my m925a1 with a blown motor onto the m931.

I have been looking through the tm's and haven't had any luck finding how to remove the compressor. Anyone have the procedure to remove and reinstall the compressor.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1st, you should see if there is a leak you can't hear. Pressurise the system with the engine not running and see if it leaks. if no leaks, next put air into the system through the discharge line and see if it airs fast, if not, you could have an obstruction. Does the truck have an air dryer? if so, bypass it and see if that makes a difference. The governor could be an issue also, kinda rare though. Remove the discharge line from the comp and hold a piece of paper in front of the fitting, throttle the engine and see if there is a mess of oil sprayed onto he paper. If not, the compressor itself is good, not pumping oil. Your issue is most likely the unloader in the compressor head. Much easier to repair than replace the complete compressor. It takes like an hour to fix it.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Replaced mine on the NHC250. TM is 9-2320-272-24-2 Starts on page 898 (4-31). Compressor replacement number is a 3018543X. Can be found on ebay as well. Truckpro had mine. Always replace the plastic spider gear on the injection pump side Cummins # 3046200. I do a lot more crap than I probably need to. I have bad ADHD.

https://youtu.be/rbhtKXIgDzI

Last edited:

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice video thanks! I do have a question about the output hose on the compressor, is it going to be able to take the heat form the compressor? I know on my trucks the copper output line gets very hot when the compressor is running.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Nice video thanks! I do have a question about the output hose on the compressor, is it going to be able to take the heat form the compressor? I know on my trucks the copper output line gets very hot when the compressor is running.
293-6 parker line is rated to 302 degrees. I havent checked the temps yet but i dont think it gets that hot

Also after the copper line it goes into cotton jacket line before the hard plastic line
Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
154 degrees at Idle all the way to max pressure after warm up. 187 max temp at 1600rpms for 2mins continuous. This high temp may drop due to air intake at highway speed though since it does draw its supply air from the intake. This is at the fitting on the compressor.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Thanks! that is good to know you can use that type of hose.

Like at the end of my video. All my brake chamber hoses are #6s or #8s as well along with some other lines on the truck. so if something does fail that is vital you can always remove a hose from somewhere else and add it in. I am not fond of that plastic air line crap, but I did replace mine from the front to the air dryer blow valve just cause at 10ft it would have been pricey for hydraulic @ 3/8" hose.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Will bump this with a little parts information and update video on that pesky backside bolt.

Stock unit at 13.2cfm part # 3018543X
Upgraded unit Truflow 550 2 cylinder compressor is 107506x.

They are both around the same price

https://youtu.be/j945HrW9IC8

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fuel lines can be an issue if going the twin cylinder compressor, the pump is pushed back an inch or so and the bottom support is different due to the pump being back farther. Navistar used the Bendix Truflow for a long time, so, if you went that way, and could find a corn binder in a junk yard, the pieces parts could be got pretty cheap.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks