• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So, what's the one thing you'd change?

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So that's the one change. Are you closing the thread now until next time?

:):):)

hklvette

I second splitting up the "5T and up" section. The M809s have their unique issues and parts, as do the 939s, 915 series, HEMTTs, etc. I wouldn't ask the staff to filter through the piles of old posts to sort them into their appropriate places, instead have a thread in each of the new forums where the members can post links to old threads that have value.

Artisan

I second splitting up the "5T and up" section. The M809s have their unique issues and parts, as do the 939s, 915 series, HEMTTs, etc. I wouldn't ask the staff to filter through the piles of old posts to sort them into their appropriate places, instead have a thread in each of the new forums where the members can post links to old threads that have value.
I would be happy to help move, by whatever means, HIT REPORT BUTTON AND ENTER 915 perhaps or PM links...whatever.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
See the problem with moving is that it can only be done by moderators. Hitting report button would just pile up new threads in the staff forum. I could perhaps grant a person control over the 5 ton section to move them.

I didn't want to splinter the forums any more than they already were. But the HEMTT/PLS/HET's really have no place in the 5 ton section. I could see where there should be another area for that. Then when it comes to the M915/916/920's, they're kind of a odd duck. I would not break up the M939/809/39 series trucks since so many parts are shared among them.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Wait, good point about the PM though. If you could rummage around and find HEMTT/PLS/HET threads as well as the odd duck 915/916/920 threads and PM them to me or the staff, it'd be noting more than us opening each link and using the admin tool to move the thread to another area.

I would just need to build out those areas first.

Alexsha

I second the 5-Ton split. I would be nice to have the 5-Ton forum and sub-forums for all the families. M809, M939, M977/HEMTT, etc. We could still search the 5-Ton generally or specifically for model families.

Jeepsinker

An opt in thread for politics would be perfect. Many people want nothing to do with it, and we don't want to force it on anyone, which is why I suggested it be that way anyway. It would be appreciated by those of us that do want a section to discuss these things here though.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have a political forum as it relates to MVs.

There are hundreds if not thousands of forums on the Internet to discuss politics, use them.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will be contrary and suggest fewer fora, not more. Where is that left-hand thread lugnut forum again ?

Because there are 87 now, not counting the TMs. Thats why.

But, since its all about me and what interests me the most, I would propose a forum for tan, 8 cylinder vehicles with 4 wheels.

Last edited:

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
See the problem with moving is that it can only be done by moderators. Hitting report button would just pile up new threads in the staff forum. I could perhaps grant a person control over the 5 ton section to move them.

I didn't want to splinter the forums any more than they already were. But the HEMTT/PLS/HET's really have no place in the 5 ton section. I could see where there should be another area for that. Then when it comes to the M915/916/920's, they're kind of a odd duck. I would not break up the M939/809/39 series trucks since so many parts are shared among them.
Maybe I am wrong, but I have the feeling that the 809 and 39 series are very close while the 900 series is really different and much more modern beast (air brakes, automatic, etc). They 900 series are flooding the auctions now and the 5-ton forum as well. A lot of 5-ton questions are related to the 900 series and any new thread on the older 809 and 39 series are being snowed over with a day. For example, the first page of the 5-ton forum covering the last few days has only one thread about an 809, one about a HET and the rest is ALL 900 series. Owners of 809 or 39 trucks who are not daily on the site will miss most new threads unless they really spend a lot of time going through all the posts.

So I second (third, fourth, fifth?) the idea of splitting the 5-ton section.

I will think of something else, not much other problems. Bigger pictures would be nice but I realize the practical problems with that.

ke5eua

You could do different membership levels and each one gets you different perks.

Possibly add a little badge in the profile if you are a paid member, like the vendors get.

An actual ss store would be nice, have shirts, hats, key chains, stickers, magnets, calendars, etc...

For Carnac and his help with the vin info you could do a single page that has the fields that he needs and auto corrects for 1 and 0 as far as I and O and denies incorrect format to help him out, and it just auto posts it to the thread.

Expand the search function to allow Boolean searches.

Allow for higher resolution pictures. Tapa talk max is 1024.

Possibly better tapa talk integration for read forums.

An option in user setting to disable inbox popup notification.

I'll think of other stuff throughout the day, lol

jbayer

What: Being able to edit all of your posts/ titles, and a requirement to add why your editing, not optional.
Also Edited text to be italicized, highlighted, etc.
Why: Sometimes we make mistakes and want to correct them, but cant.
So you can see what changed.
Benefit: To better understand members posts

I work in the Quality department at my company, and many procedures get updated, and unless you have a printed copy,(which is technically a no-no) it's hard to tell whats changed.

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

We have a political forum as it relates to MVs.

There are hundreds if not thousands of forums on the Internet to discuss politics, use them.
While there are some good threads and Info in our current politics forum, it is little more than a joke. A political forum where people can't express their feelings and opinions, whether fact or not, is a sham. If you give people a specific place to do that then you won't have so many violators and ruined threads in other places. Fact is that many things affect our hobby that aren't immediately or directly related, but we can't talk about them lest we get banned. This is a forum, a place where people go to discuss both fact and opinion. We have plenty of good places on here to discuss fact, now give us one to discuss opinion. Simple request. It would be opt in, if yo don't want to deal with it you don't have to, but don't deprive everyone else of the choice.

ReoRider

Asking for suggestions to change something that is so darn good is challenging. My start in MV's was in a hard copy, or word of mouth world, as the only way to acquire any information about vehicles. However, the key then and now is being able to burrow down through great amounts of data to the narrow focus you need to address your vehicle issues. With the happily growing number of owners, daily increases in the amount of information posted, and the multiple generations of vehicles in use, it is a good thing we don't think only in terms of categories called "big trucks" and little trucks". Point being, part of the great success of the forum is the regular attention to splitting categories as the needs develop to continue to allow the efficient use of manual searching.

Since it is admittedly no small task to rearrange large inventories of posts, the conservative direction taken by the moderators has been appropriate. But, keeping in mind that the goal is to continue to develop new forums to respond to the actual inventory of vehicles, we are now at the point to make some additions.

A look through todays suggestions shows many requests concerning the "big truck" category (5 ton and up). Well the "and up" breaking out would be a great step. Other than for the occasional light switch or tail light, the parts and power trains are quite different from the 5 ton world. For anyone with one of the larger trucks, HET, HEMTT, PLS, LET (entire 915 series), M123, M911, etc., I suspect that all related postings concerning these vehicles are regularly read. Bigger rigs have common areas of focus (transport, weight, driving, etc.), that transcend the particular models.

So, how about a simple split at over 5 ton (needs a slick name) for a new category to enjoy the immediate bump in search efficiency, decrease in whining, and then allow some time to see how the new category evolves; the same approach that has worked well so far.

John

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While there are some good threads and Info in our current politics forum, it is little more than a joke. A political forum where people can't express their feelings and opinions, whether fact or not, is a sham. If you give people a specific place to do that then you won't have so many violators and ruined threads in other places. Fact is that many things affect our hobby that aren't immediately or directly related, but we can't talk about them lest we get banned. This is a forum, a place where people go to discuss both fact and opinion. We have plenty of good places on here to discuss fact, now give us one to discuss opinion. Simple request. It would be opt in, if yo don't want to deal with it you don't have to, but don't deprive everyone else of the choice.
You do know that WE (mods) do not own the site, correct? You do know that owner has laid down the rules of no political speech on the site, correct? Why is that so difficult to understand?

This isn't a political rant site and that's the way the owner wants it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks