• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The '07 Ga./Southern Rally-details/signup here

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
BFR said:
FWIW guys I am working on a site for primitive camping that will be within a couple of miles of the pavillions...
This sounds appealing. I spoke with JW4x4 yesterday on the horn. He might even be interested in coming down from OH. If I can con him into coming I'll have him bring GP Medium #1 and we can set that up. I'm giving this some serious thought.

rmgill

Ok, if I come up, it'll be in the ferret. That'll be a drive on the regular roads too. Hmm, might be able to do Ga 400 up, but that's like a 2 hour drive at least. Probably doable with a lot of PM. Anyone want to come with on the ride up in the turret?

mangus580

rmgill said:
Ok, if I come up, it'll be in the ferret. That'll be a drive on the regular roads too. Hmm, might be able to do Ga 400 up, but that's like a 2 hour drive at least. Probably doable with a lot of PM. Anyone want to come with on the ride up in the turret?
I might have to fly in for that one!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
OK guys, here is some updated info:

First off, I have had some questions about lodging and campsites. Participants at the Ga. Rally are responsible for organizing their own accommodations. Unicoi State Park does not offer large, communal campsites that would allow all of us to stay together and when combined with the dual issues of some folks wanting a campsite, some wanting a place for a camper with hookups, some wanting a cottage, some wanting a hotel room in town plus all of the issues with last minute reservations & cancellations, I felt it was impossible to organize a way in which we'd all be together.

If you go to the websites for Unicoi State Park and/or Helen, Ga that are in the first post in this thread, you will find all the info about all the options available to you for lodging. I highly suggest going ahead and reserving your space, be it a campsite, a cottage, hotel room, etc., NOW, because the General Manager of the park told me Saturday that they are filling up and will continue to do so.

Ok, as I said before, we are going to have an early morning breakfast at a Cracker Barrel. If anyone wants to join us, we will be there between 0630 and 0700. The Cracker Barrel is right off of I-85 at Braselton. Address:

Cracker Barrel
I-85 , Exit# 129
I-85 & Highway 53
301 Exchange Way
Braselton, GA 30517-3529
Located at I-85 & Highway 53
Bus & RV Parking Available
(706) 658-0009

I would estimate a departure time from Cracker Barrel between 0730 and 0800.

There is a Pilot Truck Stop across from the Cracker Barrel for anyone who needs to fuel up before going to Unicoi.

From there, we will be take Hwy. 53 West to I-985 North to Hwy. 129, then turning left and heading to Unicoi. See map at this link:

http://shortlinks.net/pzn863

We should have a nice little convoy of at least 4 MV's from just us alone, so if you want to join, come on up.

I figure that we should be at Unicoi by 0900. We can get our chairs and grilles set up and shoot the breeze for a few hours. Then, lunch around 1130 or so, then go out and have some trailride fun.

Then, in the afternoon, back for dinner, goof off, etc.

Again, the trailride is optional. You don't have to bring your vehicle of you don't want to.

For those who are coming straight to the park, here is a map:

http://shortlinks.net/olv724

If you have any questions or need assistance with logistics, please feel free to PM me.

Thanks!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was just looking at the map. Looks to be about 25 miles from Blairsville. My brother just built his getaway house in Blairsville. Hmmm!

Blythewoodjoe

Well, I just made my reservations for a 30' site with water and power. I assume that means I can pull my truck into the spot and sleep in the back. Yee, haw.

I am planning on driving up to Gaffney Friday night and leaving out from there the next morning. If any of the guys up that way want to hook up and convoy let me know. I figure I will leave Gaffney around 6:30 or 7:00 and get up there about the same time as you guys. I also had to reserve the spot for two nights so I got if for Friday night and Saturday night.

My inner tubes for the big tires just arrived so I am off to weld up another rim. Gotta get this truck road worthy.

Joe Trapp

devilman96

Kenny.... Convoy????

I just booked a double camp site... Pretty good deal, they fit two fourty foot vehicles with power and water at the site... There are 8 left at 44$ a night...

rmgill

Looking at the map, I am most likely to drive up Buford Highway all the way to Gainesville and from there up SR 129 to cleveland and then SR75 to Helen.

Anyone want to convoy up?

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ryan, if you are going up Buford Hwy, you could make a right turn onto Hwy. 53 and run 6 or 7 miles and meet us at Cracker Barrrel...................................................

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Wow, I am really thrilled to see all the interest so far...I think we're all going to have a great time! :beer:

I do have a big announcement:

OD Iron, LLC has offered to sponsor this event. I want to thank OD Iron for stepping up to the plate not only in helping to sponsor this Rally, but for all they do for both businesses and hobbyists in the HMV hobby.

For those who haven't been to their website, please take a moment to check it out:

https://www.odiron.com/store/

Due to OD Iron's generous sponsorship, the $3 per person cover charge has been waived...

That's all for now :beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks