• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV High Speed Gears

GFD200

Had a chance yet? I just picked up a 1998 model m1078 and we would really like to squeeze highway speed out of it. It's not even worth turning the lights and siren on at 55-58mph.

Anyone know if Premier has any left? How hard was it to haul them? Do I need a mechanically inclined person and tools to go with me?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had a chance yet? I just picked up a 1998 model m1078 and we would really like to squeeze highway speed out of it. It's not even worth turning the lights and siren on at 55-58mph.

Anyone know if Premier has any left? How hard was it to haul them? Do I need a mechanically inclined person and tools to go with me?
It depends. If you get the entire axle, you do not need a mechanically inclined person, only a truck/trailer that can carry axles that weigh a ton each. If you pull the chunk/pumpkin/differential, you will need basic metric tools and the ability to toil for hours in the 98 degree sun. Call them direct for availability.979-830-9060.

auctionaddict

I started on mine and have finished the rear then got sidetracked !!
It went together very smooth !!

The hardest part was the lug nuts !! Buy one of these, there worth the $$, You can break loose any lug nut with ease ! This thing with just a small hand crank breaks loose nuts I couldn't bust loose with a 12ft breaker bar !!

You can see the thickness of the ring gear is very different.

hs.jpghs1.jpghs2.jpghs3.jpghs4.jpghs5.jpg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Holy cow I had no clue you could pull the axle shaft like you pictured! I guess that is rear only? I am very apprehensive with working on those wheel end pinion gears. That system is SO UNUSUAL (to me anyway), I am used to wheel end planetaries.

auctionaddict

The rear is super easy ! You don't even have to remove the wheels !! Just take the big nut off the hub, slide the axles out a few inches (end is threaded so you can screw a bolt in to grab ahold of) and remove driveshaft and diff bolts.. Chunk comes right out..

Start to finish was 2 hours. The front will be a different story !! Now I cant move her till I change out the front !

Holy cow I had no clue you could pull the axle shaft like you pictured! I guess that is rear only? I am very apprehensive with working on those wheel end pinion gears. That system is SO UNUSUAL (to me anyway), I am used to wheel end planetaries.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sweet! What is the trick to get the wheel bearing nut torqued properly, just the usual "tighten until it binds and then back off"? It seems like the torque on the nut directly influences the gear contact on the wheel end spider gears. Also, the knuckle is dry, correct? Saves time there.

auctionaddict

Sweet! What is the trick to get the wheel bearing nut torqued properly, just the usual "tighten until it binds and then back off"? It seems like the torque on the nut directly influences the gear contact on the wheel end spider gears. Also, the knuckle is dry, correct? Saves time there.
Basically yes.. I marked the location of the nut before removal and both went right back into the same spot, But I went alittle further just to see and it did bind, so I backed it off to where it was.

Yes the knuckle is dry..

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I started on mine and have finished the rear then got sidetracked !!
It went together very smooth !!

The hardest part was the lug nuts !! Buy one of these, there worth the $$, You can break loose any lug nut with ease ! This thing with just a small hand crank breaks loose nuts I couldn't bust loose with a 12ft breaker bar !!

You can see the thickness of the ring gear is very different.

View attachment 509585
With seeing that you can pull the rear axle means that the rear driveshaft does not need to be pulled to do a lift tow. A lot faster this way, pull the axles, replace the plug and be on your way, what size is the hub axle plug ????

auctionaddict

With seeing that you can pull the rear axle means that the rear driveshaft does not need to be pulled to do a lift tow. A lot faster this way, pull the axles, replace the plug and be on your way, what size is the hub axle plug ????
You are right !! very easy to do.. The size was a monster adjustable wrench, no sockets that big in my toolbox !! :mrgreen:

auctionaddict

OK, I just returned from a 50 mile test drive, What a difference !!!
Top speed was raised from 60ish to 75 ! (downhill)
Normal cruising speed is now 60-65 without my foot on the floor ! Can maintain 70 at WOT
Feels the same from a dead stop.
Speedo is WAY off !! (15mph at 65)
Keep in mind, My truck is a 1079 and a lot heavier than the 1078s

Both chunks were from rear mrap axles..

mph.jpgThe max speed on the display was NOT my LMTV !!

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You said it feels the same from a dead stop, so acceleration is pretty much the same? How does it do when it start pulling a hill, does it downshift more? Even if it does downshift, with the change in gearing maybe it evens out?

wehring

Regear

Howdy Folks,

Been a long time since I logged in... been working on skunkworks. ;o) I signed in to pass along some info on my regear and found out that I had been beaten to the punch line! Good info and work to you guys for running this down.

My info is a "ditto" for what has already been added here. 60 became 75mph and my speedo is also WAY off. I have the C7 Cat and I notice little difference on take off. It likes to run between 60-70; sweet spot.

One thing I can add that has not been posted is that I just drove to Centramatic to drop off an engineering model (wheel cut in half and a drum). They are going to see about making some wheel balancers for me. I run Equal in all of my other trucks but the CTIS works in this one so I am keeping it. Thus the need for an external balancer. More info to follow.

Also, I took advantage of the truck being on a rack to learn a lot about it. there IS a battery disconnect but it is under the battery box where you cant see it unless you are under there.

Got the truck back just in time to make a bonfire this weekend. Who says Dominoes will not deliver to a pasture!!!???

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

Justin

Attachments

Last edited:

Terrh

Anyone that's done that swap, can you verify that these trucks do or do not have locking differentials in them?

Also, do the caiman axles have lockers?

63foxtrot

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think is great you guys want to keep up with traffic. Please check the condition of your tires, and rating before hitting the road. This is not my blow out. just a reminder what can, and will happen.088.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks