• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV High Speed Gears

AZperformance

??? not sure that has been asked. What do you mean by swapped? as in can they be removed and replaced with in the chunk? Or do you mean they can be swapped between front and rear axle chunks?
I mean to say, can the high speed ring gear be inserted into the stock chuck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FYI- Steve 6x6x6 just offered up a set of gears that can be delivered to the Georgia rally this week (needs to know by today!) @$1550 for BOTH front and rear chunks and @$2,000 for all three for a 6x6 MTV. If your not going-find a friend who is and buy these!
I do not have these anymore, they did not last 5 minutes. I would like to slap the idiot that started this "high speed gear" slang. It is RF-611 with 3.07 ratio.

hokanson86

Wheelspinner

Are those gears for the 6x6 still available do you know? Never mind I saw that they are gone but dont know how to delete my post.

Last edited:

Hodor

Did we ever determine if a ring and pinion can be swapped in the original chuck? I have a contact at a gear manufacture that is willing to make custom sets..
Any updates on this information? Custom sets can be pricey but machine shops can be all over the place as well. I'm very interested to hear if this a feasible possibility.

coachgeo

Any updates on this information? Custom sets can be pricey but machine shops can be all over the place as well. I'm very interested to hear if this a feasible possibility.
Yes the third can be disassembled and new R&P installed.

Note.. there is a difference in part #'s noted in here somewhere for the Power Divider's R&P. Don't recall of top of my head if it was the ring or pinion that is different

AZperformance

I spoke to Several gear manufacturers at SEMA most of them can make a small production run of the ring in pinons. Problem is I have not found an available Set to clone.. yet

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why would anybody want to have gearsets made or install takeouts when brand new Meritor gearsets can be installed by MTP Drivetrain for $1750 per axle?

1951M1078

Why would anybody want to have gearsets made or install takeouts when brand new Meritor gearsets can be installed by MTP Drivetrain for $1750 per axle?
Is their some one,by name I should talk with about this work at MTP ? Thanks

Hodor

Custom gears = better ratios = better mpg
Custom tcase 1st gear = factory low range capabilities = best of both worlds, no?

coachgeo

made gearsets would be for a ratio determined to be better than the 3.07 which are better than the OEM but not really very close to ideal (so the math says according to previous threads in here). Also for some..... the cost of driving to MTP, and in particular the loss of wages during that time your away, etc. .... exceeds the cost of buying a new third and having it shipped for local install.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
made gearsets would be for a ratio determined to be better than the 3.07 which are better than the OEM but not really very close to ideal (so the math says according to previous threads in here). Also for some..... the cost of driving to MTP, and in particular the loss of wages during that time your away, etc. .... exceeds the cost of buying a new third and having it shipped for local install.
I thought the consensus was 3.07 IS ideal? How much faster than 65 do you want to cruise?

The deal at MTP is you ship them your chunks ($150) and they ship them back all 3.07ed up. If you let them do the chunk pulling, the price goes up. Joe is POC at MTP.

1951M1078

Thanks for the name. NDT

The faster thing will be limited to the tires ! My tires are 2003's and I will not push them faster than 45mph. But that is just me.

I thought the consensus was 3.07 IS ideal? How much faster than 65 do you want to cruise?

The deal at MTP is you ship them your chunks ($150) and they ship them back all 3.07ed up. If you let them do the chunk pulling, the price goes up. Joe is POC at MTP.

coachgeo

I thought the consensus was 3.07 IS ideal? How much faster than 65 do you want to cruise? .... Joe is POC at MTP.
MTP sounds like a fair deal. By time you ship twice each pig its about same cost as the ones that just came available. As to different gears... as the 3.07 sources are drying up...... and that pushes folk into getting ones made..... might as well make ones more ideal. as to why not 3.07?? it is nothing to do with speed. It is putting the engine best into its powerband for most efficient use and longevity of the engine. Forget what was calculated in here to be a closer match to the engine(s). My sucky memory says it was something around 2.90?? though I would worry that if you got down into ideal for power band at highway speeds...... you would loose offroad ability. Was that discussion further back in this thread or another?

Last edited:

AZperformance

That’s a decent price..
The main reason would be Convenience. If you live in the north it’s a huge pain in the keister to get your truck to Louisiana.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
You take the pumpkins out and freight them on a pallet to MTP they do the swap and then you freight them back and install them. Would be easier if you can get the gear set and have a local shop do the entire swap though.

Ohiobenz

Supporting Vendor
Mostly here.... ARMY TM 9-2320-365-20-3 FRONT AND REAR AXLE MAINTENANCE PAGE 10-1

Some good info here as well.... ARMY TM 9-2320-365-34-2 FRONT AXLE MAINTENANCE PAGE 9-1 and REAR AXLE MAINTENANCE 10-1
Can you provide a link. I looked in the SS FMTV 2.5T TM section and did not see these.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks