• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV High Speed Gears

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
image.jpgI figured I would pass this on since at this point I am 99% sure this is going to work. The stock FMTVs are 3.90 ratio at the differential and 2:1 at the wheel end. As we now know, this results in a truck that struggles with 55 mph. The solution is 3.07 ratio differentials available at Premier Metal Buyers in Brenham, TX. These are from the first gen Caiman MRAPs with the FMTV drive train, supposedly capable of 65 mph. The Meritor part number is A6 3200W1869 on the front and rear differential. They are selling a front and rear-rear (complete) MRAP axle pair for $800. Since I did not need the entire axle, I braved the 95 degree heat and removed the pumpkins myself on premise and left the rest for the torch. It will be many months before I have time to install them, but by then they will be gone, so do your due diligence and double check my application research and buy a pair if you are looking for better speed with reduced RPMs.

Last edited:

ke5eua

NDT, when I was there the guy seemed like they were going to continue the contract and get more. Looking at the place though and the only thing selling was the tires I'm not so sure of that now.

Anyway, I will be in the area this weekend and might have some room on the truck to bring stuff back this way to Baton Rouge area.

I do still have 4 tires stacked on the back deck but where there is a will there is a way, lol

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gears are like new, less than a few hundred miles. The axles themselves were removed scrapyard style using a torch and forklift.

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Understandable, but how readily available were the axles 5 months ago.

My understanding, this thread is more about the availability of the axles with the gears rather than covering ratio's.
I have been buying the meritor LMTV axles for 14 years. I have taken loads of them from your state.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can anyone elaborate on some of these Caimans having hydraulic front brakes? Is this an FMTV A1 thing with ABS? You can see the wheel cylinder pointing forward in this picture taken by Texas30cal. Also notice the unusual rear tandem suspension. Is this the same as MTV? The rear-rear axle is very different than LMTV.

Attachments

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can anyone elaborate on some of these Caimans having hydraulic front brakes? Is this an FMTV A1 thing with ABS? You can see the wheel cylinder pointing forward in this picture taken by Texas30cal. Also notice the unusual rear tandem suspension. Is this the same as MTV? The rear-rear axle is very different than LMTV.
That looks like a wedge brake spreader (don't know the correct term) and the hose is the ctis as you can see a hollow wheel stud.

Just my Holiday inn perspective as I have not seen one in person.

auctionaddict

I am sitting in premiers driveway waiting on them to open tomorrow. Dang it is hot in TX !!
Gonna get me some of those axles. Should have them installed soon. I will let you know how it goes...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks