• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So, what's the one thing you'd change?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hypothetical question. You were given the reigns of the site and were allowed to make a change. What would your change be? Why would you make the change? How would the change be an improvement?

I'd just like to hear some feedback from everyone. First, this isn't a personal rant thread. So this isn't the place for it. Next, it's gotta be in accordance with the site rules. Lastly, it's got to be in the realm of possibility. (Sorry, there's simply no way I can make a magic button you can press to handle anything and everything.)

So, have at it folks!

Jeepsinker

If I were to make one change, I would create one section all by itself for political discussion. It would be limited to just that, political discussion. Any advocation of violence or the like would be grounds for banning. It would cut down on all the frustration and snide remarks in threads where they need not be, and would cut down on people breaking the no politics rule in threads where they shouldn't be and getting them banned and ruining the mood of the thread. If people don't want to discuss the politics they simply can not take part. Nobody would make them click on the politics section.

I'd like to use the search button and not the advance search all the time. There is a google search bar covering it always. Don't know if that's on my end or not?

I do want to thank you for building/helping build my favorite forum. This has the friendliest and most helpful members I've come across.

Brett

Artisan

I would make an M915 Truck Series* area.
The 5Ton area is overloaded as it is and the M915 Series stuff gets lost.
The M915 is a completely different animal too.
*M915 M916 M917 M918 M919 M920 A1 A2 A3 A4 A
(I am not the only one who wants this)
On Friday and Saturday nights it's OK if things get a little out of hand! :beer:

Links to EBAY should be A-Ok, no matter who's it is. If you see a guy abusing
first "nicely" remind them to chill, if it persists they get to join the band for the week.

Shut off the Auto-Ban deal.

The member map is lacking, needs updated to, It sure would be nice to easily find assistance / folks
who might be able to lend a hand if your traveling, and I do not mean a place for the
guy who takes off on bald tires and travels w/ a 300,000 mile engine but guys
who might be able to help, "COVER MY COSTS AND AND I CAN HELP IF NOT WORKING" or sometimes
just read me a TM section or tell me who might have a tire local.
Yea this is asking for a lot but you asked.

A comprehensive PREVIEW LOADOUT SHIPPING section by locale. Charge people
to put their name in it, but these would be vetted folks w/ phone numbers and
contact info.

Change the classified rule about having to post a solid price. MAKE OFFER
works everywhere else in the world, why not here? Now that the only
way to reply is via PM why not?

Make the STATE member editable after the fact in the classifieds.

Fix it so when you want a word to be a hyperlink to a YouTube that
indeed that happens instead of a forced viewer. I would rather just
link to a youtube sometimes vs it being forced on folks.

Turn on the EDIT feature in CONVERSATIONS on, and anywhere else it is shut off.

Increase the size limit on pictures. Case and point, in the Artisan's M916 thread
I recently posted a PS Magazine screen shot and the auto sizing makes it where
It is difficult to read.

Stop the begging for dollars in the chapel because someone's puppy needs surgery or
their insurance is due / stuff like that. Legit needs OK but I have seen a few
things that really irked me and I immediately suspected abuse.

Put Juan Prado in charge of the TM section and clean it up! Like an M915 Series area! :)

Make a store where guys who have something to sell can post a pic and folks can
shop by pictures instead of all the BTT and BUMPING in the classifieds.

Allow vetted people who have proven themselves to hold Group Buy Ins , publically.
50% to NOTHING downpayment MAX. Mods hands off totally. Charge a small fee if
it is successful. win win.

I will think of more :)

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If I were to make one change, I would create one section all by itself for political discussion. It would be limited to just that, political discussion. Any advocation of violence or the like would be grounds for banning. It would cut down on all the frustration and snide remarks in threads where they need not be, and would cut down on people breaking the no politics rule in threads where they shouldn't be and getting them banned and ruining the mood of the thread. If people don't want to discuss the politics they simply can not take part. Nobody would make them click on the politics section.
The only way I could see that flying would be to setup a forum that's an opt-in basis only.

I'd like to use the search button and not the advance search all the time. There is a google search bar covering it always. Don't know if that's on my end or not?

I do want to thank you for building/helping build my favorite forum. This has the friendliest and most helpful members I've come across.

Brett
That sounds like an issue on your PC. The google search bar and button should be just above the advanced search link.

I would like a "reply to all" option for PM's sent to 2 or more people.
Hmm, if there's not a major hack involved, let me see what I can do with that.

I would make an M915 Truck Series* area.
The 5Ton area is overloaded as it is and the M915 Series stuff gets lost.
The M915 is a completely different animal too.
*M915 M916 M917 M918 M919 M920 A1 A2 A3 A4 A
(I am not the only one who wants this)
I know in the past we've had people wanting separate forums for everything under the sun. Not sure how far I'd want to open that can of worms honestly.
On Friday and Saturday nights it's OK if things get a little out of hand! :beer:
Chatroom, mess hall.....

Links to EBAY should be A-Ok, no matter who's it is. If you see a guy abusing
first "nicely" remind them to chill, if it persists they get to join the band for the week.
Sorry, that's a legality issue, won't change.

Shut off the Auto-Ban deal.
If you're talking about the built in infraction system the site software has, nope, that stays. 5 chances are more than enough for someone to gain a level head on their shoulders.

The member map is lacking, needs updated to, It sure would be nice to easily find assistance / folks
who might be able to lend a hand if your traveling, and I do not mean a place for the
guy who takes off on bald tires and travels w/ a 300,000 mile engine but guys
who might be able to help, "COVER MY COSTS AND AND I CAN HELP IF NOT WORKING" or sometimes
just read me a TM section or tell me who might have a tire local.
Yea this is asking for a lot but you asked.
People already don't fill in their profile locations. Sorry but I have no control over what the users don't/won't do.

A comprehensive PREVIEW LOADOUT SHIPPING section by locale. Charge people
to put their name in it, but these would be vetted folks w/ phone numbers and
contact info.
Again, if you've got a means to get people to comply/do/whatever, I'm game.

Change the classified rule about having to post a solid price. MAKE OFFER
works everywhere else in the world, why not here? Now that the only
way to reply is via PM why not?
There's absolutely no problem of someone saying $1000 OBO. (Or Best Offer) But a base price has to be listed.

Make the STATE member editable after the fact in the classifieds.
Unfortunately it's a system limitation since it's a form. However, you can report the post and have some of the staff correct it.

Fix it so when you want a word to be a hyperlink to a YouTube that
indeed that happens instead of a forced viewer. I would rather just
link to a youtube sometimes vs it being forced on folks.
Again, it's a limitation. The site is setup to convert the link into a embedded viewer since more people would want that. You could go back and edit the post and use the hyperlink pop up window to force the link. It's a majority rules kinda pick on how it behaves. You're the first that has said they want it another way actually.

Turn on the EDIT feature in CONVERSATIONS on, and anywhere else it is shut off.
I can change that, but given the past it's concerning to think about what might come of it. I will give it serious consideration.

Increase the size limit on pictures. Case and point, in the Artisan's M916 thread
I recently posted a PS Magazine screen shot and the auto sizing makes it where
It is difficult to read.
Another balancing act unfortunately. Images are stored locally. We've got about 60gb of attachments alone.

Put Juan Prado in charge of the TM section and clean it up! Like an M915 Series area! :)
I'd love for someone to volunteer to help with the TM section. I just address it as I can personally.

Make a store where guys who have something to sell can post a pic and folks can
shop by pictures instead of all the BTT and BUMPING in the classifieds.
We had a store/classifieds system. That turned into a total disaster. Bumps are already limited to no more than one a week. Please feel free to report anything in violation.

Allow vetted people who have proven themselves to hold Group Buy Ins , publically.
50% to NOTHING downpayment MAX. Mods hands off totally. Charge a small fee if
it is successful. win win.
We've allowed a few group buys. But it always ends up the mods and staff having to deal with the fallout for some reason. Even though we're hands off on it.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I have a bag of popcorn and a margarita.

This has already been asked and answered, shot down or the thread locked.
Yes, I've had these threads before. They turned into a rant/complaint thread.

That's why I asked for the ground rules in place. But I see they're not being followed out of the gate.

Again folks, please let me know what you'd change, why you'd change it, and how it'd benefit others.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wave my magic wand with a capitalization/grammar/spell checker on the site that if the poster couldn't even spell Deuce correctly the post would not be allowed. That one change alone would reduce the amount of cruft members have to read through.

Well, you did ask.

ke5eua

Allow us to link to photo bucket, Google+, etc instead of forcing to upload the images.

I know there is the URL option but half the time I try to use it, it tells me that the picture is to big so I have to save it then upload it anyway.

If you allowed this it would reduce bandwidth and storage for pictures.

Also allowing more than 10 pictures per post.

Disable auto smiles in text to avoid this stuff :popcorn:. I know there is the option but nobody enables it when they start a thread.

There's more, some of which I've already voiced my opinion about to you in private and I'll keep it in private.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I know this is trivial but I guess that means I'm pretty darn satisfied... I just wish when I first come on SS it would go straight to the "Today's Post" page rather than the "Forums" page.

That would save me at least 20 clicks per day.:papabear:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
As far as the classifieds go, the OLD classifieds was so bad they were UN WORKABLE, the SITE asked the members WHAT they wanted fixed, the NEW classifieds REFLECT this, If members start witling away at the CLASSIFIEDS RULES, they will be BACK to the old classifieds, IF it starts to go that way then ebay and cl will be every ones friend because the classifieds will be shut down. The CLASSIFIEDS ARE up as a resource for members at the cost of a major EXTRA hassle for the MODS which they DO NOT NEED, they have enough work just keeping the SITE the BEST MV SITE on a day to day basis.

glassk

I know this is trivial but I guess that means I'm pretty darn satisfied... I just wish when I first come on SS it would go straight to the "Today's Post" page rather than the "Forums" page.

Go to the todays post with the button on the site , then add to favorite's bar and that will go to current "Todays Post", at home anyway,...

This won't work, so you may try

right click on Todays Post button on site, copy shortcut and then paste to desktop or add to task bar will open browser to SS Todays post I think,..

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Allow us to link to photo bucket, Google+, etc instead of forcing to upload the images.

I know there is the URL option but half the time I try to use it, it tells me that the picture is to big so I have to save it then upload it anyway.

If you allowed this it would reduce bandwidth and storage for pictures.

Also allowing more than 10 pictures per post.

Disable auto smiles in text to avoid this stuff :popcorn:. I know there is the option but nobody enables it when they start a thread.

There's more, some of which I've already voiced my opinion about to you in private and I'll keep it in private.
I get where you're coming from. That's one thing I personally don't like. But it's the wish of the owner. Remote links go dead. People delete images. That's why the site is setup like it is. I will see about increasing the number of photos per post as it would help me personally if 20 were allowed for the monthly MV poll. The smilies are an on or off setting, sorry.

See next :)

Go to the todays post with the button on the site , then add to favorite's bar and that will go to current "Todays Post", at home anyway,...

NSN or part numbers in Parts wanted section,
Well, now that you mention that, I will try to make a habit of doing that any time I post a WTB personally. But it's another behavior thing kind like before on user profiles/member map. I can see how that would help though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks