• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hand cranking a dodge

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes. Flip on the ignition, slowly crank unti you have the handle at 1:00 against compression, then give it all you got pushing down on the handle. If she wants to, it will spring to life. You don't crank it around and around, that will not do the trick.

Bill W

Yes I did it to my M-37 a couple of times ( before I added the winch ) it was easier than I had thought it would be., However back then I had it timed to 2 degrees ATDC. ( less chance of kickback )

FrankUSMC

The same as Bill, I had a M37 that I loved to hand crank. I would drive it to the PX, and hand crank it when I went to leave. They start very easy after they have been driven, kinda like cheating, but was fun.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

AMGeneral

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes. Flip on the ignition, slowly crank unti you have the handle at 1:00 against compression, then give it all you got pushing down on the handle. If she wants to, it will spring to life. You don't crank it around and around, that will not do the trick.
When hand cranking old tractors, I was always taught to pull up on compression to start it. The thinking is that if it kicks back it will just slip out of your hand. Seems like a good way to break your wrist pushing down to start if it kicks back.

Big Tom

I had two 1947 dodge trucks with the same 6 cycmotors in the and hand crank them many times if all is in order they will fire right up , as other have said pull up don’t push down .also be shure the end of the crank and the jaws on the crankshaft nut are clean of rust and dirt give them a light oiling it we help make the crank handle come free and slide out when it fires up.

Big Tom

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whe young I was taught to hand crank out Model A John Deer, it was 6 volt and always very weak, it hand cranked just fine! We always had airplanes growing up and not one had a starter so I also learned to prop a plane at an early age. I spotted that hole in the front of one of my M37 years ago and never searched very hard for a crank so I never tried it.
Karl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks