• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So, what's the one thing you'd change?

Vintage iron

Yes, M915s and series trucks are their own animal. I am at the Weare NH rally this weekend but Martin Cox and I will weigh in on this next week.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Let me try this again.

Please offer suggestions WITH reasoning behind why the change should be made. The reasoning should be more than simply "I want it".

You could do different membership levels and each one gets you different perks.

Possibly add a little badge in the profile if you are a paid member, like the vendors get.
I could do that, but honestly that wasn't the point of paid membership.

An actual ss store would be nice, have shirts, hats, key chains, stickers, magnets, calendars, etc...
That would be a Chris call since we're moving into the realm of his trademark. I will ask him though.

Expand the search function to allow Boolean searches.
You'll need to talk to Google.

Allow for higher resolution pictures. Tapa talk max is 1024.
Again, discussed earlier about image size, plus that's a limitation of an app I have no control over.

Possibly better tapa talk integration for read forums.
See previous comment.

An option in user setting to disable inbox popup notification.
Already exists under your settings.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/profile.php?do=editoptions

Look for:
New Private Message Notification Pop-up

Is it possible to allow attachments on PM's?
Nope, will not happen ever again. I've been down that road. And honestly it scares me to think what could be lurking on the site repository.

R Racing

Ok I think we should add a M915-m920 to help us look up information easier that is more along the same subject . Instead of having to also search thru the m939 and m800 series in hope to find the answers. The trucks and parts and info is very different between them.

Barrman

Here is my suggestion:

Allow the "new post" button to work even after someone has logged on, hit it and then logged off. As in I might need to look up the part numbers for a M35A2 secondary fuel filters. However, I know if I get on the site and haven't been here in a few days. All the post that have happened since I was last able to read through them will not show up the next time I hit "new post".

I like reading everything that happens here. Both for a general knowledge point of view and the personallities. However, I don't open up this site unless I know I have a half hour to spend on it because if I don't get everything covered, it will be gone the next time I log in.

The down side to this and probably the reason you have it set the way it is I am sure has to do with people not wanting 5,000 post everytime they his "new post". I admit, I do scan the classified titles and unless it is near me or sounds amazing, I don't open the thread. But, "mark this forum read" works great to get them all gone in a click or two after I have seen all I want to.

Maybe I am the only one that waits for a known block of time before I get on here just for this reason. I don't know.

Jeepsinker

You do know that WE (mods) do not own the site, correct? You do know that owner has laid down the rules of no political speech on the site, correct? Why is that so difficult to understand?

Yes I understand all of this. The question was posed as to what I would change if I "Ran the site" and what reasons I would have for it. I answered the question and gave my justifications. I follow the rules here. Yes I have accidentally broken them once or twice and sometimes I do push the envelope a bit. I do not set out to cause ruckus, but some of our rules are ridiculous and you know it. There are a lot of good people that either left the site entirely or just don't come here to begin with because of that. Understand that I'm not saying that I won't follow the rules, I'm simply advocating for change when I was asked.

ke5eua

Drew, it's not just tapa talk about the resolution. When you upload a picture to the site it automatically scales it down to 800x600.

When trying to do detailed pictures this hinders the quality a lot. I understand the need for space, but you can still maintain low space while keeping a higher resolution if you use the right compression.

How about different themes. Right now there are just two, the standard and the high contrast.

In regards to the membership levels this is what I was referring to.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?77750-Premium-Membership-Explained

Also, joined dates. For some it's way off. I know for me I first joined in 2006 but it shows 2009. I've seen some that show pre '90s.

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Drew, it's not just tapa talk about the resolution. When you upload a picture to the site it automatically scales it down to 800x600.

When trying to do detailed pictures this hinders the quality a lot. I understand the need for space, but you can still maintain low space while keeping a higher resolution if you use the right compression.

How about different themes. Right now there are just two, the standard and the high contrast.

In regards to the membership levels this is what I was referring to.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?77750-Premium-Membership-Explained

Also, joined dates. For some it's way off. I know for me I first joined in 2005 but it shows 2009. I've seen some that show pre '90s.
Please read back through the thread. Simply put, larger files, larger storage needed. Already at 60+gb of attachments.

I really don't see any reasoning to split the membership levels.

Joined dates can vary. Some people were here even in the 90's. But the site didn't exist before the 90s. (Not that it was vB back then) If you find someone with a registration date of before the 90's please let me know so I can investigate it more.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would suggest embedding more statistics for "The Count" I would like to see in a thread the following statistics available:

Number of posts per member per thread
Average post per thread per day
Average post per thread per hour
Average number of users on site per in trend graphing broken out by member and guest
Most active threads per day by views and posts.

quickfarms

I agree that the 5 ton forum needs to be segregated into the early 5 tons ( ending with the 800 series) the 939 series trucks. The 915 through 920 series trucks should get there own forum and there should be a separate forum for over 5 ton

There also needs to be a separate forum for RV conversions, could these be referenced in more than one forum? Like duece and RV or 939 and RV etc.

How about the railroad forum

ke5eua

Please read back through the thread. Simply put, larger files, larger storage needed. Already at 60+gb of attachments.
Is site hosted locally or in the cloud? Do we need more storage? I did a test on an image file I uploaded in my build thread and saw a 10kb increase with 65% compression at 1024 compared to the 800 the site did.

If storage is the issue, allowing hosting of pics on pintrest, photobucket, picasa, and other sites would be a good thing. I understand the issue of dead links, but we get the same issue when uploading them.

I will offer up 2TB for file storage if it is needed for a backup of TM's, and such from my personal server if needed.

I really don't see any reasoning to split the membership levels.
Understand, just came across it and figured I would ask.

Joined dates can vary. Some people were here even in the 90's. But the site didn't exist before the 90s. (Not that it was vB back then) If you find someone with a registration date of before the 90's please let me know so I can investigate it more.
Not stirring the pot.

This is a great site for resources and would love to see it grow.

As far as the no politics, I can understand this after doing a google search for Chris Stansbury. I feel the owners stance on no politics is to protect the site more than anything. See for yourself what I'm referring to http://lmgtfy.com/?q=chris+stansbury

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't have anything to add. I see many requests for stuff that has already crashed and burned. The

title of the thread is "
[h=1]So, what's the one thing you'd change?"[/h]
I'm amazed at how many folks can't follow such a simple request. It clearly says one thing.

As far as breaking up the 5 ton forums, I would support a test run of this. I would prefer to see the M39, M809 and M939 trucks together as they are the same family of trucks. 916-920 forum would be fine and then a heavy forum for the HEMTTs and MK48s and such. Perhaps tonnage isn't such a great method of separating them.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I agree that the 5 ton forum needs to be segregated into the early 5 tons ( ending with the 800 series) the 939 series trucks. The 915 through 920 series trucks should get there own forum and there should be a separate forum for over 5 ton

There also needs to be a separate forum for RV conversions, could these be referenced in more than one forum? Like duece and RV or 939 and RV etc.

How about the railroad forum
The RV thing. I hadn't even thought about that. But you're right, there's a lot of that here. As to the railroad forum. That's all on Adam to make it happen. :)

Is site hosted locally or in the cloud? Do we need more storage? I did a test on an image file I uploaded in my build thread and saw a 10kb increase with 65% compression at 1024 compared to the 800 the site did.

If storage is the issue, allowing hosting of pics on pintrest, photobucket, picasa, and other sites would be a good thing. I understand the issue of dead links, but we get the same issue when uploading them.
Locally with an offsite backup with a database backup that is rotated. The owner has said he doesn't want dead links, so it will remain as is. Videos have been a concession with it though as they quickly suck down the storage space.

As far as breaking up the 5 ton forums, I would support a test run of this. I would prefer to see the M39, M809 and M939 trucks together as they are the same family of trucks. 916-920 forum would be fine and then a heavy forum for the HEMTTs and MK48s and such. Perhaps tonnage isn't such a great method of separating them.
That would be my wish as well for a breakdown on these "heavy duty" trucks.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd love for someone to volunteer to help with the TM section. I just address it as I can personally.
I'm really busy at the moment with other things (the last few weeks I haven't done much moderating at all) but when things calm down I'll work on the TM section, unless you can find someone else to do it.

I know it's a mess and has been on my "to do" list.

Tornadogt

I don't have anything to add. I see many requests for stuff that has already crashed and burned. The

title of the thread is "
So, what's the one thing you'd change?"

I'm amazed at how many folks can't follow such a simple request. It clearly says one thing.

I am completely in agreement with the break-up adjustment above with regards to the 5-ton section. Please, Thank you.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Forget the politics.

When the owner posted an announcement that he was running for a local political position, I requested he delete the thread. He agreed, this is not the place for it.

Forget it.

Last edited:

hklvette

I respectfully submit that the M39, 809, and 939 are NOT the same trucks. They certainly have similarities and in some cases share parts, but not so much to warrant sharing the same forum. In my opinion that would be similar to saying that the 939s and the 915-920 should share a forum because they have air brakes and automatic transmissions, which nobody has suggested.

That all said I am glad that this site exists at all, because without it most of us would be fumbling in the dark or not even known that MVs existed so if no changes come, that's okay too.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ageed, not the same trucks. What I did say is family of trucks. When they share frames, some engines, basic axle designs, cabs and covers they are the same family. Almost none of this is shared with the M915/916/920 trucks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks