• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So, what's the one thing you'd change?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
What about a notification sent to a member by using the @ symbol in front of the login name, like @Csm Davis if someone wanted me to look at something, it would send me a notification to look at a thread.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
That's a function of xenforo, not vb.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd like to see infractions removed from the account once they exceed the specified time period. At this time that is 365 days.

Even if it is past the 365 days, or thousands of days, the note and comment stays there permanently.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'd like to see infractions removed from the account once they exceed the specified time period. At this time that is 365 days.

Even if it is past the 365 days, or thousands of days, the note and comment stays there permanently.
The points will expire, but the comments will remain. Only you and the staff can see the comments though.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If possible, I would improve the "Banned" notification screen to actually inform the user that they're banned and provide an email address or some sort of information on who to contact if you think the ban occurred in error. For nearly 2 days I thought the site was down as I received a blank, white screen with only the text "Error 503 : Service Temporarily Unavailable". As it turns out, I was actually banned by triggering a False Positive in the security system.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If possible, I would improve the "Banned" notification screen to actually inform the user that they're banned and provide an email address or some sort of information on who to contact if you think the ban occurred in error. For nearly 2 days I thought the site was down as I received a blank, white screen with only the text "Error 503 : Service Temporarily Unavailable". As it turns out, I was actually banned by triggering a False Positive in the security system.
The 503 error serves another purpose. When someone is trying to exploit the site, getting 404 errors or vB related errors says the target is still exploitable. A 503 or page cannot be displayed can cause the attacker to assume the server is no longer functioning. They then have to use a different IP or simply can no longer carry on their attack. Because of this function, I will not be changing it.

nclandcruisers

I'd like to use the search button and not the advance search all the time. There is a google search bar covering it always. Don't know if that's on my end or not?

I do want to thank you for building/helping build my favorite forum. This has the friendliest and most helpful members I've come across.

Brett
Me too, that’s how it is on my phone too. Oh well. So much is great, so that’s ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1984 Manual 4-speed FJ60

and
Friend of a M925A2
Friend of a M35A2

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd like to see the default text for the "cool" smilely change from "8)" (number eight and a close parenthesis) to something else, such as "8^)" (number 8, carrot, and close parenthesis). Basically just to avoid unintentional smilies in posts.

What happens a lot is someone will type an NSN or Part Number in parentheses, and if the last number is an 8 it'll get clobbered with a smiley face unless they enter Advanced mode and uncheck "Disable smilies in text". This unintentional smiley replacement also disrupts searching the forum for that said part number or NSN. Also, some forums don't allow posts to be edited so if you make this "mistake" without first reviewing your post, you cannot change it without reporting the post to a moderator.

I believe this will happen even more this year, 2018, when a date is put in parentheses either (01/12/18) or (January, 12th, 2018)

ARYankee

I'm sure that this has been suggested somewhere already but I'd like to see a more detailed breakdown of the TM Section. What I mean by that is Present Conflict Vehicle TMs can be broken down into HMMWV, HEMTT, HET, FMTV. Just a suggestion.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm sure suggested before.... I'd like to see that paying members would be able to edit their posts beyond 3 months. Even if I had to pay MORE.

I use a few of my threads as online documentation, links, part numbers, etc that I often refer to. I hate it when I discover errors, discrepancies, or bad links that I have to petition a moderator to fix (and said fixes aren't always the way you'd want, even when you gave your best description of the change to be made).

joshuak

I'm sure suggested before.... I'd like to see that paying members would be able to edit their posts beyond 3 months. Even if I had to pay MORE.

I use a few of my threads as online documentation, links, part numbers, etc that I often refer to. I hate it when I discover errors, discrepancies, or bad links that I have to petition a moderator to fix (and said fixes aren't always the way you'd want, even when you gave your best description of the change to be made).
I'd like to second this petition.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

That's a global setting that won't change. Reporting the post in question with the edits to be made is part of our (staff) job here. No problem at all.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Image upload sucking less, and maybe image gallery support, so I could upload galleries without taking heat for posting flickr links that might one day rot...
I'm going to be increasing the photo size soon. But remotely hosted images still won't be a thing. (I honestly didn't like the upload here thing too, but after photobucket "kicked the bucket" I understand)

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hypothetical question. You were given the reigns of the site and were allowed to make a change. What would your change be? Why would you make the change? How would the change be an improvement?

I'd just like to hear some feedback from everyone. First, this isn't a personal rant thread. So this isn't the place for it. Next, it's gotta be in accordance with the site rules. Lastly, it's got to be in the realm of possibility. (Sorry, there's simply no way I can make a magic button you can press to handle anything and everything.)

So, have at it folks!
Pictures of the represented vehicles on each forum:

Not all of us are military or ex-military. Sometimes looking at pics to learn the vehicle, and then reading about stuff we might never own is fun.

Placing pics or diagrams of the vehicles and such as a sticky on top of the individual forums or on the forum links might make things more visually apparent and interesting.

IMHO

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks