Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: So, what's the one thing you'd change?

MVPA
    37424E
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,033 Times in 3,278 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepsinker View Post
    If I were to make one change, I would create one section all by itself for political discussion. It would be limited to just that, political discussion. Any advocation of violence or the like would be grounds for banning. It would cut down on all the frustration and snide remarks in threads where they need not be, and would cut down on people breaking the no politics rule in threads where they shouldn't be and getting them banned and ruining the mood of the thread. If people don't want to discuss the politics they simply can not take part. Nobody would make them click on the politics section.
    The only way I could see that flying would be to setup a forum that's an opt-in basis only.

Quote Originally Posted by rustyshakelford View Post
    I'd like to use the search button and not the advance search all the time. There is a google search bar covering it always. Don't know if that's on my end or not?

I do want to thank you for building/helping build my favorite forum. This has the friendliest and most helpful members I've come across.

Brett
    That sounds like an issue on your PC. The google search bar and button should be just above the advanced search link.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinwoodsman View Post
    I would like a "reply to all" option for PM's sent to 2 or more people.
    Hmm, if there's not a major hack involved, let me see what I can do with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Artisan View Post
    I would make an M915 Truck Series* area.
    The 5Ton area is overloaded as it is and the M915 Series stuff gets lost.
    The M915 is a completely different animal too.
    *M915 M916 M917 M918 M919 M920 A1 A2 A3 A4 A
    (I am not the only one who wants this)
    I know in the past we've had people wanting separate forums for everything under the sun. Not sure how far I'd want to open that can of worms honestly.
    On Friday and Saturday nights it's OK if things get a little out of hand!
    Chatroom, mess hall.....

Links to EBAY should be A-Ok, no matter who's it is. If you see a guy abusing
    first "nicely" remind them to chill, if it persists they get to join the band for the week.
    Sorry, that's a legality issue, won't change.

Shut off the Auto-Ban deal.
    If you're talking about the built in infraction system the site software has, nope, that stays. 5 chances are more than enough for someone to gain a level head on their shoulders.

The member map is lacking, needs updated to, It sure would be nice to easily find assistance / folks
    who might be able to lend a hand if your traveling, and I do not mean a place for the
    guy who takes off on bald tires and travels w/ a 300,000 mile engine but guys
    who might be able to help, "COVER MY COSTS AND AND I CAN HELP IF NOT WORKING" or sometimes
    just read me a TM section or tell me who might have a tire local.
    Yea this is asking for a lot but you asked.
    People already don't fill in their profile locations. Sorry but I have no control over what the users don't/won't do.

A comprehensive PREVIEW LOADOUT SHIPPING section by locale. Charge people
    to put their name in it, but these would be vetted folks w/ phone numbers and
    contact info.
    Again, if you've got a means to get people to comply/do/whatever, I'm game.

Change the classified rule about having to post a solid price. MAKE OFFER
    works everywhere else in the world, why not here? Now that the only
    way to reply is via PM why not?
    There's absolutely no problem of someone saying $1000 OBO. (Or Best Offer) But a base price has to be listed.

Make the STATE member editable after the fact in the classifieds.
    Unfortunately it's a system limitation since it's a form. However, you can report the post and have some of the staff correct it.

Fix it so when you want a word to be a hyperlink to a YouTube that
    indeed that happens instead of a forced viewer. I would rather just
    link to a youtube sometimes vs it being forced on folks.
    Again, it's a limitation. The site is setup to convert the link into a embedded viewer since more people would want that. You could go back and edit the post and use the hyperlink pop up window to force the link. It's a majority rules kinda pick on how it behaves. You're the first that has said they want it another way actually.

Turn on the EDIT feature in CONVERSATIONS on, and anywhere else it is shut off.
    I can change that, but given the past it's concerning to think about what might come of it. I will give it serious consideration.

Increase the size limit on pictures. Case and point, in the Artisan's M916 thread
    I recently posted a PS Magazine screen shot and the auto sizing makes it where
    It is difficult to read.
    Another balancing act unfortunately. Images are stored locally. We've got about 60gb of attachments alone.

Put Juan Prado in charge of the TM section and clean it up! Like an M915 Series area!
    I'd love for someone to volunteer to help with the TM section. I just address it as I can personally.

Make a store where guys who have something to sell can post a pic and folks can
    shop by pictures instead of all the BTT and BUMPING in the classifieds.
    We had a store/classifieds system. That turned into a total disaster. Bumps are already limited to no more than one a week. Please feel free to report anything in violation.

Allow vetted people who have proven themselves to hold Group Buy Ins , publically.
    50% to NOTHING downpayment MAX. Mods hands off totally. Charge a small fee if
    it is successful. win win.
    We've allowed a few group buys. But it always ends up the mods and staff having to deal with the fallout for some reason. Even though we're hands off on it.
    M114
    1992 M1038
    1969 M35A2 wo/w, hoist in bed, heater, Ooga horn, Recentered HEMTTs and 395's, "Candy Smasher"
    1968 M543A2 Wrecker - You know, for heavy lifting...
    1984 M931 - SEMTT project
    198? M270 trailer TBD...
    1985 M1008 - SMOKEY 8" lift, 37" humvee 24 bolt wheels/tires, turbocharged.
    And a few M105 and M101 and other trailers

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to patracy For This Useful Post:

firefox (07-26-2014), frank8003 (07-25-2014), SCSG-G4 (07-26-2014)

MVPA
    37424E
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by quickfarms View Post
    I have a bag of popcorn and a margarita.

This has already been asked and answered, shot down or the thread locked.
    Yes, I've had these threads before. They turned into a rant/complaint thread.

That's why I asked for the ground rules in place. But I see they're not being followed out of the gate.

Again folks, please let me know what you'd change, why you'd change it, and how it'd benefit others.
    M114
    1992 M1038
    1969 M35A2 wo/w, hoist in bed, heater, Ooga horn, Recentered HEMTTs and 395's, "Candy Smasher"
    198? M270 trailer TBD...

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patracy For This Useful Post:

73m819 (07-25-2014), firefox (07-26-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,148 Times in 2,694 Posts

Wave my magic wand with a capitalization/grammar/spell checker on the site that if the poster couldn't even spell Deuce correctly the post would not be allowed. That one change alone would reduce the amount of cruft members have to read through.

Well, you did ask.
    sw

Yes, that's an image of my skull.

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to swbradley1 For This Useful Post:

Artisan (07-25-2014), CARNAC (07-27-2014), dmetalmiki (05-25-2017), firefox (07-26-2014), jbayer (07-25-2014), michigandon (08-20-2014), ODFever (07-25-2014), porkysplace (07-25-2014), RAYZER (07-25-2014), stampy (07-27-2014)

Thanks

Allow us to link to photo bucket, Google+, etc instead of forcing to upload the images.

I know there is the URL option but half the time I try to use it, it tells me that the picture is to big so I have to save it then upload it anyway.

If you allowed this it would reduce bandwidth and storage for pictures.

Also allowing more than 10 pictures per post.

Disable auto smiles in text to avoid this stuff opcorn:. I know there is the option but nobody enables it when they start a thread.

There's more, some of which I've already voiced my opinion about to you in private and I'll keep it in private.
    Michael D. H.
    SGT (RET) US ARMY
    KE5EUA - Generally I'm an amateur of

Thanks
    Thanked 15,648 Times in 5,214 Posts

I know this is trivial but I guess that means I'm pretty darn satisfied... I just wish when I first come on SS it would go straight to the "Today's Post" page rather than the "Forums" page.

That would save me at least 20 clicks per day.
    Ignorance can be educated and crazy can be medicated but there is no cure for stupid.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to papabear For This Useful Post:

armytruck63 (07-28-2014), dmetalmiki (05-25-2017), GREENMV (06-19-2017), hndrsonj (07-25-2014), stampy (07-27-2014)

Thanks

NSN or part numbers in Parts wanted section,
    12 Volt Trailer Wire & 24 volt Electrical Tape GROVE SM31AS Maintenance Platform M60 60 amp Dist. Box
    M116A1, Mep002A MEP 026D,Fluke 51 K/J Themometer,M116A ,Rothco Military 100 Mph Cloth Duct Tape ,

Thanks
    Thanked 5,561 Times in 2,753 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by papabear View Post

Bit PB what other exercise would you get?
    "We are all born ignorant.....but one must work hard to remain stupid" - Benjamin Franklin

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Warthog For This Useful Post:

firefox (07-26-2014), SCSG-G4 (07-26-2014)

Rock = older than dirt
    GA. MAFIA
    Dirty deeds done dirt cheap
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,378 Times in 2,869 Posts

As far as the classifieds go, the OLD classifieds was so bad they were UN WORKABLE, the SITE asked the members WHAT they wanted fixed, the NEW classifieds REFLECT this, If members start witling away at the CLASSIFIEDS RULES, they will be BACK to the old classifieds, IF it starts to go that way then ebay and cl will be every ones friend because the classifieds will be shut down. The CLASSIFIEDS ARE up as a resource for members at the cost of a major EXTRA hassle for the MODS which they DO NOT NEED, they have enough work just keeping the SITE the BEST MV SITE on a day to day basis.
    Ron, AKA , FTF (FIVE TON FIXER), AKA KGR (kinder/gentler Ron)
    Gainesville, Ga.
    vietnam-1/66-8/68
    "Technical Manuals are the path to Illumination...
    Download, Study Learn"---rlwm211
    POOR PLANNING or NOT READING TM on your part does NOT constitute a EMERGENCY on our part.
    RECOVERIES (to a point) WHERE EVER, 703-389-6705, 73m819@gmail.com
    73m819, tractor/wrecker AKA NO LONGER Wrecked Wrecker
    What ever else that can be drug home
    Neutered 6X6s (bobbers) = 10t wheel chocks
    Use CUCVs, a small step below BOBBERS as 5t wheel chocks
    GOD help the MV or LEGO world if I win the LOTTERY
    Long live BIG GREEN IRON

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 73m819 For This Useful Post:

airbornebandsman (07-29-2014), firefox (07-26-2014), hndrsonj (07-25-2014), papabear (07-25-2014), Robo McDuff (07-25-2014), swbradley1 (07-25-2014)

Thanks

I know this is trivial but I guess that means I'm pretty darn satisfied... I just wish when I first come on SS it would go straight to the "Today's Post" page rather than the "Forums" page.

Go to the todays post with the button on the site , then add to favorite's bar and that will go to current "Todays Post", at home anyway,...

This won't work, so you may try

right click on Todays Post button on site, copy shortcut and then paste to desktop or add to task bar will open browser to SS Todays post I think,..
    Last edited by glassk; 07-25-2014 at 15:50. Reason: fav bar will not work
    12 Volt Trailer Wire & 24 volt Electrical Tape GROVE SM31AS Maintenance Platform M60 60 amp Dist. Box
    M116A1, Mep002A MEP 026D,Fluke 51 K/J Themometer,M116A ,Rothco Military 100 Mph Cloth Duct Tape ,

MVPA
    37424E
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ke5eua View Post
    Allow us to link to photo bucket, Google+, etc instead of forcing to upload the images.

I know there is the URL option but half the time I try to use it, it tells me that the picture is to big so I have to save it then upload it anyway.

If you allowed this it would reduce bandwidth and storage for pictures.

Also allowing more than 10 pictures per post.

Disable auto smiles in text to avoid this stuff opcorn:. I know there is the option but nobody enables it when they start a thread.

There's more, some of which I've already voiced my opinion about to you in private and I'll keep it in private.
    I get where you're coming from. That's one thing I personally don't like. But it's the wish of the owner. Remote links go dead. People delete images. That's why the site is setup like it is. I will see about increasing the number of photos per post as it would help me personally if 20 were allowed for the monthly MV poll. The smilies are an on or off setting, sorry.

See next

Quote Originally Posted by glassk View Post
    Go to the todays post with the button on the site , then add to favorite's bar and that will go to current "Todays Post", at home anyway,...

Quote Originally Posted by glassk View Post
    NSN or part numbers in Parts wanted section,
    Well, now that you mention that, I will try to make a habit of doing that any time I post a WTB personally. But it's another behavior thing kind like before on user profiles/member map. I can see how that would help though.
    M114
    1992 M1038
    198? M270 trailer TBD...

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast