• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M353 MICLIC Trailer vismod build (rocket launcher)

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
A week ago I picked up a M353 3 1/2 ton trailer which happened to have a MK155 USMC MICLIC launcher bolted on to it. milic frailer 001.jpg milic frailer 005.jpg My first thoughts were to scrap the launcher and use the trailer for another heavy hauling device. After getting it home and talking to gbooth we decided that with his shop and my piles of surplus stuff that we should try and build a MICLIC. For you that don't remember he is the one that built a 105 gun out of a 105 trailer axle and stuff laying around the shopgregg.jpg http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?103222-Handbuilt-Towed-105mm-Gun&highlight= . A MICLIC uses a MK22 5" tractor rocket to launch a string of 1900 pounds of C4 out in front of you 300 yards to breech a mine field. Knowing that getting an inert M22 was out of my price range and that for some reason finding an empty M58 linear demo charge box is like finding hens teeth, we decided to make something that at least gave you the impression of the real thing. First was to make the charge box which since I just happen to have 10+ Nos M101 tail gates they would be the donor material for the box, A little tape measure work and a plasma cutter made quick work in getting parts for the box cut.
miclicbox 003.jpg We cut down 2 of the tailgates for the ends miclicbox 004 (2)crop.jpg and used 2 full size for the sides miclic finish 003.jpg since the trailer came with the vinyl charge cover we decided we really didn't need a floor in the box, but may make one out of plywood just to keep kids from climbing under it. Using tailgates the box is about two foot short but most folks won't know. We decided that since the M22 is a 122MM or 5" we would build it out of 4" PVC as you can't find fittings for 6" PVC so between Lowe's, HD and Napa for 2 transmission funnels I got enough parts to vis mod one up. Also since Gregg thought it needed some color it got a red nose, it is supposed to be grey blue in color but grey primer looks ok to us and the back blast ring color in a reddish brown so we used brown primer for it. miclic finish 010.jpg the tow cable came from an S280 shelter I picked up last year. miclic finish 011.jpg miclic finish 013.jpg

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Real one M58 MINE CLEARING LINE CHARGE.JPG the Beefco version miclic finish 015.jpg miclic finish 016.jpg miclic finish 009.jpg

If anyone knows where an empty M58 linear demo charge box is please let me know, there a supposed to be some in a scrap yard by Tulsa I have a picture of them but no address milic tubs.jpg

Last edited:

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dave,
Box looks familiar, let me check with my parts guy, he has a couple boxes in his storage yard that look similar. What is the dimensions?
JC

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Well I went into town this AM for a coffee and when I got home found an over 6' long cardboard tube in the driveway, that was mucho heavy. MK22real 001.jpg Thought I

would cut the duct tape off the ends and empty out the contents, turned out the plug on the end was held in place by 3/8" double nutted bolts, best packing job ever by

deuceman51
. It was too heavy for just me so called gbooth and soon we had an inert MK22 to load on the rail. MK22real 002.jpg MK22real 003.jpg

MK22real 005.jpg MK22real 004.jpg Still need to screw in the nozzles and do some touch up

painting. It came just in time as we are setting up this afternoon for fund raiser. http://www.wheelsnsqueelsbbq.com/

All I need now is is the correct empty charge container, oh and inert/training linear demo charge would be nice also!

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My older son, who is now (thankfully) a former Marine combat engineer, is beginning a restoration of one of these.
He had a complete inert rocket, I gave him a nearly complete, though not pretty, trailer for Christmas (yes, we are a weird family!).

He used these during two tours in Afghanistan and the Middle East, said they were great for launching down a street to clean out IEDs (and their hidden operators).

Cheers

Attachments

Artisan

We have been looking for MicLic parts as a few of you know.
After much to-do we received the box-O-parts last night.
One of the parts we wanted most was hydraulic lift cylinder
which I received. Today I was playing w/ it and I decided to
extend the cylinder and low and behold, what do I see
but a mfg's name and model number. Perhaps others
will benefit from my findings.

RAM-PAC
#RC-5-SA-7
5TONS

miclic-cylinder-0.jpg

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I am still looking for the real charge box, if anybody knows of some in the mid-west or can get one to the GA Rally please let me know.
milic tubs.jpg Got one!

Last edited:

Artisan

Gimp I am rebuilding this one, it is a Enerpac P-50
but for ships and giggles PM me details and price
for what you have if u have a minute please.

PM to Mules

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
MICLIC M58 box, SS Express Saga, Hustion, to KC DONE!!

I now have a linear demo charge box to go on my USMC MK155 MOD O launcher trailer. still looking for an inert linear charge is a bonus as is the cover (top).
M58 MINE CLEARING LINE CHARGE.JPG milic tubs.jpg M58 inert.jpg
UPDATE! 7/19/16
M813rc dropped it off this AM on his way to the east coast .
About 400lbs Box size 7' long, 4.5' wide, 2' tall

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I know of one in Houston. Is the box made of steel? This one is.

EDIT: is this it?

Attachments

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you need nozzles, Dave, I have an extra set.

I also know where a couple of those boxes are, if you don't get the ones above.

My son's as yet unrestored M200-based MICLIC trailer is complete except for that top Y-arm/launch rail bit. I may put him in touch with you when he gets home (he's training on Camp Pendleton currently - got bored with civilian life and went back to the Marines, but Reserve this time) so he can perhaps beg some dimensions to fab one up.

Cheers

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, went to look at the Houston MICLIC and although I know nothing about MICLICs, it was apparent this box is designed for explosives. I was just supposed to recon this for the OP, but like any good hoarder would, I went ahead and snagged it, "just in case". Since the box was sealed up with the lid on, it occurred to me that this might be the only non-inert MICLIC ever released by DOD and I was carrying it around on the freeways near downtown Houston, and the old, unstable explosive could blow at any time. Well fortunately as I am writing this, that did not happen.

Attachments

Artisan

I know a gal in SO Cal that has those for trade, she might trade for
Howitzer frame rail welded on small parts and the vertical armor,
and other small parts for said, / what do you have? There
is a pointed rod, like a croquet post, need those too, for display only.

Not interested in ANY-thing that goes boom thank u. NOTHING

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks