• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

71 m35a2 no start, no fuel

Ja1904

Been working on this all day, I replaced my motor today got in , and went to bleed the fuel lines to start it, I got fuel up to the HH to check that I pulled the bolt in the middle of the 6 injector on top of the hydraulic head turned on fuel pump good there, then cracked loose the injector lines at the top of each cylinder a small amount of fuel came out then nothing I don't know what to check next, any advice ? Or should I pull the hh and see if the button fell off on the bottom of the HH?

Thanks!

Ja1904

Ok I pulled the fuel shut off cover the arm look to be in the wrong spot put a little oil on it oil on it and moved it back and forth, it looks like it sits in the 6 o'clock possistion and then 4 o'clock when pulled off and it will now spring back to 6, I pulled off one injector line an cranked the motor it looked to be a small amount of fuel dribbled out and I mean small, then batterey died so now I for it charging, should know in the next few hours

Jeepsinker

spray a little bit of brake cleaner or carb cleaner or similar into the air filter housing and then spin it over. does the little shutoff arm under the cover move freely? Spray some cleaner in there and move it around some just for good measure.

Ja1904

Ok sprayed starting fluid and it fired off, ya!, had a high idle then gave little gas and the idle went high, where can I adjust the idle? Is it on the lever under the gas shut off rod?

Jeepsinker

If the lever is sticking, leave it alone until tomorrow, well later today now. Some of the more experienced guys on injector pumps will walk you through removing those fuel shutoff components and cleaning and then reassembly. If you get it wrong you can destroy the engine in a matter of seconds, so just be patient.

Ja1904

Ok, I just started it up it idled for about 5 min at 1300 rpm, I cant get it to idle lower, if I snap the gas peddle it just keeps climbing up and I have to kill the motor to keep it from red lining

Jeepsinker

I told you to leave it alone. Go get some sleep. One of the other guys will either post up some pics and info on how you fix it, or will post a link to a good thread where you will get what you need. NOW LEAVE IT ALONE BEFORE YOU BLOW THE DAM THING UP!

Reaper651

Listen to Jeepsinker!!!! I have recently been searching threads on multifuels that have runaway and the cutoff lever sticking is a known cause. So seriously, STOP running it until that problem gets fixed. And also have a way to plug the air intake incase it does decide to runaway and the kill handle fails to shut the engine down. I didn't do this the first time I started my truck and found out that was a big mistake.:shock::shock: Luckily, my truck ran just fine but many others have not been so lucky. On a better note, Congrats your new engine! Once this bug is fixed, she should run like a top.[thumbzup][thumbzup]

Jeepsinker

Ok now that I've gotten some sleep and all, I would suggest going up to the search bar in the top right side of the screen and type in something like "Deuce no start" or "Deuce no start, no fuel". That should lead you to the info you need quickly

Ja1904

I think the problem is in the fuel cut off lever it dose not go to the 7 o'clock spot, and it feels real loose when u move it back and forth and will not spring back, any advice? And I don't mean I need some one to tell me use the search button, I know what it is I just can find any thing that can help me yet I have spent hours looking, if u got good advice be glade to hear it
thanks!

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
6 oclock pisition is about the start pisition. Looks like there have been a rash of timming buttons falling off. Pull the Head as outhers said. Just wondering what are you running for fuel?

Last edited:

RAYZER

6 oclock pisition is about the start pisition. Looks like there have been a rash of timming buttons falling off. Pull the Head.
Ya, I just fixed one for someone where the button had fallen off.
The truck ran fine untill all of a sudden it wouldn't, i did the wooden Dowell in the center hole test and I had a little up and down motion but don't be fooled, if the button is off it can lay there in the bottom of the cavity and cause some movement but no fuel pressure to injectors, excessive cranking can cause damage to the button, clip and fuel compression rod, (you should have a small mirror for this entire process).
Be careful that the fuel shutoff shaft assembly is reinstalled properly, the little tit at the end of that shaft must be in the slot of the fuel shut off plate (square plate inside the head). When reinstalling the shaft assembly leave the govener rod off, position the shaft lever at about 3:30, slide the shaft in and get it seated, install the screws, then install the govener rod in the leaver hole,make sure the govener rod will freely pop back and foward and rest in the foward position(the assembly is spring loaded) don't forget the govener rod retainer clip.
Be sure to read the other threads on this subject (and tm) as to proper head removal (such as lined up gear marks), you should install new o rings while you have the head off and a new button retainer clip may be required.
Disclaimer: this is off the top of my head and I may not have all nomenclature of parts correct, no tm diagrams in hand.
Hope this helps.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea Ray you bring up a good point about the plunger still going up and down and being fooled. I thought about posting something like that that night so glad you did. THANK YOU RAY.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the problem is in the fuel cut off lever it dose not go to the 7 o'clock spot, and it feels real loose when u move it back and forth and will not spring back, any advice? And I don't mean I need some one to tell me use the search button, I know what it is I just can find any thing that can help me yet I have spent hours looking, if u got good advice be glade to hear it
thanks!
Since you don't want to hear "use the search" to find all the horror stories about runaway engines, The best advice I can give you is just start your truck and go for a ride and run it like you stole it.

We have never seen this problem before. Let us know your solution to the issue. We are curious to know.

Ja1904

I am running pump diesel never anything else, I have pulled out the hydraulic head before and reinstall the button on the bottom I got that job down pretty fast, my only issue is I think there is another problem because that linkage for the fuel cut off road is very loose and sloppy and wont spring back unlike my other motor and ones I've worked before, do you Think that it has to do with that Button falling off on the hydraulic head? I did not think it could cause that, And also I pulled the cover to the right of the hydraulic head which I think is the fuel compensator box And where that leakage goes from the fuel cut off underneath that cover to the right when you're looking at it, there is a fork that goes down over a shaft that fork is very sloppy and I inspected the one on the blown motor and it's very tight and has spring to it any input?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks