• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV High Speed Gears

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You want a FMTV to drive on the interstate at 75mph? That’s not what they’re for. Think about the planetaries; the tires exploding; the fuel consumption.
From my perspective these things are for bad road camping vehicles or whatever. 60mph on the highway is more than fast enough. Yeah fast gearing is great to get rpms down. Especially since the bolt on Marmon Herrington MVG-1150 transfer case has an unfortunate high range ratio of 1.09.
With the 3.07:1 gears it will only do 72MPH, but it's fine doing that, if you have the Goodyear tires. 60MPH is at high RPM in the 6th gear, so you don't want to do that any more than you want to run at 72MPH, really. I find that 65MPH is a really nice cruising speed, low into the 7th gear RPM (it switches up to 7th at 60-62MPH). The planetaries are fine at all these speeds.

If you're going to be driving at max speed, for whichever gears you have, make sure your driveshafts are balanced.

Mavcaster

Ugh, read the whole thread to get a better understanding of the swap and this book had a terrible ending. Looks like I’m a few years late on this…guess I’ll start looking for shop that can install an R&P.

Schmirgel

Hello everyone,

this thread is older - but it's about a topic that interests me too. We would also like to convert our M1078 4x4 to 3.07 differentials. Is there anyone in Germany or the surrounding area who offers this as a workshop?

Xengineguy

Supporting Vendor
Hello everyone,

this thread is older - but it's about a topic that interests me too. We would also like to convert our M1078 4x4 to 3.07 differentials. Is there anyone in Germany or the surrounding area who offers this as a workshop?
Hi Schmirgel, I don’t know if you know about Eco Hubs. They replace the 2:1 gear reduction units with direct drive. I’m going to be listing Eco Hubs for sale on a popular auction site . That site I’m told has very good rates on international shipping.
The listing will be for one axle, so if you have a 4x4 you will need to make two separate purchases. ( They have a 2500.00 dollar limit
for over sea’s per purchase) Eco Hubs are very easy to install and work much better than 3:07 gears. Cheeper too!
PM me with any questions.

Schmirgel

Hi Schmirgel, I don’t know if you know about Eco Hubs. They replace the 2:1 gear reduction units with direct drive. I’m going to be listing Eco Hubs for sale on a popular auction site . That site I’m told has very good rates on international shipping.
The listing will be for one axle, so if you have a 4x4 you will need to make two separate purchases. ( They have a 2500.00 dollar limit
for over sea’s per purchase) Eco Hubs are very easy to install and work much better than 3:07 gears. Cheeper too!
PM me with any questions.
Hi Xengineguy,

I somehow can't start a private conversation right now - you are welcome to try with me.
I don't know the ECO Hub yet - please send me more information :)

Greets

Berend

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I somehow can't start a private conversation right now - you are welcome to try with me.
Do you also install the differentials? And is it just the gears or the whole differentials?

Greets
Do you also install the differentials? And is it just the gears or the whole differentials?

Greets
It’s new complete diffs, install is possible. Just send you a PM

coachgeo

You need a certain number of posts in this forum before you can initiate direct messaging. Cuts down on spammers who creat accounts immediately having access to the entire member list…
@Schmirgel think it is only 5 post though. (same for posting pics or links) You may be there now though

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks