• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV High Speed Gears

No and NO there both open diffs..
Is there perhaps a variant of the LMTV that does have locking diffs? I've been researching this but I keep coming up with conflicting information. In particular I have found several places claiming that the LMTV's have "Full-time All-wheel Drive and Integral transfer case with locking interaxle differential".

Yeah, I saw where that was said, before I posted. However, since I've seen conflicting information, I was hoping that someone else might shed some light to show that the prototype locker wasn't the only option.

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Detroit locker PN # 225-S-92, for all LMTV.
OK the rest of the story. These DT. lockers were obsoleted in 2002. I have talked to Brent, (we go way back into the 1990's) he is the Engineer inside Eaton. I have looked into another option for a locker but it to was obsoleted to in 2002. 11 million dollars of Trac-tech's inventory in 2006 was scrapped when they were bought out, the very items we are looking for. I am working on a heavy duty locker for the LMTV that will require machine work to the carrier for it to fit. The (4) pin size would be changed from 3/4" to 7/8". I would need your carrier in exchange, i have some to get started.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was basically a wash for me. 6.5 before and after
I'll never understand why a modern turbocharged/intercooled empty 17,000 lb diesel truck gets the same or worse fuel economy as a loaded 80,000 lb class 8 big rig.

Terrh

Underpowered.
okay, but my 7.3 truck with 15klb behind it is just as underpowered, weighs more, has worse aero and gets more than double the MPG.

I'll never understand why a modern turbocharged/intercooled empty 17,000 lb diesel truck gets the same or worse fuel economy as a loaded 80,000 lb class 8 big rig.

I think there a bunch of factors, this has bugged me a lot too. I have gotten 11 MPG in my freightliner grossing about 60,000lb. (proof) http://i.imgur.com/5hbLRlh.jpg

One of the biggest factors has to be gearing - my freightliner spins 1300rpm at 55mph.

Full time AWD can't be helping either, and I suspect that those CAT engines are just fuel pigs by design.

It would be interesting to find one with a bad engine and do a 5.9 swap and see what the MPG does.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks