Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: Members in/near Northern NJ: Want to start up a get together/ride

Thanks

I don't personally. If you search YouTube for Toys for Tots Train 2014you'll find several other rail fan videos of this train, some with the car names clearly displayed. A Google of those specific car names will likely return some info. Rail fans are big on that stuff.

Steve

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SteveKuhn For This Useful Post:

Another Ahab (12-08-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 22,266 Times in 7,690 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SteveKuhn View Post
    I don't personally. If you search YouTube for Toys for Tots Train 2014you'll find several other rail fan videos of this train, some with the car names clearly displayed. A Google of those specific car names will likely return some info. Rail fans are big on that stuff.

Steve
    There's a whole thread dedicated to 2014 Toys For Tots activities here on the SS Forums....
    http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthr...ts-2014-Events
    The above referenced video has been posted there.

Carry on!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to USAFSS-ColdWarrior For This Useful Post:

Another Ahab (12-08-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Another Ahab View Post
    That's great stuff!

Looks like some historic cars being pulled by that engine:

- all of them; the boxcar and the two passenger cars

Do you know anything about them?
    We're not using a boxcar this year. Besides the locomotive, our train consisted of 4 cars for 2014.

First is the MNJ 380, a caboose supplied by the Middletown & New Jersey Railroad. To my knowledge, that's part of the train just so that the public can be happy that they saw a caboose, but we're not really using it beyond that.

Second is the PRR 9286 baggage car. It was built in 1926 as a standard baggage car and rebuilt by the Pennsylvannia Railroad into an express-messenger-baggage car in 1964. It is owned by the United Railroad Historical Society of New Jersey, who have loaned it out for use on our train for both weekends this year. This is where we accept, count, and store the toys on each run. While we have used a boxcar from the M&E for this task in years past (and may again in the future), the baggage car is bigger, has better lighting, easier access, and most importantly allows us to be inside and working while the train is moving.

Our third car is the NYC 43. It is a tavern/lounge car that was built by Budd Company in 1947 and was owned and operated by New York Central, Penn Central, Conrail, and NJ Transit before retiring in 1987. Just like the PRR Baggage Car, it is now owned by URHS, who have restored it and loan it out to us for the Toys Train. We use this to haul most of the volunteers, and the tables at the tavern end of the car are well used by the volunteers for enjoying breakfast and lunch when we aren't working.

At the rear of our train this year is the NYC Hickory Creek. It was built in 1948 by Pullman and used as the tail end observation car on the 20th Century Limited for 20 years. It was sold to Ringling Brothers for their circus train in 1968, and eventually ended up in the URHS's collection as well. It has been wonderfully restored, and is actually certified to run at 110mph on Amtrak! Some of our volunteers ride the Hickory Creek from stop to stop during the day, and we've been setting up the crock pots with our hot lunches on one of the tables inside. The sleeping compartments are used by a few of the volunteers who actually stay on board the train overnight to keep an eye on things.

More information and photos on the URHS cars can be found on www.urhs.org. The 43 and the Hickory Creek are even available for private charter, although I personally have no idea how much something like that costs. In addition to providing the cars needed to make the Toys for Tots Train a success, the URHS also supplies many of the volunteers that work the train each day of our collection. We couldn't make this happen without them, or without the generous cooperation of the railroads involved.
    - 1984 M1009 (donated to the Military Order of the Purple Heart)
    - 1985 M1009 (donated to the Military Order of the Purple Heart)

- plus a pair of non-military GMC's

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jersey 93 Ty For This Useful Post:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior (12-10-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,158 Times in 5,954 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey 93 Ty View Post
    We're not using a boxcar this year. Besides the locomotive, our train consisted of 4 cars for 2014.

In addition to providing the cars needed to make the Toys for Tots Train a success, the URHS also supplies many of the volunteers that work the train each day of our collection. We couldn't make this happen without them, or without the generous cooperation of the railroads involved.
    Very cool; thank you. I figured there might be somebody train-savvy who would know these kinds of details, because years ago I knew a "train nut" (term for that?). and he would always know all these things (to a remarkable level of detail). I don't know the details myself but like to hear from those that do; thanks a million, Jersey!

Toys for Tots: it's a great tradition.
    M35A2 w/Winch SOLD

Thanks
    Thanked 22,266 Times in 7,690 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SteveKuhn View Post
    One screen shot that sums for some SSers and others this past weekend in NNJ:

• Bergen County Toys for Tots Train on Saturday
    • Pearl Harbor Rememberance at the USS Ling on Sunday

Attachment 531323

At 2:52 on this video:

A SEARCH of the SS Forums for mention of the USS LING brought me here. Sadly I pass along that not only is the USS LING suffering sever deterioration, but she was also recently FLOODED by an organized act of vandalism......

Here's the article:

Hackensack submarine USS Ling apparently flooded intentionally, memorial plaques stolen

https://www.northjersey.com/story/ne...len/989139002/

9. The Following User Says Thank You to USAFSS-ColdWarrior For This Useful Post:

art (08-20-2018)

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8